Contribute
Register

[Solved] Quickest way to remotely reboot in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Solution: After solving my other issue with getting the right Clover entry to load up that would properly load my Windows in the first place, I am able to utilize the Startup Disk preference pane feature in OS X. Selecting and restarting with the install I want will pass off the default OS to boot to Clover. Surprisingly works like a charm.

Background:
I have a hackintosh set up with Clover. I switch between a Win 7 drive primarily used for gaming and an El Capitan drive for everything else. As a PC gamer I have been setting up my apartment with Steam Links to remotely game around the apartment. I just got one for my bedroom to play when I can't sleep at night.

Issue: Without having to go across the apartment to manually select Windows in the boot loader, what is the quickest possible way I can reboot into Windows remotely? I already have a VNC app on my phone I use to reboot El Capitan and reset my Plex server from bed.

Proposed Solution: Is it possible to make a reboot-in-Windows script or utilize the Startup Disk preference pane that, preferably but not necessarily, won't break my ability to remotely get BACK into El Capitan remotely?

Bonus: I know that I can manually go into my config with Clover configuration and select Windows to boot but that seems just as time consuming as walking across my apartment and I have a peculiar issue where my boot loader won't load Windows without hitting Exit in Clover or selecting the drive to startup via the BIOS.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I hope it is OK to revive this old thread. What is described above as Solution is exactly what I would like to have on my installation. Windows 8 resides on a separate drive and I can select it in the (Sierra) Startup Disk preference pane. However, the restart brings me back to clover and will then boot back to OSX (in stead of W8). Any thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back