Graphics
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi.
Im trying to make use of a abandoned gaming computer as a hackingtosh and running into a few issues.

MAINBOARD: ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866MHz 2GB (removed 3 for installation)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 (removed 1 for installation)
HDD: Intel® SSD 520 Series 120GB (connected to x79 6G port1)

Bios settings from: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-extreme-32gb-ram-gtx-770-4gb-success.130386/

Tried with bios version 3602 and 4901.

Created usb disk as outlined here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

With macOS 10.13.5 and unibeast 8.3.1, usb is connected to one of the usb2 ports on the back panel. (Been trying all of them.)

After some tinkering i managed to get it a few steps further into loading the installer, but now it stops at "waiting for root media".
Im booting with npci=0x2000
Been trying with all variations of npci, GraphicsEnabler, PCIRootUID with the same result. Also the 'USB Ownership' and 'USB Injection' flags in Clover.

Anyone have a good idea to getting this puppy to install?

Attachments

• 20180704_093910.jpg
    20180704_093910.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 287
  • 20180704_093939.jpg
    20180704_093939.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 244
You should read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.

Still.png

"Still waiting for root device".
When booting from USB means that there is a problem finding a valid System folder to start up from on your USB flash drive.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
Try connecting your USB flash drive using a USB2 hub.
Ensure that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.
May require USBInjectAll.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May require XHCI-300-series-injector.kext or XHCI-200-series-injector.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
May need PMHeart’s patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit in config.plist.

The problem may also occur when your USB controllers are unsupported, if this is the case you should add the appropriate kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ or try GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

Thank you both P1LGRIM, got the installer booting :)

Hey o1ie, can you help me out here on how did you manage you ASUS High Sierra to work?

So, I am trying to build a High Sierra ASUS R4E with BIOS version 4901, i7 3930k CPU and GTX 770 video card. OS X 10.13.4 is already installed and the machine boots, however when the boot process reaches the login window I can't do anything as none of the USB is working thus no keyboard input nor mouse input is happening even though I have the latest kexts in the EFI/Clover/kexts/ but still no USB input is working at login window. I was searching the net for this specific setup but I was not able to find anything with High Sierra. I was able to build another machine with Coffee Lake CPU i7 8700K and Gigabyte H370 HD3 motherboard and all is fine with that machine but I am having a tough time with this ASUS R4E. Any help would be really appreciated as I am trying to build a Hackintosh to produce music.
Another thing is that with the same hardware setup my OS X 10.10.4 installed is working perfectly but the reason I want to make this Hackintosh running under High Sierra is that the latest Digital Audio Workstations are only compatible with this version of OS X.

Thank you ahead for any help.

I attached two pictures showing a list of kext extensions presently in EFI/CLOVER/ and the list of .efi drivers in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder. I know many of those might not be needed but I just wanted to make sure everything is there.
Is it possible that some of those are conflicting with each other?

extension used.png
efi drivers used.png

Sincerely,

soundspace

Last edited:
Hi soundspace, im a bit new to this to give advice but;
I ended up installing sierra and upgrading to high sierra from there.
Only issue i have is the sleep/wakeup but simply turned off the sleep.
Could send you the efi folder i ended up using if you are interrested.

Hi soundspace, im a bit new to this to give advice but;
I ended up installing sierra and upgrading to high sierra from there.
Only issue i have is the sleep/wakeup but simply turned off the sleep.
Could send you the efi folder i ended up using if you are interrested.

Yes, thank you! I would really appreciate it if you could send me your EFI folder as I am still experimenting and the furthest I could go is the login window but no USB input possible.So please send me your EFI and I will report back with the result.

Thank you!

soundspace

Also what version of BIOS are you using with your ASUS R4E? Mine is version 4901. Maybe that is the problem as shilohh mentioned it with his build to go back to 4206 or something but not the newest.

Last edited:
o1ie, do you know how to get to the EFI folder? It is easy.

1. Open Terminal and type the following:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI

than hit return or enter than it will ask you to type in your admin password then hit enter again.
It will create an EFI Volume.
Leave Terminal open.

2. Now open your Disk Utility (that you can find in Applications/Utilities/) and when it is open select your main hard drive Physical Disk (the one you have booted OS X from) and you should see its Device identification like disk0 or disk1 or disk2 ...etc.

3. Now go back to Terminal and let say if your Device identification is disk3 then type the following:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk3s1 /Volumes/EFI/

if your Device identification is disk2 then it should be

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/EFI/

...etc.

The s1 designation right after the device identification is the actual ID of the EFI partition!

It will mount the actual EFI partition into the EFI Volume that was created in the very first step.

4. Now type into Terminal the following:

open /Volumes/EFI

It will open the EFI Volume and there you can see the actual EFI folder. Copy the EFI folder and paste it to you Desktop from then you can compress it into a zip file by Right Click on it and chose Compress "EFI". It will create an EFI.zip file that you can attach here and post it so I can take a look and see if I can use that and if it would work for my ASUS R4E.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask me.

Sincerely,

soundspace

Hi, attached is the EFI used with the sierra installer.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.6 MB · Views: 241
Is it the Installer EFI or is it the EFI from the actual HD to where High Sierra is already installed? If it is the installer EFI then I don;t think I can use this as I would need the EFI folder from the High Sierra system hard drive the hard drive where the actual operating system is already installed. As I said, I already have High Sierra installed on an SSD thus I need the EFI for that one and not for the installer. Sorry for if I confused you a little! hahaha. So this SSD is cloned from a High Sierra SSD exactly bit by bit except its EFI partition doesn't work with the one I have on another machine since that is a different hardware with different motherboard. So I have this cloned High Sierra SSD and it actually boots but I am stuck at the login window hence I need a working system EFI folder from another High Sierra ASUS R4E that is working properly that is why I would need your EFI folder from the your system hard drive.

Thank you anyways, I will take a look at the one you just sent me if for some reason that will work. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back