Contribute
Register

[Solved] PCI USB3 freezing randomly (but not so randomly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Pavilion 15-ck003nl
CPU
Intel Core i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620 + nVidia GeForce 940MX
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey folks.
I've been running my current Mavericks build for over an year now, and since the beginning I've been struggling with an annoying - and sometimes harmful - issue with my USB3 PCI card.

So, this is the USB card I'm using right now: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00NU2DNZ4/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

I'm using it in conjunction with a powered USB Hub by Aukey. Sometimes my system freezes when I'm using it. Here's what happens exactly.

1) I connect an USB key to the hub. The USB is recognized and I start writing to and reading from it.
2) Sometimes after a while, sometimes even at the very beginning, the connection to the USB key is lost, as if I removed it from its slot manually. This happens only when the USB key is in use, so as long as it's in idle state it doesn't give me issues.
3) If I try to reconnect that specific USB key to any USB port - be it USB2 or USB3, to an external PCI card or mounted on the motherboard - the system freezes. No kernel panics are displayed. Sometimes the reset button on the computer doesn't even work, I have to hard turn off the system by keeping pressed the power button.

I've checked all the threads on this forum already, but it appears that nobody experienced this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back