Contribute
Register

[Solved] Problem with dual monitor on Gigabyte Aorus radeon RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
@murrubioflamenk used the DVI output, because he never got the Display Ports to function properly.

Comparing the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 BIOS (native to macOS w/ part number 113-4E353BU-O4E) to the Gigabyte Aorus RX 580 BIOS shows almost exact internals.

I have the same GPU, but can only get HDMI to output perfectly. All three DP inputs show pink/green/distorted image (regardless of cables). Running latest Lilu and Whatevegreen kexts compiled using LiluAndFriends. I'm on one 4k monitor, but I only get 60hz refresh on 4k. If I'm 4k with 1080p UI scale applied, it's no longer 60hz. Same issue on High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.

I have browsed all tonymacx86 and numerous other hackintosh forums, but found no one using the Gigabyte Auros RX 580 Display Ports successfully on iMac 18,3 SMBIOS.

Last edited:
I`m also having problems with mojave and Gigabyte Aorus RX 580 8Gb with dual monitors using display port for both booting to only wallpaper, mouse cursor moving and yellow glitches.
Booting with only one DP monitor everything is ok.
Already tried all dp ports combinations with two monitor and even using one HDMI same thing.
In High sierra dual dp monitors with no problem.
Tried SMBIOS 18,1; 18,2; 18,3 and 14,2 same problem.
Really needing help for this.

Solved ... Thanks for the help ...
You asked for help on these forums. People tried to help you.

Now you have solved your problem. Good for you.
It is good practice to share your findings with others here so that they may learn and fix their issues in the future.

Sold my Gigabyte Aorus RX 580 and bought a Sapphire Pulse RX 580.

Some users are hex editing their BIOS ROM to have the same part number (113-4E353BU-O4E) as the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 officially released by Apple. I recommend users do not take this route. When your computer reboots it will be a black screen until login. No motherboard BIOS menu, no Clover menu, and not feasible for FileVault users (if no video display is detected you can't sign in). It's likely due to UEFI security seeing the P/N not matching the GPU BIOS ROM. I have the exact same GPU and part number as the author h9826790.

Comparing the "Apple" BIOS, to the BIOS from my Sapphire Pulse showed the exact same hardware (and memory chips). After backing up my original BIOS ROM, I force (-f) flashed the "Apple" BIOS to my GPU.

Steps to perform this:
  1. Boot to Windows 10, ensure all unnecessary apps and windows are closed.
  2. Backup original BIOS ROM using GPU-Z and ATIWinFlash (extremely important - use 2 tools to be extra cautious)!
  3. Review your Sapphire Pulse in GPU-Z, does your memory (e.g. Hynex or Samsung) match the "Apple" BIOS?
  4. Download the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 "Apple" BIOS ROM.
  5. Put ATIWinFlash contents and the BIOS ROM into C:\temp
  6. In Windows 10 (1803 or earlier), open Command Prompt as Administrator.
  7. Type: CD C:\temp (hit enter)
  8. Type: atiwinflash -f -p 0 Sapphire.RX580.8192.170324.rom (hit enter)
  9. WAIT, be patient.
  10. Reboot = success!
My card is now truly OOB with macOS. Without any framebuffer patching or other Clover modifications macOS now applies the Orinoco framebuffer rather than RadeonFrameBuffer. See this example for illustration.

@MacBobs may have found a solution for DisplayPorts here. Will test tonight.

Some users are hex editing their BIOS ROM to have the same part number (113-4E353BU-O4E) as the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 officially released by Apple. I recommend users do not take this route. When your computer reboots it will be a black screen until login. No motherboard BIOS menu, no Clover menu, and not feasible for FileVault users (if no video display is detected you can't sign in). It's likely due to UEFI security seeing the P/N not matching the GPU BIOS ROM. I have the exact same GPU and part number as the author h9826790.

Comparing the "Apple" BIOS, to the BIOS from my Sapphire Pulse showed the exact same hardware (and memory chips). After backing up my original BIOS ROM, I force (-f) flashed the "Apple" BIOS to my GPU.

Steps to perform this:
  2. Backup original BIOS ROM using GPU-Z and ATIWinFlash (extremely important - use 2 tools to be extra cautious)!
  3. Review your Sapphire Pulse in GPU-Z, does your memory (e.g. Hynex or Samsung) match the "Apple" BIOS?
  9. WAIT, be patient.
  10. Reboot = success!
My card is now truly OOB with macOS. Without any framebuffer patching or other Clover modifications macOS now applies the Orinoco framebuffer rather than RadeonFrameBuffer. See this example for illustration.

That's a great solution! Just to confirm - are you using iMac 18,3 SMBIOS with no Whatevergreen and no Clover configs (Inject ATI, RadeonDeInit)? No preview/jpg quicklook bugs? Also, is your iGPU enabled? I'm on really similar hardware, looking to use this method.

Dear Spartan711

Thank you very much for sharing this method, unfortunately Sapphire Pulse RX 580 change the memory manufactor to Micron. This bios mod method no longer works. Still looking forward finding another solution to get the RX580 graphic accelaration working.

Steps to perform this:
  9. WAIT, be patient.
  10. Reboot = success!

Dear Spartan711

Thank you very much for sharing this method, unfortunately Sapphire Pulse RX 580 change the memory manufactor to Micron. This bios mod method no longer works. Still looking forward finding another solution to get the RX580 graphic accelaration working.
Hi aceyyoung

I just bought a Sapphire Pulse RX 580, also probably with different memory. Switching from WhateverGreen to the suggestions below made a huge difference, but I still experience quicklook bug with jpg, might be helpful. As I understand even when using WhateverGreen a different framebuffer is used than Orinoco.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-rx580.220310/page-12#post-1801253

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back