CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Installing on a 250 GB Samsung SSD. During macOS Mojave install, at about 2 minutes remaining, the install stops, then the system reboots. I can repeat this USB install process but w/o any further progress. How can I determine what is causing the reboot, before the install is complete? My hardware is basic, no graphic card. BIOS changes include: Windows 8/10 Features=>Other OS; CSM Support=>Disabled; XCHI Hand-off=>Enabled; Chipset Vt-d=>Disabled.
Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue as you, hoping for someone to help us :(

Researching this issue, I have found multiple posts on this, as well as other forums, where users indicate a problem when installation hangs "at around 2 minutes remaining". The hardware components are different than what I have, and some users have also mentioned USB port issues. My USB keyboard and mouse are working during the initial install pass. This is my first build, so I'm learning as I go. But I have several questions. First, can I assume that regardless of the hardware make or model (Asus, Gigabyte), if the "first pass" install freezes with 2 minutes remaining, that the underlying cause(s) are probably similar? Second, what tool or log can be viewed to help troubleshoot what is causing the fault? My assumption is that if the system freezes, then reboots by itself, that any logging would be lost. I have verbose turned on, not sure if this would alert me to a subsequent macOS install issue or failure. Is there a way to capture this activity for review, as opposed to watching the messages scroll by? Trying to determine where to go from here.
Thanks for any sage tech advice!

Researching this issue, I have found multiple posts on this, as well as other forums, where users indicate a problem when installation hangs "at around 2 minutes remaining". The hardware components are different than what I have, and some users have also mentioned USB port issues. My USB keyboard and mouse are working during the initial install pass. This is my first build, so I'm learning as I go. But I have several questions. First, can I assume that regardless of the hardware make or model (Asus, Gigabyte), if the "first pass" install freezes with 2 minutes remaining, that the underlying cause(s) are probably similar? Second, what tool or log can be viewed to help troubleshoot what is causing the fault? My assumption is that if the system freezes, then reboots by itself, that any logging would be lost. I have verbose turned on, not sure if this would alert me to a subsequent macOS install issue or failure. Is there a way to capture this activity for review, as opposed to watching the messages scroll by? Trying to determine where to go from here.
Thanks for any sage tech advice!
For 2 reasons, I could not respond to help you.
  • Although I have done many OS X and macOS installation including the latest 10.14.2 on many motherboards+CPU+GPU combinations from Inter 7, 8, 9, 100 and 200 Series (99% Gigabyte Boards) I have no hands on experience with 300 Series board and Hackintosh installation.
  • I could not understand from your original post, at what stage of Hard Disk installation you found the "2 minutes remaining" display on Verbose screen and the "sudden reboot", how exactly you had done the previous step of "Partition & Format" in "Disk Utility, " and what actually you saw at the Clover Boot Manager (CBM) Screen (number and labels of the icons) after the sudden reboot at "2 minutes remaining" .
  • The only way you can properly document them is to take series of photos while watching the verbose boot screen.
  • Such screen shots can help you analyze and find problems yourself or get help by uploading to Forum along with your post.
    • In Mojave installation on hard disk, soon after Partition and Format done as GUID+APFS [unlike macOS 10.13.x and earlier ones or the way the USB Installer is created (which is GUID+HFS+J)] often the screen may display "10 Minutes remaining" which within a few seconds may change to "7 minutes remaining" and then again a few seconds to 6 minutes and then gradually to diminishing numbers to "2 Minutes remaining" and without any warning suddenly reboot and reach the CBM screen.
    • If everything goes normal , by booting the partially installed Mojave System SSD/HDD from CBM screen you will see a couple of more reboots at different levels of progression before it reboots for the last time and then progress to Language and Region Selection, Apple Accounts setup with your Apple login and Password, etc etc until you can log in to the Desktop.
    • If you are interested check my illustrated Mojave installation https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/my-successful-mojave-installations.265308/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...uldnt-be-completed-error.266897/#post-1870973

Last edited:
  • Although I have done many OS X and macOS installation including the latest 10.14.2 on many motherboards+CPU+GPU combinations from Inter 7, 8, 9, 100 and 200 Series (99% Gigabyte Boards) I have no hands on experience with 300 Series board and Hackintosh installation.
  • I could not understand from your original post, at what stage of Hard Disk installation you found the "2 minutes remaining" display on Verbose screen and the "sudden reboot", how exactly you had done the previous step of "Partition & Format" in "Disk Utility, " and what actually you saw at the Clover Boot Manager (CBM) Screen (number and labels of the icons) after the sudden reboot at "2 minutes remaining" .
  • The only way you can properly document them is to take series of photos while watching the verbose boot screen.
  • Such screen shots can help you analyze and find problems yourself or get help by uploading to Forum along with your post.
    • In Mojave installation on hard disk, soon after Partition and Format done as GUID+APFS [unlike macOS 10.13.x and earlier ones or the way the USB Installer is created (which is GUID+HFS+J)] often the screen may display "10 Minutes remaining" which within a few seconds may change to "7 minutes remaining" and then again a few seconds to 6 minutes and then gradually to diminishing numbers to "2 Minutes remaining" and without any warning suddenly reboot and reach the CBM screen.
    • If everything goes normal , by booting the partially installed Mojave System SSD/HDD from CBM screen you will see a couple of more reboots at different levels of progression before it reboots for the last time and then progress to Language and Region Selection, Apple Accounts setup with your Apple login and Password, etc etc until you can log in to the Desktop.
    • If you are interested check my illustrated Mojave installation https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/my-successful-mojave-installations.265308/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...uldnt-be-completed-error.266897/#post-1870973
Here is my debug screen. I formatted the boot drive as APFS and i was using this tutortial
YkJ4xs4.jpg

Here is my debug screen. I formatted the boot drive as APFS and i was using this tutortial
YkJ4xs4.jpg

Although the KP may be the same or similar, the hardware specs in your profile and that of OP differ.

Isn't it better watching from the sideline to see how OP solves the problem he/she has encountered and use that as the basis for your own troubleshoot?

If you cannot wait to see how it is evolving, why not start your own post in detail rather than joining an unfinished troubleshoot with a different set of hardware.
Does my suggestion make better sense?

At the end of Stage 1 you will get the "2 minutes remaining" status and the system will reboot in order to begin Stage 2. The reboot is normal. The Kernel Panic is also normal because automatic reboot/shutdown most likely will not work until post-installation is done. When reboot happens, press F12 on Gigabyte motherboards to select USB boot drive and choose the new option in Clover, "Boot macOS Install from Mojave".

Thanks for the reply. I can see your point re: the need for more info to better understand where the issue occurs. It would help if I better understood the whole macOS install process, from beginning to end. I'm realizing this Hackintosh thing is a little more complicated than I assumed. But I'm learning. Thanks for the links to your successful installs. I can see the need to capture pix as you go. Helps to reconstruct what occurred during the process. I did additional testing tonite with positive results, but with newer KP's. I will post a follow-up with pix to further this discussion. Yes, I was able to reach the end result, but it seemed totally random, lucky?

Last edited:
What a process! Hap hazard to say the least. Not sure how, why, or what happened, but I reached the Dark Mode. But, there’s trouble ahead. Here's the update: After review of my Plist and Other kexts, I decided to attempt another install. This time, I utilized front USB 2 ports for keyboard and memory stick, and rear USB 3 for mouse. In addition, I selected APFS. The install proceeded as usual, reaching the 2 minute mark. This time, the process continued on. A blank screen, instead of a reboot occurred, followed by the Clover Boot Menu. Now Prebooter was an option, which I selected. The install would progress, then restart, then progress. Eventually I was presented with the "Welcome" screen. I noticed the mouse (USB 3) wasn't working. After a quick look see, I ran Multi Beast, and restarted the OS. I was never able to boot into my installed OS. Have included some pix of the various steps along the way. Will get back to reviewing this weekend. Will attempt to at least replicate the process and try to capture more meaningful info.

Thanks for any advice!

Erase and format as APFS
thumb_IMG_8074_1024.jpg

The moment of truth
thumb_IMG_8075_1024.jpg

Progression to less than 1 minute, then screen went blank. In past, auto reboot would occur, now nothing but a blinking HD light. When restart happens, Clover screen with Prebooter option now appears. I take that icon.
thumb_IMG_8077_1024.jpg

More progress in OS install, but then another restart
thumb_IMG_8079_1024.jpg

Still reboot
thumb_IMG_8080_1024.jpg

Making progress
thumb_IMG_8081_1024.jpg

Another restart
thumb_IMG_8084_1024.jpg

?
thumb_IMG_8088_1024.jpg

Starting to act weird
thumb_IMG_8091_1024.jpg

Final death
thumb_IMG_8095_1024.jpg

These options appeared next, but nothing would allow a boot to the installed macOS. Dead.
thumb_IMG_8096_1024.jpg

More messaging during force reboot
thumb_IMG_8097_1024.jpg

More, till end.
thumb_IMG_8098_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8099_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8100_1024.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-20_22-8-24.png
    upload_2018-12-20_22-8-24.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 420
Last edited:
The final screenshot (gIOScreenLockState) is normal. It is the last step before Mojave attaches the Framebuffer to your graphics card and displays the Apple Logo for the last time before reaching the login screen. If your display is going blank at this point, it means that the iGPU is not activating any video port on the motherboard, which is very common issue with the UHD630.

You could test this theory by temporarily setting the iGPU device ID to something like 0x12345678, which UniBeast does for the initial config.plist, along with checking on the Inject Intel flag. To make things easier, just boot from the USB flash disk again by pressing F12 at boot and choosing the USB disk. Then choose the option to boot from the Mojave internal disk. This will use the config.plist from your USB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back