Z390 UD
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
WX 4100
I wonder if someone can help. I've got the following configuration:
Clover (v2.4 r4061)
MB: GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 set to UEFI mode
Graphics (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2047 MB)

And all is running nicely under El Capitan (apart from Chrome which has started crashing the Mac with kernel panics on opening)

Thought I'd try and upgrade to Sierra to see if that'd fix the issue. However I can't seem to get past the first stage of the Sierra installer.

I've got FakeSMC and USBInjectAll in my Other folder on the EFI partition, and I believe the correct settings in BIOS, but it won't get past the first stage of the installer.
If I go to verbose mode from Clover, it stalls on '29 minutes remaining' and then crashes with the following error: "a freed zone element has been modified in zone kalloc.256"

I'm attaching a screenshot in case this makes it clearer. On the occasions that I have seen the Sierra install screen (possibly using safe mode) it's told me that I can't install it on my main SSD drive as there's not enough space (there's around 25Gig free...)

I've tried disabling the NVIDIA drivers but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas why it might keep stalling on the install?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• CameraRoll.jpg
    CameraRoll.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 186
I wonder if someone can help. I've got the following configuration:
Clover (v2.4 r4061)
MB: GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 set to UEFI mode
Graphics (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2047 MB)

And all is running nicely under El Capitan (apart from Chrome which has started crashing the Mac with kernel panics on opening)

Thought I'd try and upgrade to Sierra to see if that'd fix the issue. However I can't seem to get past the first stage of the Sierra installer.

I've got FakeSMC and USBInjectAll in my Other folder on the EFI partition, and I believe the correct settings in BIOS, but it won't get past the first stage of the installer.
If I go to verbose mode from Clover, it stalls on '29 minutes remaining' and then crashes with the following error: "a freed zone element has been modified in zone kalloc.256"

I'm attaching a screenshot in case this makes it clearer. On the occasions that I have seen the Sierra install screen (possibly using safe mode) it's told me that I can't install it on my main SSD drive as there's not enough space (there's around 25Gig free...)

I've tried disabling the NVIDIA drivers but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas why it might keep stalling on the install?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You have both nv_disable=1, nvda_drv=1 in boot args remove nvda_drv=1 leaving nv_disable=1. Have you created a SSDT? FYI without a SSDT with Sandy Bridge you will have a Kernel Panic on boot.

Hi VoiletDragon,

Thanks for your quick reply. Apologies - that screenshot was taken while I was playing around with different combinations of NVIDIA flags. I get the same error no matter which combination with, or without nvda_drv or nv_disable i put in.

The SSDT is intriguing though. Is this specifically an issue for booting into Sierra, as I've never had kernel panics on boot with El Capitan before. It's been a while since I set up this Hackintosh and so I'm trying to remember when I first got it working with Clover and whether I created an SSDT then. I've got 'SSDT-SB-i5.aml' in the 'ACPI/patched' folder on my root EFI folder, if this is what you're referring to?

Hi VoiletDragon,

Thanks for your quick reply. Apologies - that screenshot was taken while I was playing around with different combinations of NVIDIA flags. I get the same error no matter which combination with, or without nvda_drv or nv_disable i put in.

The SSDT is intriguing though. Is this specifically an issue for booting into Sierra, as I've never had kernel panics on boot with El Capitan before. It's been a while since I set up this Hackintosh and so I'm trying to remember when I first got it working with Clover and whether I created an SSDT then. I've got 'SSDT-SB-i5.aml' in the 'ACPI/patched' folder on my root EFI folder, if this is what you're referring to?

You're better to use ssdtPRGen to Generate a SSDT for your CPU. Follow Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management

Brilliant. I'll give that a go and report back. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Note. Its never good idea to have both nv_disable=1, nvda_drv=1 in boot args.

Note. Its never good idea to have both nv_disable=1, nvda_drv=1 in boot args.

Thanks. I don't actually have that in my Clover flags on start up - just nvda-drv=1 for the NVIDIA web drivers. I was playing with stuff and that particular combination happened to be there when I took that screen grab (I think I put nv_disable=1 in as an additional flag and didn't clear the previous one!)

Right. Set up a new SSDT (cheers for the link). Put SSDT.aml in place. All seems fine in terminal.

Went to go back to attempt to reinstall Sierra and got the same error as before. Interestingly though, even though I'm taking out the nvda_drv=1 bit in the install options, it's always back there when I check the kernel panic error. See attached screens for the install options, and then the resultant kernel panic. Interestingly it's there in the options: 'dart=0 nvda_drv=1', even though I've removed it from the main boot options on the opening clover screen, and unchecked it in the macOS Install boot option (got to using the space bar on the boot screen).

I'm starting to wonder whether this is the issue as you stated previously. If Clover is unable to override this setting I guess it'll keep crashing after attempting to install with the conflicting combo of nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1.
CameraRoll_1.jpg

CameraRoll_2.jpg

Right. Set up a new SSDT (cheers for the link). Put SSDT.aml in place. All seems fine in terminal.

Went to go back to attempt to reinstall Sierra and got the same error as before. Interestingly though, even though I'm taking out the nvda_drv=1 bit in the install options, it's always back there when I check the kernel panic error. See attached screens for the install options, and then the resultant kernel panic. Interestingly it's there in the options: 'dart=0 nvda_drv=1', even though I've removed it from the main boot options on the opening clover screen, and unchecked it in the macOS Install boot option (got to using the space bar on the boot screen).

I'm starting to wonder whether this is the issue as you stated previously. If Clover is unable to override this setting I guess it'll keep crashing after attempting to install with the conflicting combo of nv_disable=1 nvda_drv=1.
View attachment 255031

View attachment 255032

You still have both nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 in boot args.

You still have both nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1 in boot args.

I understand. I was looking for a way to remove nvda_drv=1 from my boot args from the Clover Boot screen. I've tried doing it from Clover Main Screen/Options then deleting it from the line with: dart=0 nvda_drv=1, then returning to the boot screen, going to the Install boot option, clicking the space bar and finding it still there in the boot arguments line. At which point I try and remove it from these boot arguments by unticking the box marked 'nvda_drv=1', but it's still there on the crash.

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious here - and I appreciate the time that you're spending trying to help me! Is this something that I should remove from my boot options using Clover Configurator, rather than attempting to do it from the Clover boot screen?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back