Contribute
Register

[solved] Really slow start-up 5-6 mins always

Status
Not open for further replies.
VDragon - Today I updated my system from the latest beta to Release. Regrettably all the work we did to fix sound didn't stick. I am back to not seeing any outputs.

I did re-read all of our notes and you mentioned that after an update I should run a command in the Terminal two times. I ran it three times but no luck.

The info from terminal wasn't anything with errors. Standard responses as far as I could tell.

Not sure if it interests you but do you want to troubleshoot? I can send you my output if you want. Did you have any issues when you updated?

If you read the guide it clearly says,

After updates you may notice that Audio has stopped working. This can be fixed in Terminal.

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Same here, On nVME Samsung EVO 960 it takes 20sec or less. I'm with you its not that problem to break a working set-up. But I like to get it solved. I tried nvram erase / SSD trim turn off / And rebuild caches. It looks that it rebuilds the whole kextcache every time because I see a lot sustained access to the nVME drive. ... reading... reading... Wonderfull You found the fix! There are two questions remaining for me and possibly for others as well:
  1. Why is this delay happening with APFS?
  2. Why is this delay happening also on my daughters iMac 21,5 inch?
The common factor is that in 1) a hack is used with an unofficial SSD (nVME Samsung EVO 960) and in 2) there is an unofficial supported SSD used (Samsung EVO 850).

Next weekend I make time to get rid of APFS and go back to HFS+ as mentioned clearly explained by Rehabman. Further I'm impressed by VioletGragon and Rehabman how committed those guys are to help baryw. I would like to share my honest respect to those guys.
NVMe drives have trim enabled as per Apple spec. You can not disable it. As a result it is not recommended to install APFS on a NVMe drive at this time. I imagine it's a similar issue on the MacBook with non Apple hardware.

If you read the guide it clearly says,
As I wrote - I did see your comment and ran the command three times. It didn't bring back the outputs.

Not sure if you have any other ideas.

As I wrote - I did see your comment and ran the command three times. It didn't bring back the outputs.

Not sure if you have any other ideas.

Attach Problem Reporting Files.

If its the same as H77N-WIFI or Z77N-WIFI create a new post over at (Guide) H77N-WIFI with Intel HD4000 using Clover UEFI Hotpatch | tonymacx86.com

Working on the other computer next. I was able to upgrade it to HS without the file structure change. It is running fine. Now I want to get it running great. This one doesn't have a GPU so it should be a closer build to your above.

If I run into any issues, I will let you know. Thanks to all of the other help you provided, I should be able to figure most problems myself.

Attach Problem Reporting Files.

Dragon - I was able to update the other computer with just a few hiccups. It turns out I was using an incorrect system profile. I changed it, updated some other settings, got power management working and all is good.

Thanks again for all of your previous help and patience. I am much better at this than I was before.

Working on the other computer next. I was able to upgrade it to HS without the file structure change. It is running fine. Now I want to get it running great. This one doesn't have a GPU so it should be a closer build to your above.

If I run into any issues, I will let you know. Thanks to all of the other help you provided, I should be able to figure most problems myself.

You can use SSDT-HACK from the H77N-WIFI Fork. Follow (Guide) H77N-WIFI with Intel HD4000 using Clover UEFI Hotpatch | tonymacx86.com

Dragon - I was able to update the other computer with just a few hiccups. It turns out I was using an incorrect system profile. I changed it, updated some other settings, got power management working and all is good.

Thanks again for all of your previous help and patience. I am much better at this than I was before.

Should be using Macmini6,1 as the Guide states. Need to pair SSDT-Hack with post_install_HD4000.plist.

You can use SSDT-HACK from the H77N-WIFI Fork. Follow (Guide) H77N-WIFI with Intel HD4000 using Clover UEFI Hotpatch | tonymacx86.com

Should be using Macmini6,1 as the Guide states. Need to pair SSDT-Hack with post_install_HD4000.plist.

The other build was closer to your: GA-Z77-DS3H | i3 3225 | HD 4000 setup. I went with iMac 13.1 as it was closest. Is that what you have for the i3 3225?

Built my PowerManager SSDT. It worked fine once I changed the Mac type. (that was how I discovered that I had an incorrect profile)

It runs fine though I don't wonder if it isn't a little laggier than before. Mostly used as a webserver so no big deal.

Using an USB sound plug for now.

Do you have a guide for your backup server? I would be interesting in seeing your config and if you have a SSDT-HACK.

My other one would be:

GA-H77N-WIFI
| i3 3225 | HD 4000

The other build was closer to your: GA-Z77-DS3H | i3 3225 | HD 4000 setup. I went with iMac 13.1 as it was closest. Is that what you have for the i3 3225?

Built my PowerManager SSDT. It worked fine once I changed the Mac type. (that was how I discovered that I had an incorrect profile)

It runs fine though I don't wonder if it isn't a little laggier than before. Mostly used as a webserver so no big deal.

Using an USB sound plug for now.

Do you have a guide for your backup server? I would be interesting in seeing your config and if you have a SSDT-HACK.

My other one would be:

GA-H77N-WIFI
| i3 3225 | HD 4000

Im not using iMac 13,1.
iMac 13,1 doesn't use HD 4000. Bad choice better to use Macmini6,2.
No im using Macmini6.2.
IGPU Powermanagement will probably be a issue with iMac 13,1/13,2. Something I wouldn't do anyway.
Audio will be the same. SSDT-Hack has Pinconfigs and done via CodecCommander. Requires to be installed correctly. Better to install via,
Code:
cd ~/Projects/dh67.git
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Backup Server doesn't have a guide yet. Not setup yet as not had the time due to work.
After a direct upgrade better to reinstall Kexts using,
Code:
cd ~/Projects/dh67.git
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Last edited:
Im not using iMac 13,1.
iMac 13,1 doesn't use HD 4000. Bad choice better to use Macmini6,2.
No im using Macmini6.2.
IGPU Powermanagement will probably be a issue with iMac 13,1/13,2. Something I wouldn't do anyway.
Audio will be the same. SSDT-Hack has Pinconfigs and done via CodecCommander. Requires to be installed correctly. Better to install via,
Code:
cd ~/Projects/dh67.git
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Backup Server doesn't have a guide yet. Not setup yet as not had the time due to work.
After a direct upgrade better to reinstall Kexts using,
Code:
cd ~/Projects/dh67.git
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Not thrilled with performance. (it used to be pretty good)

I will try 6.2. Maybe it will help.

I will rebuild the SSDT for power. (or don't bother?)

I will probably stick with the USB converter for sound. You and I have spent a lot of time getting it to work and the USB is fine.

I always appreciate your help and insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back