Contribute
Register

[solved] Really slow start-up 5-6 mins always

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is APFS + TRIM + certain SSD hardware.

I just discovered that I have TrimEnabler.kext in my Extensions folder! I did not know that was there.... I am going to remove it. Maybe that has been part of the problem...

I just discovered that I have TrimEnabler.kext in my Extensions folder! I did not know that was there.... I am going to remove it. Maybe that has been part of the problem...

Why do you have TrimEnabler.kext when using Apples TRIM Enabler & Clovers TRIM? Your system is a mess.

Let me see if any of the latest changes have helped. If not, I will do a fresh install.

Thank again for all of your help and advice.

Let me see if any of the latest changes have helped. If not, I will do a fresh install.

Thank again for all of your help and advice.

Instead of wasting time trying to fix whats a mess you'd be better to do a Fresh install.

Success!!!!! I did NOT have the HID:legacy shim 2 problem this time. The startup was as fast as before.

To your previous point about my system being a mess (agreed), at least we now know what the problem was. I had a bad kext called TrimEnabler.kext.

RehabMan was right, the problem was related to APFS and TRIM (at least in my case). This information might help others.

Ah hah! so you just boot the USB installer, partition your boot disk the way you like it with disk utility, then launch terminal and use that command to start the installer, which bypasses the (normally automated/forced) conversion to APFS.

vk2fro - check your kext folders. I had a kext called TrimEnabler.kext in S/L/E. Now that it has been removed, my system boots up just fine!

Success!!!!! I did NOT have the HID:legacy shim 2 problem this time. The startup was as fast as before.

To your previous point about my system being a mess (agreed), at least we now know what the problem was. I had a bad kext called TrimEnabler.kext.

RehabMan was right, the problem was related to APFS and TRIM (at least in my case). This information might help others.

Ive never heard of TrimEnabler.kext. I prefer to use Clovers Trim Patch than anything else. But better to not use Trim Patch with APFS or better still just use HFS+ instead of APFS. In my eyes APFS on a Hack is heading for disaster.

vk2fro - check your kext folders. I had a kext called TrimEnabler.kext in S/L/E. Now that it has been removed, my system boots up just fine!

Should not be installing kexts to S/L/E. All kexts are installed to L/E 10.11+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back