i7-3770K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the behavior I'm seeing.

I have a GTX 660Ti (Kepler) which has always been supported by native OSX drivers. I don't have web drivers installed and I'm not injecting anything for graphics. As of Mojave 10.14, I started having the Quicklook/Preview issue (won't render image, not responding, force-quit). This problem persists through 10.14.1 and now 10.14.2.

I was using SMBIOS iMac14,2 and I found some info that led me to a lookup page, where I eventually found that the GTX 660Ti is supported as iMac13,2.

Using iMac13,2 I get a working QuickLook and Preview, but drastically slower performance overall (i.e. no hardware acceleration). Using iMac14,2 I get fast performance but broken Quicklook/Preview.

I'm a little perplexed because as I said, I'm using native OS drivers, not web drivers.

Thanks for any insights!

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the behavior I'm seeing.
I have a GTX 660Ti (Kepler) which has always been supported by native OSX drivers. I don't have web drivers installed and I'm not injecting anything for graphics. As of Mojave 10.14, I started having the Quicklook/Preview issue (won't render image, not responding, force-quit). This problem persists through 10.14.1 and now 10.14.2.

I was using SMBIOS iMac14,2 and I found some info that led me to a lookup page, where I eventually found that the GTX 660Ti is supported as iMac13,2.

Using iMac13,2 I get a working QuickLook and Preview, but drastically slower performance overall (i.e. no hardware acceleration). Using iMac14,2 I get fast performance but broken Quicklook/Preview.

Is this consistent with the issue being discussed? I'm a little perplexed because as I said, I'm using native OS drivers, not web drivers.

Thanks for any insights!

I no longer have my i7-3770 based system but when I did, I found that using iMac13,2 resulted in better CPU benchmark results from Geekbench than when using iMac14,2. Also, power management worked better with iMac13,2.

Last edited:
I no longer have my i7-3770 based system but when I did, I found that using iMac13,2 resulted in better CPU benchmark results from Geekbench than when using iMac14,2. Also, power management worked better with iMac13,2.

Thanks pastrychef. I haven't done any benchmarking but can say that from a subjective standpoint, everything is significantly faster - boot time, time from login to desktop, time for apps to open, etc - when using iMac14,2.

Isn't the Quicklook/Preview problem generally attributed to lack of hardware acceleration support when using certain nVidia cards?

I just began playing with the two machine strings last night. I'll do more comparisons over the weekend.

Thanks pastrychef. I haven't done any benchmarking but can say that from a subjective standpoint, everything is significantly faster - boot time, time from login to desktop, time for apps to open, etc - when using iMac14,2.

Isn't the Quicklook/Preview problem generally attributed to lack of hardware acceleration support when using certain nVidia cards?

I just began playing with the two machine strings last night. I'll do more comparisons over the weekend.

I think it's linked to having IGPU enabled and properly configured.

Have you tried to install in /CLOVER/kexts/Other and also using kext install tool like Kext Utility or KextBeast to install NoVPAJpeg.kext to /S/L/E to fix the Preview JPEG and Quick view problem in iMac 14,2?
I have uploaded a zipped copy if you want to try.

Attachments

• NoVPAJpeg.kext.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 150
Have you tried to install in /CLOVER/kexts/Other and also using kext install tool like Kext Utility or KextBeast to install NoVPAJpeg.kext to /S/L/E to fix the Preview JPEG and Quick view problem in iMac 14,2?
Thank you, I will try this!

Thanks cmn699, that fixed the problem! I also installed lilu (was recommended to use with this kext elsewhere) and used KextBeast and Kext Utility to install the kext and repair permissions. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Thanks cmn699, that fixed the problem! I also installed lilu (was recommended to use with this kext elsewhere) and used KextBeast and Kext Utility to install the kext and repair permissions. Worked like a charm. Thanks!
Thank you for your response. Hopefully, this [SOLVED] Quicklook /Preview in Mojave will help others with the same issue.

Just an update to this: according to the GitHub page for NoVPAJpeg.kext, WhateverGreen.kext should now be used instead with the following boot arguments set: shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.

WhateverGreen.kext depends on Lilu.kext. These can both be installed by selecting the 'Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen' option in MultiBeast, or by downloading the two from here or their respective GitHub pages[1][2] and installing them with e.g. KextBeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back