CPU
I5 6600
Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello there,

I searched forums and I found a few posts somewhat related to my problem, but nothing that gives me a clear answer ...so here goes!

I got a EVGA Z170 Classified-K Motherboard (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188181)

On my "real" mac I followed the instructions from here, and created a bootable USB stick
I can reboot my laptop on the USB stick - so I have no reason to think there is anything wrong there.

My problem is that it seems EVGA has their own BIOS ..and none of the advice/best practices I found here seems to be applicable to that bios ...and no matter what I do ...it will not recognize the USB as a bootable device :(

If the motherboard simply does not supports a hackingtosh built ... I guess I can live with that, but I since I never even got the installer going I feel its a little too early to give up :) Does anyone either have experience with EVGA bios or any hint/tips of what I should experiment with? Thank you very much in advance!

You should read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile

My apologies, I had tried to do that ..but I think I listed my hardware under a build - corrected now

My apologies, I had tried to do that ..but I think I listed my hardware under a build - corrected now
Which OS are you attempting to install ?

I have tried El Capitan and Movaje - currently I am trying to use 'El Capitan' - I honestly do not care which version, except I would like to have Nvidia acceleration working at the end - so I figured Movaje is not the right way for me to go yet. Would you recommend a different one for me to try and install?

I have tried El Capitan and Movaje - currently I am trying to use 'El Capitan' - I honestly do not care which version, except I would like to have Nvidia acceleration working at the end - so I figured Movaje is not the right way for me to go yet. Would you recommend a different one for me to try and install?
Pascal based graphics are not supported until mid way through Sierra and then only with the Nvidia web drivers, they will not work in El Capitan and as yet not Mojave.

just a quick update - I managed to get the usb stick to boot. I wasn't setting the GUID option right when erasing the usb on the Mac ... I didn't have the option so I ignored it ... which was a mistake. https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/how-to-format-drive-guid/. ....now I get the boot menu and a shiny white apple ... and that is where I am stuck ...but, at least I got new things to try now :)

So based on your feedback I downloaded and created a new USB install disk with High Sierra. Unfortunately I am not able to get to the installer. I am stuck with a. white apple. I have tried using verbose mode to get a better understanding of what is going on - here is what it looks like:
IMG_0082.jpg

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Thank you!

Thank you both for your help - I got past that part and got everything up and running. Unfortunately I updated clover and really messed things up ...I am currently trying to re-install ...and failing miserably at that :/. I started a new thread in high Sierra to deal with those issues. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back