Contribute
Register

[Solved] "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" from Unibeast USB. Can't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've thoroughly followed this guide to install Sierra on a Custom PC I've assembled just today:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564

I've an Intel Core i5 6400 as CPU and a Gigabyte H110M-S2H (Series 100) as motherboard.

In the BIOS (Q-Flash) I did the following:
- Loaded Optimised defaults
- Disabled VT-d
- Couldn't find CFG-Lock
- Couldn't find Secure Boot Mode, however Secure Boot State is disabled
- Set OS Type to Other OS
- Disabled Super IO Configuration -> Serial Port 1
- Enabled XHCI Handoff
- Set Storage Boot Option Control to UEFI Only (but I've also tried with Legacy Only and Disabled)

I'm using a SanDisk USB 3.0 32 GB key on a 2.0 port. I've also tried using a USB 2.0 external hub in between.

The computer lists the usb key as a bootable device however the installation doesn't boot, even when I manually select the SanDisk key from the boot options (F12).
I always get the message:
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Am I doing something wrong?

Ok I found the problem. I'm posting the solution in case it happens to someone else.

I am using Mac Os X El Capitan to set up the usb key on a mac. Apparently Disk Utility on this version of the O.S. comes with a bug:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7352510?start=0&tstart=0

Because of this creating a GUID Partition Map while erasing the drive is not possible, that's why my key wouldn't boot.
The solution was switching to another Mac with Sierra installed. The bug wasn't there, I could select "GUID Partition Map" and set up my key all from the start and now it works.

I was experiencing the same issue!

Intel i7 6700k
MSI GTX 960 4gb
Gigabyte z-170x Gaming 6 motherboard

I was using El Capitan to create my boot drive, and upon install I was getting "Reboot and Select proper boot device, or insert boot media in selected boot device and try again". Nothing I was trying was working, until I saw this post. Upgraded my laptop to Sierra 12.4, created the boot drive again, and the installation worked! And yes it was because there was no GUID Partition Map option in El Capitan.

Now to get my audio working... :) Thank you.

i've prepared my USB installer on Sierra 12.5 and still have this issue on installing Sierra on another machine...any hint?

Also happens with High Sierra 13.3. Doing the reformat twice thing suggested in the Apple forum post linked above did not solve the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back