RX 480
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
I thought rx 580 worked straight out of the box? is there something I am doing wrong? Is it because I'm running high Sierra? would it work if I did a fresh install of Mojave?
sorry I'm a noob when it comes to hackintosh. When I run the card it's self, it goes black screen after apple logo load. Also on another note, when I run my rtxx 2080 with it as secondary, it will only load to desktop in safe boot. Anyway I can run this card while I have my Nvidia rtxx 2080 connected for my windows? I hope I didn't buy this card for nothing lol

My rx 580 worked fine on high sierra. Make sure CSM is disabled in the bios. You may also need whatevergreen and lilu; I have them and haven't tried without so I'm not sure if they are needed or not.

As for using the 2080 in windows only; I'm not sure on that. I think you may need to use an ssdt to disable it for mac os. I was looking at doing something similar with using the onboard intel graphics for mojave and using my gtx 960 (when I had it) in windows.

EDIT: Here is a link I had bookmarked about disabling a GPU using SSDT: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-g45-z87-gaming-mac-os-high-sierra-guide.249660/ You may be able to tweak things to disable your 2080.

Last edited:
My rx 580 worked fine on high sierra. Make sure CSM is disabled in the bios. You may also need whatevergreen and lilu; I have them and haven't tried without so I'm not sure if they are needed or not.

As for using the 2080 in windows only; I'm not sure on that. I think you may need to use an ssdt to disable it for mac os. I was looking at doing something similar with using the onboard intel graphics for mojave and using my gtx 960 (when I had it) in windows.

EDIT: Here is a link I had bookmarked about disabling a GPU using SSDT: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/msi-g45-z87-gaming-mac-os-high-sierra-guide.249660/ You may be able to tweak things to disable your 2080.

I've tried everything. OMG. "LIES LIES LIES" from the hackintosh community saying RX 580 works straight out the box! lol What i've done so far :

1. Disabled secure boot in bios
2. Installed Whatevergreen + Lilu in EFI folders : S/L/E l/E EFI folder kexts other and 10.13 ( high sierra at the time now im mojave) = 10.14
3. Edited my config list. Did the radeon inject settings
4. Changed definitions from 14,2 to 18,3 17,1 ( Honestly haven't tried this yet since i went back to mojave from high sierra)
I've tried pretty much it all. Still black screen. I restored with time machine back to mojave, same black screen after apple logo load.
5. I read around somewhere on tony mac forums that some people tried with the display ports, that didn't work

Secure boot and CSM are not the same thing.
ok? thanks for that info. So what exactly is CSM??? where would i find that in an ASUS bios settings?

ok? thanks for that info. So what exactly is CSM??? where would i find that in an ASUS bios settings?

CSM is a BIOS setting.
The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.
What is the model is your ASUS board?
I know on my Gigabyte board the CSM setting didn’t show up unless I had set Windows 8 Setting as “windows 8”
Previously I had it set as “other” and this didn’t allow me to see the CSM setting.

Attachments

• 75C414A3-64EA-44A3-868D-E700A2AD0DFE.jpeg
    75C414A3-64EA-44A3-868D-E700A2AD0DFE.jpeg
    552.8 KB · Views: 2,151
CSM is a BIOS setting.
The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.
What is the model of your ASUS board?
I know on my Gigabyte board the CSM setting didn’t show up unless I had set Windows 8 Setting as “windows 8”
Previously I had it set as “other” and this didn’t allow me to see the CSM setting.

MAXIMUS VII FORMULA

Attachments

• 8A114589-C97B-4E95-BC70-AD9A4319FC7E.jpeg
    8A114589-C97B-4E95-BC70-AD9A4319FC7E.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 1,394
Last edited:
This is from an older board.
Does your BIOS look similar to this?

Reading here:
https://rog.asus.com/articles/hands-on/rampage-iv-uefi-boot-installation-guide-on-windows-7-or-8/

It appears that, according to this article by ASUS, to disable secure boot on an ASUS board “other” must be selected”
It may be that the CSM option is still available to you even if “other” is chosen. This would differ from my Gigabyte board.

IT WORKED! LOL IT DOES WORK OUT OF THE BOX! My next problem now is getting mac not to detect my rtx 2080 when i have the RX 580 plugged in... *sighs**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back