Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix H370-I Gaming
CPU
I3-8100
Graphics
iGPU
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My build (listed below) works. Lan, Audio, HDMI, USB, are working. Without the RX580 card, MacFan control sees all the sensors. Put the 580 card in and MacFan Control only sees the hard drive and the m.2 drive temps.
At boot, everything is normal Hackintosh. No video output until login screen. Fans spin on the 580 card UNTIL the login screen, then they stop. All other case and CPU fans are working and ramping per the BIOS settings. I ran a quick performance test on the 580 and it's kicking butt. So the card is working.

What would cause the GPU card to suddenly stop running its fans?

Build:
MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC
i7 7800k 6 core OC @4.7ghz
MSI RX 580 Armor GPU, 4 gig
32 gigs DDR4 2666 ram
iMac 18,3

KEXTs: (in clover Kext 'Other' folder)
See screenshot attached.

Other settings:
RadeonDeinit on
ATI inject on
PEGO -->GFX0

This is a stumper, to say the least. TIA for any help. Love to see those fans spinning.
current plist and screenshot of Kexts attached.

Bob

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 255
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.25.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.25.26 PM.png
    52 KB · Views: 543
A bit of an update. Did a total rebuild of the High Sierra installer and started over. No change.
Did a Bios update on the MoBo. That had a nice result. Now when it boots, there's never a loss of video out the HDMI port on the 580 card. You see the mac Apple and the boot progress bar, which is different. Not used to seeing anything until the login screen. And all the board/fan sensors are now reporting to the MacFanControl software.

BUT no luck on the RX580 fans. They stop when the login screen appears.
Thoughts on how to figure this out appreciated.
Bob

Why do you expect the fans to spin in idle? Any modern GPU will shut them off as soon as the drivers take over control.

Good point. But when you run a short stress test on the GPU, and the heat pipes get too hot to touch...and the fans do not spin up, Huston we have a problem.

Good point. But when you run a short stress test on the GPU, and the heat pipes get too hot to touch...and the fans do not spin up, Huston we have a problem.
My fans are stopped during idle and spin when GPU is loaded (e.g. Luxmark test).
To monitor the AMD GPU fan speed (or NVIDIA), you can use the HWSensorsSMC2 App in the HWSensors3 package.
There's no need to install any of the kexts in that package - just copy the HWSensorsSMC2 App to Applications.
Run it, and click on the gear icon (preferences) at the bottom left and tick "Use IOAccelerator's monitoring for GPUs" and restart the App.

I see this:

macnb... I like that fan info software. Thanks.
So the outcome is that after rebooting dozens of time working on other little issues and testing, the fans now spin up under load. I ran a transcode of video files from high-end digital cinema cameras (RED 3k raw files), which brings anything to its knees, the fans jumped into action. Nice.

For those benchmarking stuff like this... A 2014 trashcan with 4 cores renders these files at 12fps. My build does 20fps rendering.
The same trashcan rendering Arri ProRes HQ4444, 3k files to h.264 1080p... 30fps. My build...68fps. Same render to both ProRes and Avids DNxHD codec (at the same time)....117fps.

This machine is being built to specifically handle several TB of camera data per day, on movie and TV series productions. If the machine isn't blowing flames out the tailpipe, it's not going to keep up. But there's a cost-value point and that seems to be 6 cores OC'd and a middle of the road graphics card.

So that is solved, in a passive way, but solved.

Now on to getting wifi to work....
Bob

Joedub: Absolutely. This is becoming the norm in this niche. In fact, one of the configurations that works rather well, is a beefy Hackintosh as the core with an older macMini as a thin client front end. Taking the proper precautions (mirrored boot drive, ability to boot into Windows if needs be... most software we use run on both OS's), don't push the build into extreme limits with OC'ing, etc., these builds are reliable. One must do the physical build with the understanding that the computer will be in a hostile work environment and moved around a lot.

Maybe when/if Apple releases a new TrashCan replacement that is appealing, a lot of us on production sets, will move back to Apple hardware. Until then, we need to move and process data fast. Something the dated MacPros aren't up for anymore. And a $10k iMacPro is just plain stupid when it comes to cost-benefit ratios. In post-production, these machines set in the corner and crank through editing and color correction without breaking a sweat. With the exception of DaVinci Resolve color correction software when you export h.264. Their code throws these machines into kernel panic using AMD GPUs. Easily fixable using Nvidia stuff.

But each to his own comfort level when it comes to implementing these cool little computer builds.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Bob

So what you're saying is you're trying to use a Hackingtosh in a professional setting? *shakes head*

Everything I made here was using a hackintosh:

About the non-spinning fans, I usually never check if they are spinning but as long temps are normal you shouldn't bother.

Hey brother,

I'm having this same problem with the RX 580 about the non spinning fans. I just did the Catalina Hackintosh, and its running perfectly.

The only problem is the graphic card fans, any suggestion bout how to solve that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back