Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Problems with SSD, seperate Chimera partition

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hey :)

I just built my hackintosh with Multibeast. It works great. I have two issues though:

I installed Chimera and Mavericks on a SSD (Samsung Evo 256 GB). This doesn't work, as it gives me an error on boot before Chimera loads. I can boot though from the USB Stick into the system on the SSD and also when I installed Chimera on a second HD. What am I doing wrong?

I want to install all necessary files of Chimera on seperate dedicated small partition, to have a pure vanilla osx installation on a second partition. How can I set up Chimera that way?

Thanks for an answer,

Professor©

Motherboard
macpro2006
CPU
xeon
Graphics
gtx650ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Problems with SSD, seperate Chimera partition

I had the same problem to install the boot loader on the SSD. ( something to do with block size )
These are the steps I followed :
( best done booting from another drive or so )

sorry didn't keep all the instruction it seemed.
you need the boot1h file. Not sure if it's on unibeast under /usr/standalone/i386.

you can get it from the latest chimera package like this :
( # pkgutil --expand mystubbornpackage.pkg path/to/expand )
# pkgutil --expand Chimera\ 2.2.1.pkg ./theFiles
# ls
theFiles
# cd theFiles/
# ls
Distribution Resources chimeraV22.pkg
# cd chimeraV22.pkg/
# ls
Bom PackageInfo Payload Scripts
ITS IN THE Payload FILE
# cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i
# cd usr/standalone/i386
THEN COPY TO YOUR SSD osx partition. check with diskutil list, in my case :
( MAKE SURE THAT PARTITION IS UNMOUNTED )
# sudo dd if=./boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.000372 secs (2751420 bytes/sec)

Ready to boot ! I had to clean my caches kernel and user....
Hope it helps a bit

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600, GTX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Problems with SSD, won't fully boot

Hello,
I am helping a friend with a new install. He has essentially duplicated my new Hackintosh, which thanks to all the fine folk here I have got up and running well. Special shout out to Toleda:)

Here is the issue.
I have the system booting fine and working like a champ with his newly installed Western Digital HD. He brings in a Sandisk SSD so it will be faster and I clone the regular Mavericks HD to it using Carbon Copy. I them run Chimera 2.2.1 to install the boot loader.

The system boots to the Chimera screen, shows the apple logo on the white screen, then goes black and stays that way instead of coming up to the login screen. Any ideas?
The regular HD still works fine.

The specs are the same as mine except he is using a GTX580 and I have the 570 and he has 32 gig ram and I have 16. Same Mobo Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H and proc 4770K.
I am using a Crucial SSD and have had no issues.
This is a wierd one:)

Thanks all!
HappyJack

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600, GTX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android

Well as some additional information.
I formatted and did a fresh install of Mavericks on the SSD. I had to put it in a usb port to do it as for some reason the Mavericks install would not act right with the ssd in the sata port. (This was using the GTX580 graphics port) Then I changed the initial graphics port back to igfx and plugged the monitor into the onboard hdmi port. I ran multibeast on the fresh install and verified everything was fine. Then I rebooted, changed the graphics to pcie1 and put the monitor into the GTX580 Hdmi port. The system booted to the white screen with the apple logo then went black. Now this would seem to be a video card problem except it works fine with the original western digital hard drive we installed. Any help on this goofy problem?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600, GTX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android

Well if you beat your head enough :banghead: you either knock everything out or jar something loose lol
I know that originally I read that these cards were natively supported and I shouldn't need Graphics enabler = yes. It would appear that I do and had that enabled on the hard drive and not the ssd. Just 1 little mistake....arrgh. 4 hours fighting myself.
Only my second build and you'd think since it was mainly the same stuff I would have remembered it sooner. Sorry to bother y'all but maybe it will help someone too :)
HJ