Contribute
Register

(SOLVED) Sapphire Pulse RX 570 blackscreen on boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z490-A
CPU
Intel i9-10850k along with Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler
Graphics
Primary: Sapphire Pulse RX 570, Secondary: UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I purchased this card believing it would work straight out of the box. Man was I wrong!! NVidia cards were so simple and so easy compared to Radeon this is driving me literally up the wall.

My profile is correct about my gear, I have been doing this actually ever since Apple first announced in 2005 then released the first Intel Mac in 2006 then the first boot loader was created. I do NOT miss those days.

This Sapphire Pulse RX 570 card has these ports: 2 DP, 2 HDMI and 1 DVI.

I have tried using both HDMIs and the 1 DVI port. I ordered both a DP to HDMI adapter and a DP to DVI cable just in case. I wanted to make sure. My monitor doesn't have a HDMI but only a DVI port and the old VGA port. I use a 24" LCD so I don't see a need to upgrade my monitor. I do have a HDMI to DVI cable that helps.

Here is what I have tried so far:

I installed Catalina using my Intel 4600 onboard graphics. This is what I was using for about a month now before I decided to purchase the RX 560. I did get the hardware acceleration going on the 4600 by adding the correct ig-platform-id or the one to be found most useful for the 4600. Works great except whenever I am exporting videos, just takes way too long. Works great in Photoshop so no issues there.

Lilu and Whatevergreen was already installed in /Other directory on my EFI partition. I also updated them earlier today from their github creators.

1. Made a back up of my EFI folder to another hdd directory where I save my stuff to.
2. I opened my config.plist and unchecked whatever I was using for the 4600 in >Graphics:
a. Load VBios
b. Inject Intel
c. made sure nothing was in the ig-platform-id box. Only thing that shows 0x but not in dark colors.
3. Looked in >System Parameters to make sure NvidiaWeb was unchecked.
4. Looked in >Devices to make sure the Fake ID all read 0X0
5. Saved config.plist and rebooted.
6. Went into Bios, changed IGRX to PCIe1 to make sure it boots from the RX 570 card first. Then I completely disabled the onboard Intel HD4600 graphics a few choices down.
7. Saved and restarted. Switched Cable to HDMI.
8. Video showed up and whenever I got to Clover everything was perfect so far. I decided to look around in options to make sure I did not miss anything and under Graphics Inject ATI was not check nor the RadeonInit (different name though can't recall but its the same thing). Both were unchecked.
9. Booted and it only boots to black screen.
10. I wanted to test to see if it was actually booting to desktop so I pressed on my spacebar to see if would make a sound. Yep I heard the "Funk" sound every time I pressed the space bar just like it would make if I were normally on the Desktop.
11. So, I rebooted, Clover >option> checked both InjectATI and RadeonInit. Still the same thing.
12. Then I wanted to see if I could actually install OS X Catalina using Tonymacx86 unibeast thumb drive setup as it creates a vanilla EFI on the thumb drive. I knew if I could do that then there is something wrong with my EFI. But, nope, it did the exact same thing!!!
13. I then read to disable CSM in the bios. This is a way, way no go. I tried it and if I disable CSM my PC only reboots whenever OSX begins to load. From my understanding "Other" is suppose to be chosen under OS Type but the only way to disable CSM is to change this to Windows 8 or Windows 8 WHQL then below that you can disable CSM but it disables EVERYTHING, ALL the UEFI OPROM, everything. So how did others get it to work is beyond me!!!

So, I am NOW lost at this point and have no clue what to do until I wait until my DP to HDMI adapter and/or DP to DVI cable gets hear to the house.

If anybody has a solution please let me know....

Attach is my config.plist and a screenshot of the contents of whats in my /Other directory.

I am a simple person. I use this machine for 3 things, my Pro Tools Subscription, my Creative Cloud subscription and Microsoft Word. I don't play video games and I do use it to browse the internet whenever I am not using my iPad Pro 12.9".

I would appreciate any and all help. I normally would just read through all the topics but this one I cannot find an answer. I am stumped!!!

Thank you in advance to the great people here.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 7.31.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 7.31.29 PM.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 159
I would like to add something else. I was able to BOOT with the RX 570 installed using the HD4600 graphics HDMI output. In System Report the RX 570 showed up perfectly with the 4GB of memory.

So I ask, can I just use the RX 570 like a secondary card for the Creative Cloud Applications like Adobe Premiere whenever I export my videos? IN Adobe Premiere and Photoshop it gives me the choice which video card to use...But I don't know if hardware acceleration is enabled or not because I never tried it. I only want to use this card for Adobe Premiere and Photoshop in all reality.

I think this is a common issue with black screens and booting from hdmi and dvi ports. not sure if anyones put together the pieces and figured it all out. i had luck using clover v4934, while newer versions would not work. I also patched the amd9500.kext in clover to assign dynamic ports (search for that). i agree, the card will show up correctly, but there is some problem with the amd controller connecting to it, possibly it will work as second display.

I think this is a common issue with black screens and booting from hdmi and dvi ports. not sure if anyones put together the pieces and figured it all out. i had luck using clover v4934, while newer versions would not work. I also patched the amd9500.kext in clover to assign dynamic ports (search for that). i agree, the card will show up correctly, but there is some problem with the amd controller connecting to it, possibly it will work as second display.
I will do a search on patching the amd9500.kext. I've been searching on multiple GPUs on Mac Pros and they are supported so my idea may work but I will first see if I can get it going as primary first.

Thanks

With your Haswell system you should be running the system with either an iMac 14,2 or iMac 15,1 SMBIOS. iMac 15,1 if you are looking to run Big Sur.

The Intel HD4600 should be set with an Empty/Headless framebuffer, in Device Properties section. That is it shouldn't be used to drive a display, the RX 570 should be the only GPU connected to a display. I have attached a couple of screenshots showing what a Headless Framebuffer for a HD4600 should look like.

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 21.10.56.png

Close up view of Device Properties section with Headless framebuffer for HD4600
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 21.11.03.png

The RX 570 requires you use the RadeonDeInit=true graphics option in Clover, or a custom SSDT-Radeon-DeInit.aml in OpenCore, which has to be set to match the ACPI address for your Discrete GPU. Otherwise you end up with a Black Screen when you should see the Login Screen.

Clover Configurator > Graphics tab with RadeonDeInit=true option highlighted.
Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 21.10.11.png

When possible use a DisplayPort connection from the DGPU to the display. A DP connection not being possible then use a DVI cable and connection. Steer clear of adapters if at all possible. Lastly try using a HDMI cable and connection. The reason the HDMI is last is because Apple have never used HDMI on any of their systems and they can be really flaky on a Hack. Don't even think about using a VGA connection, they are less likely to work than a HDMI connection.

With your Haswell system you should be running the system with either an iMac 14,2 or iMac 15,1 SMBIOS. iMac 15,1 if you are looking to run Big Sur.

The Intel HD4600 should be set with an Empty/Headless framebuffer, in Device Properties section. That is it shouldn't be used to drive a display, the RX 570 should be the only GPU connected to a display. I have attached a couple of screenshots showing what a Headless Framebuffer for a HD4600 should look like.

View attachment 511065

Close up view of Device Properties section with Headless framebuffer for HD4600
View attachment 511066

The RX 570 requires you use the RadeonDeInit=true graphics option in Clover, or a custom SSDT-Radeon-DeInit.aml in OpenCore, which has to be set to match the ACPI address for your Discrete GPU. Otherwise you end up with a Black Screen when you should see the Login Screen.

Clover Configurator > Graphics tab with RadeonDeInit=true option highlighted.
View attachment 511064

When possible use a DisplayPort connection from the DGPU to the display. A DP connection not being possible then use a DVI cable and connection. Steer clear of adapters if at all possible. Lastly try using a HDMI cable and connection. The reason the HDMI is last is because Apple have never used HDMI on any of their systems and they can be really flaky on a Hack. Don't even think about using a VGA connection, they are less likely to work than a HDMI connection.
I will take a look at that. After I set everything back to using my onboard HD 4600 I noticed something in the "About This Mac"...Before this was showing Intel Iris Graphics or something similar but now its actually showing the proper internal graphics. That is weird because I really didn't do anything different than I did before I tried the RX570. Anytime I tried the RX570 I disabled everything about the HD 4600 in the bios and in Clover Configurator, this I made sure of. But now I realize I don't need the RX 570 just as a secondary card so whenever I am exporting videos in Adobe Premiere, Premiere will use that card instead of my HD 4600. In the Preferences its gives me a choice of which video card I can use.

I changed my SMBios to 15,1 earlier after reading more all of this, no issues whatsoever so far.

I will give what you provided a shot in a bit. Thank you very much...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 6.24.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 6.24.44 PM.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 97

that's not strictly true, to my knowledge. I am not using either of those and it works. Maybe whatevergreen is fixing the deinit-reinit stuff, but I know it does not fix it on clover 5120. this can be a big headache. whatevergreen faq says don't do any framebuffer or any clover graphics fixes, but that does not solve things for me.

@majikthise so your solution is to do what exactly? Nothing? How will that resolve the OP's black screen issue?

So to the best of my knowledge:
  • WhateverGreen.kext does not include RadeonDeInit in any form or function.
  • It doesn't fix the Wake/Sleep black screen issue the RadeonDeInit=true option in Clover fixes, or the SSDT fixes in OpenCore.
  • The WhateverGreen manual/FAQ does not say not to use the RadeonDeInit option, it says not to use the AMD/ATI Framebuffer entry, ATI Ports, VRAM, Inject Intel, ATI and Nvidia entries and other IGPU related options.
  • The Dortania Guide for OC recommends you use an SSDT-Radeon-DeInit.aml in place of the CLOVER graphics RadeonDeInit option. The one linked in the guide is for a dGPU with GFX0 ACPI device name. See this Clover/OC conversion page for details - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/clover-conversion/Clover-config.html
You are probably one of the fortunate ones if your RX570 works out of the box, with no issues whatsoever and you don't need the RadeonDeInit SSDT or Clover option.

I will take a look at that. After I set everything back to using my onboard HD 4600 I noticed something in the "About This Mac"...Before this was showing Intel Iris Graphics or something similar but now its actually showing the proper internal graphics. That is weird because I really didn't do anything different than I did before I tried the RX570. Anytime I tried the RX570 I disabled everything about the HD 4600 in the bios and in Clover Configurator, this I made sure of. But now I realize I don't need the RX 570 just as a secondary card so whenever I am exporting videos in Adobe Premiere, Premiere will use that card instead of my HD 4600. In the Preferences its gives me a choice of which video card I can use.

I changed my SMBios to 15,1 earlier after reading more all of this, no issues whatsoever so far.

I will give what you provided a shot in a bit. Thank you very much...
I find a solution for my black screen problem, ryzentosh + Radeon RX 5700 XT ; it’s not an orthodox solution, but … it works

We can solve the problem restarting WindowServer process, so I create a new user with admin privileges (I called it "reset”, but this is a personal choice) and i build a simple AppleScript to add in login element.

The script is very simple:

AppleScript:
do shell script "killall -HUP WindowServer" password "password" with administrator privileges

Insert “reset” password and save it as application and then add to user “reset” elements login.

Now, you can use it in case of black screen; you can do a blind login into “reset” account.
Killing WindowsServer force a user logout and you are redirect in login windows.

Before doing all this work, log in via ssh into the mac and ...

Bash:
killall -HUP WindowServer

Last edited:
that's not strictly true, to my knowledge. I am not using either of those and it works. Maybe whatevergreen is fixing the deinit-reinit stuff, but I know it does not fix it on clover 5120. this can be a big headache. whatevergreen faq says don't do any framebuffer or any clover graphics fixes, but that does not solve things for me.
I read this also that after a certain OS X version RadeonInit is not needed because waterevergreen fixes all that. I haven't had the chance to install the RX570 back yet to test everything. I just received the DP to HDMI adapter yesterday so I am going to give it a shot in a few minutes, maybe, if my left arm will quit throbbing in pain. I have a pinch nerve in my neck, its driving me nuts currently!!!

I will first try without the RadeonInit.

And from the looks of all the reading I may as well begin to reading up on installing OpenCore on my system. I plan on upgrading one more time and hopefully this will be it for me. I am 52 years old and I just received two Xeon CPUs 10 cores each so I am going to build a 2 CPU machine with 20 cores/40 threads. This should hold me over for years to come. I doubt I will have to upgrade ever again to be honest unless the hardware goes bad.

I will let you all know how it goes in a bit...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back