Contribute
Register

[solved] Really slow start-up 5-6 mins always

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success!!!!! I did NOT have the HID:legacy shim 2 problem this time. The startup was as fast as before.

To your previous point about my system being a mess (agreed), at least we now know what the problem was. I had a bad kext called TrimEnabler.kext.

RehabMan was right, the problem was related to APFS and TRIM (at least in my case). This information might help others.

Glad I found this thread! Had the same shim 2 issues when loading verbose. Must have had the old TRIM kext in there from once upon a time when the kext was the TRIM workaround before Apple supported it. Booting much more quickly now! Now to see if that helps with what I call OS staleness kicking in. I've found that the OS gradually slows down if I don't continue to use it. If I boot and begin actively using apps, all is fine. If I leave it for a while, when I come back, I find apps are slow to respond, websites slow to load, and so forth. I've tried observing the processing, memory, and network activity in Activity Monitor, though no meaningful spikes have coincided with these slowdowns. Perhaps mixed TRIM messages might have been slowing up my SSD? Time will tell.

Might be helpful to edit your initial post to point folks to the solution in the thread.

Glad I found this thread! Had the same shim 2 issues when loading verbose. Must have had the old TRIM kext in there from once upon a time when the kext was the TRIM workaround before Apple supported it. Booting much more quickly now! Now to see if that helps with what I call OS staleness kicking in. I've found that the OS gradually slows down if I don't continue to use it. If I boot and begin actively using apps, all is fine. If I leave it for a while, when I come back, I find apps are slow to respond, websites slow to load, and so forth. I've tried observing the processing, memory, and network activity in Activity Monitor, though no meaningful spikes have coincided with these slowdowns. Perhaps mixed TRIM messages might have been slowing up my SSD? Time will tell.

Might be helpful to edit your initial post to point folks to the solution in the thread.

Should not be using any Trim kext. Use Clovers KextToPatch for TRIM on a Hack nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back