i9-10900
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After all the good news about the Radeon cards I have bought an RX570 yesterday and it's working great with Lilu and Whatevergreen.kext. I have thought that it even would work without these kexts but that doen't work for me. I use iMac 18.3 SMBIOS . Now I have one problem left. I tried to install an macOS update to see what happens and I have no display on the 2nd step. After the following reboot my display coms back and the update succeeds. Is there any way to have display on all setup steps like I always had on my Nvidia card? Also I would like to be independent to whatevergreen. Is that possible with my RX570?

Finally I have found the solution myself: Use iMac 14.2 SMBIOS! This makes the card work OOB without make use of WhateverGreen.kext

Edit: You can use SMBIOS 18.3 with the Board-Id from iMac 14.2. I use that myself now.

Last edited:
Finally I have found the solution myself: Use iMac 14.2 SMBIOS! This makes the card work OOB without make use of WhateverGreen.kext

Edit: You can use SMBIOS 18.3 with the Board-Id from iMac 14.2. I use that myself now.
I have been trying to hash this out on a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard, for which I have used a system definition of 17,1 for High Sierra and have a Pulse RX580 8Gb card that had worked just fine in 10.13.3. When I upgraded to 10.13.4, it initially worked until this past weekend I got it back out (it is a backup machine) and all of a sudden the black screen on boot up started. Why? Not sure. So like you I have tried all kinds of fixes, going back to Lilu/WEG (no luck) and the only thing that worked was going back to a system definition of 14,2.

As far as I know, that hampers your system performance some what as it expects a Core i5 CPU, and I have a Core i7 with 64Gb of RAM and need all of it as I do large panoramas in Autopano Giga and Photoshop and Affinity Photo. This bugged me and when I saw your suggestion of creating a SMBIOS that was accurate for your hardware, then changing the board ID back to a 14,2 ID, a little light went off which reminded me of the days of endlessly trying to fix black screens (and avoid them) when I used Nvidia cards.

So I did a little experimenting and viola! got success with the accurate definition. It turns out I had the same problem that foils Nvidia cards in this file:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

And BTW, your approach of substituting a 14,2 board ID did work with me after setting up the smbios as 17.1. So I knew somewhere the board ID was causing something to be amiss.

So I edited the above listed Info.plist file and under the correct board ID for a 17,1 definition I simply changed the "Config2" to "none" and saved it. I returned the SMBIOS board ID to the correct one for a 17,1 definition. THEN (and don't forget this) I had to rebuild the system cache by using the now correct method using this command at the terminal:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then shut down the computer and restart.

Now, I have a fully correct SMBIOS AND the computer boots without a black screen.

So your hint, gave me the road map, and this worked like a charm. Will it last through coming upgrades? Not sure, so keep that Unibeast install stick close by :)

I have been trying to hash this out on a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5 motherboard, for which I have used a system definition of 17,1 for High Sierra and have a Pulse RX580 8Gb card that had worked just fine in 10.13.3. When I upgraded to 10.13.4, it initially worked until this past weekend I got it back out (it is a backup machine) and all of a sudden the black screen on boot up started. Why? Not sure. So like you I have tried all kinds of fixes, going back to Lilu/WEG (no luck) and the only thing that worked was going back to a system definition of 14,2.

As far as I know, that hampers your system performance some what as it expects a Core i5 CPU, and I have a Core i7 with 64Gb of RAM and need all of it as I do large panoramas in Autopano Giga and Photoshop and Affinity Photo. This bugged me and when I saw your suggestion of creating a SMBIOS that was accurate for your hardware, then changing the board ID back to a 14,2 ID, a little light went off which reminded me of the days of endlessly trying to fix black screens (and avoid them) when I used Nvidia cards.

So I did a little experimenting and viola! got success with the accurate definition. It turns out I had the same problem that foils Nvidia cards in this file:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/Info.plist

And BTW, your approach of substituting a 14,2 board ID did work with me after setting up the smbios as 17.1. So I knew somewhere the board ID was causing something to be amiss.

So I edited the above listed Info.plist file and under the correct board ID for a 17,1 definition I simply changed the "Config2" to "none" and saved it. I returned the SMBIOS board ID to the correct one for a 17,1 definition. THEN (and don't forget this) I had to rebuild the system cache by using the now correct method using this command at the terminal:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Then shut down the computer and restart.

Now, I have a fully correct SMBIOS AND the computer boots without a black screen.

So your hint, gave me the road map, and this worked like a charm. Will it last through coming upgrades? Not sure, so keep that Unibeast install stick close by :)

As long as you have to update a system kext file to reach that goal you will have to repeat that step with every update. That's why I use the simple way to change the Board-ID. I have not had a negative effect with that . I had to use that as well with my GTX770 and 17,1 definition to avoid the Black screen boot. Later SMBIOS 18,3 was the solution which did work without any changes . Now with my RX570 SMBIOS 18,3 gave me a black screen too. So I did try the good known solution from Piker-Alpha.

As long as you have to update a system kext file to reach that goal you will have to repeat that step with every update. That's why I use the simple way to change the Board-ID. I have not had a negative effect with that . I had to use that as well with my GTX770 and 17,1 definition to avoid the Black screen boot. Later SMBIOS 18,3 was the solution which did work without any changes . Now with my RX570 SMBIOS 18,3 gave me a black screen too. So I did try the good known solution from Piker-Alpha.
It's good to know that the simple substitution is a fix. As long as you haven't seen any degradation in performance, then that very well may be the better way. I am wondering why all of a sudden it changed? I use two other RX580 cards on a GA-Z170X-UD4 board and one on a GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 board, neither of which did this. Granted they use a slightly different card, but the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8Gb is supposed to be more compatible than the Powercooler Red Devil RX580 8Gb.

Just curious about one more thing. What is the Piker-Alpha known fix you are referring to?

After all the good news about the Radeon cards I have bought an RX570 yesterday and it's working great with Lilu and Whatevergreen.kext. I have thought that it even would work without these kexts but that doen't work for me. I use iMac 18.3 SMBIOS . Now I have one problem left. I tried to install an macOS update to see what happens and I have no display on the 2nd step. After the following reboot my display coms back and the update succeeds. Is there any way to have display on all setup steps like I always had on my Nvidia card? Also I would like to be independent to whatevergreen. Is that possible with my RX570?

Remove WG and Lilu in 10.13.4 (unless you're using it with something else) and use 18,3 and use nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext to enable 2nd monitor and you're good to go.

Also enable iGPU and set GPU in BIOS to "Auto". Check in Sys Info that iGPU also shows up along with AMD.

This is the closest you can get to a real iMac and that's what you want to do.

Remove WG and Lilu in 10.13.4 (unless you're using it with something else) and use 18,3 and use nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext to enable 2nd monitor and you're good to go.

Also enable iGPU and set GPU in BIOS to "Auto". Check in Sys Info that iGPU also shows up along with AMD.

This is the closest you can get to a real iMac and that's what you want to do.
nvidiagraphicsfixup for AMD GPU? Why?

I don't use that "trick", run two monitors - DVI and HDMI. No De-int, no kexts, no patches.

It strongly depends whether you have a reference version of card (or at least reference port layout). For RX 480/580, reference ports layout is 1xHDMI, 3xDP.

In my case, Sapphire Nitro+ doesn't have a reference layout - it has 2 HDMI, 1 DVI and 2 DP.

That's the reason why somebody has a luck without any extension, somebody does not.

In my case, either WG or NVIDIAGraphicsFixup works, however, with NVIDIA trick main display connected via DP wakes up much slower. And because WG or NVIDIA are both extensions, I will get no advantage with NVIDIA kext.

I have no problem with the Nitro+ and multiple monitors, but only on SMBIOS iMac14,2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back