Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Refreshing an 8 core MacPro 1,1 (Legacy options in 2016?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys,

Curious which OS I should focus on running on a MacPro 1,1 in 2016?

I know, it's old. But I just can't let this machine die. It's a MacPro 1,1 (2006) I pushed to 2,1 and did the 8core processor upgrade. It's currently running 32gigs of RAM, 5770 gfx & and booting on an SSD to Snow Leopard Server (+VM's). Currently use this machine to catalog footage and pictures on 3 4tb Red drives. It runs quietly, efficiently and I simply want to keep utilizing it.

A couple years ago I had it running as a hackintosh with Yosemite but it was not as stable as I liked. Hence the move back to Snow Leopard. Too many apps simply do not support this old OSx. Looking to revisit this...

El Capitan? MacOS? What are you guys running?

Thanks in advance.
Ross

Not a popular topic (or maybe I posted in wrong section :D) But for the record...

Tonight I successfully installed El Capitan 10.11.4 on my MP1,1
Screenshot 2016-12-23 05.18.32 copy.png

I used Pike's osxbootloader method via this thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capitan.1890435/page-56
(Page #52 - Post #1390)

Utilizing the Pikify3.1 package (Compiled on my macbook pro) installation was fairly simple. I have tested reboots, updates & installed bunch of programs to test and everything is running perfect. This is exactly what I wanted.
screenshot-2016-12-23-05-18-32-copy-png

Hey Guys,

Curious which OS I should focus on running on a MacPro 1,1 in 2016?

I know, it's old. But I just can't let this machine die. It's a MacPro 1,1 (2006) I pushed to 2,1 and did the 8core processor upgrade. It's currently running 32gigs of RAM, 5770 gfx & and booting on an SSD to Snow Leopard Server (+VM's). Currently use this machine to catalog footage and pictures on 3 4tb Red drives. It runs quietly, efficiently and I simply want to keep utilizing it.

A couple years ago I had it running as a hackintosh with Yosemite but it was not as stable as I liked. Hence the move back to Snow Leopard. Too many apps simply do not support this old OSx. Looking to revisit this...

El Capitan? MacOS? What are you guys running?

Thanks in advance.
Ross
Yup..I have 32Gb RAM, SSD's Cheap NVIDIA GPU - My 1,1 flashed to 2,1 runs El Cap & Win Server 2012r2 - with Hyper - V Great, but i cant get imessage or facetime to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back