Contribute
Register

[Solved] Reboot loop with "Attempting system restart" after High Sierra upgrade finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU
I5-2500K
Graphics
RX 580
Hey all,

I've had my hackintosh with Yosemite/Clover for about 4 years. It was stable for the most part, but I kept running into programs that have discontinued support of Yosemite. I decided to upgrade to High Sierra using this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/ (without APFS)

I updated my Clover to Clover_v2.4k_r4658 and made it to step #6 of "choose Boot macOS Install option".

However, I ran into a dead end boot with the error similar to this person: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ck-at-start-randomseed-end-randomseed.253073/. Which I fixed by using OsxAptioFixDrv-64 in the CLOVER/drivers.

Next, that lead me to another dead end boot error of "...MACH reboot" similar to this person: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-attempting-system-restart-mach-reboot.246113/. Which I fixed by using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and dropping DMARS and MATS tables using Clover Configurator.

Finally, I was able to boot into the Apple Installer and install High Sierra ("40 minutes to install" screen). Once it was completed, the system tried to restart to finish the installation. However, this is where I am stuck now inside a reboot loop, similar to this person: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-attempting-system-restart-after-update.240191/

I can get into the Clover boot screen which allows me to select "Start macOS". Then, it will get past the "Random seed" area. But, after the kexts are loaded the message "Attempting system restart" is shown and it reboots automatically. This repeats over and over without ever reaching the Apple Home screen.

I tried everything in the previously mentioned thread without success (changing system def to 18,2, updating Luli.kext, trying to boot into safe mode with -x).

I tried a bunch of other things after researching a solution, e.g., graphics related - tried all combinations of nv_disable=1, inject nvidia, inject intel, nvidia web, nvidia single, remove discrete graphics card (which then I can't see the Clover booter after the BIOS splash is shown), removing extra kext folders in CLOVER/kexts, reinstalling Clover_v2.4k_r4658, trying different combinations of kexts in CLOVER/kexts (WhateverGreen, Lilu, FakeSMC).

I'm not sure what else to try, and I've run out of sources online.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give.

Hey all,

I've had my hackintosh with Yosemite/Clover for about 4 years. It was stable for the most part, but I kept running into programs that have discontinued support of Yosemite. I decided to upgrade to High Sierra using this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/ (without APFS)

I updated my Clover to Clover_v2.4k_r4658 and made it to step #6 of "choose Boot macOS Install option".

However, I ran into a dead end boot with the error similar to this person: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ck-at-start-randomseed-end-randomseed.253073/. Which I fixed by using OsxAptioFixDrv-64 in the CLOVER/drivers.

Next, that lead me to another dead end boot error of "...MACH reboot" similar to this person: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-attempting-system-restart-mach-reboot.246113/. Which I fixed by using AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead of OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and dropping DMARS and MATS tables using Clover Configurator.

Finally, I was able to boot into the Apple Installer and install High Sierra ("40 minutes to install" screen). Once it was completed, the system tried to restart to finish the installation. However, this is where I am stuck now inside a reboot loop, similar to this person: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-attempting-system-restart-after-update.240191/

I can get into the Clover boot screen which allows me to select "Start macOS". Then, it will get past the "Random seed" area. But, after the kexts are loaded the message "Attempting system restart" is shown and it reboots automatically. This repeats over and over without ever reaching the Apple Home screen.

I tried everything in the previously mentioned thread without success (changing system def to 18,2, updating Luli.kext, trying to boot into safe mode with -x).

I tried a bunch of other things after researching a solution, e.g., graphics related - tried all combinations of nv_disable=1, inject nvidia, inject intel, nvidia web, nvidia single, remove discrete graphics card (which then I can't see the Clover booter after the BIOS splash is shown), removing extra kext folders in CLOVER/kexts, reinstalling Clover_v2.4k_r4658, trying different combinations of kexts in CLOVER/kexts (WhateverGreen, Lilu, FakeSMC).

I'm not sure what else to try, and I've run out of sources online.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give.

A few pictures would be worth a thousand words! That will be the closest to seeing your monitor along with you to suggest troubleshoot for the problem you are seeing on your monitor.
  • Please upload to this Forum
    • image of your Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen with device icons before booting "Start macOS"
    • Options>Graphics Injector-> screen shot to upload
    • Verbose boot screen just before it automatically reboots. Take a photo or two to upload.

A few pictures would be worth a thousand words! That will be the closest to seeing your monitor along with you to suggest troubleshoot for the problem you are seeing on your monitor.
  • Please upload to this Forum
    • image of your Clover Boot Manager(CBM) screen with device icons before booting "Start macOS"
    • Options>Graphics Injector-> screen shot to upload
    • Verbose boot screen just before it automatically reboots. Take a photo or two to upload.

Attached are the photos you requested. Sorry for the bad quality, reboot occurs immediately after everything is printed on screen. I've also included a video of the process here: https://streamable.com/ipxcp (note: my drive's name is "Yosemite")

In the last image with "@kec.pthread ...", the final line is "Attempting system restart..." and then it reboots and repeats.

Thanks

DSC_0698.JPG
DSC_0699.JPG
DSC_0700.JPG
DSC_0701.JPG
DSC_0717.JPG
start.jpg
end.jpg

Since you have not completed the installation on the System disk and hence could not have installed Nvidia Web driver , you cannot boot with [√] Use Nvidia WEB Drivers

• From CBM screen >Options>Graphics Injector ->screen uncheck [√] Use Nvidia WEB Drivers
  • At Options >Boot args type in nv_disable=1 -v dart=0 and then boot your "Boot MacOS from Yosemite Boot" icon
See if this helps

Since you have not completed the installation on the System disk and hence could not have installed Nvidia Web driver , you cannot boot with [√] Use Nvidia WEB Drivers

• From CBM screen >Options>Graphics Injector ->screen uncheck [√] Use Nvidia WEB Drivers
  • At Options >Boot args type in nv_disable=1 -v dart=0 and then boot your "Boot MacOS from Yosemite Boot" icon
See if this helps

Unfortunately, it does the same thing. I tried it twice in a row to see if was part of the installation's multi-reboot process, but it didn’t work. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Unfortunately, it does the same thing. I tried it twice in a row to see if was part of the installation's multi-reboot process, but it didn’t work. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Cannot think of anything other than fresh reinstall with a properly created USB flash disk Installer with BIOS Graphics set as PCIE Enabled and IGFX disabled and Clover boot options as in my previous post.

Cannot think of anything other than fresh reinstall with a properly created USB flash disk Installer with BIOS Graphics set as PCIE Enabled and IGFX disabled and Clover boot options as in my previous post.

I disabled the IGFX in BIOS. I am now getting a panic reboot instead of the "Attempting system restart" message (image attached after finding the halting debug=0x100 argument). I went through and cleaned out any unnecessary kexts and drivers from CLOVER and then tried nv_disable=1, but the result is still a kernel panic.

IMG_1041.JPG

I am now getting a panic reboot instead of the "Attempting system restart" message (image attached after finding the halting debug=0x100 argument). I went through and cleaned out any unnecessary kexts and drivers from CLOVER and then tried nv_disable=1, but the result is still a kernel panic.
Expected behaviour, EvOreboot.kext is incompatible with High Sierra - Remove it.

Expected behaviour, EvOreboot.kext is incompatible with High Sierra - Remove it.

Where do I remove EvOreboot.kext from? I don't see it inside EFI/CLOVER/kexts. I only have FakeSMC.kext and RealtecRTL8111.kext inside the kexts folder. Thanks

Where do I remove EvOreboot.kext from? I don't see it inside EFI/CLOVER/kexts. I only have FakeSMC.kext and RealtecRTL8111.kext inside the kexts folder. Thanks
/Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions on the system partition.
Given that you upgraded from Yosemite then /System/Library/Extensions is the likely candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back