Contribute
Register

[solved] Patched AppleHDA maxing out CPU utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really look at the SVG thing... I just look directly at the codec dump and go from there.
But patching AppleHDA is time consuming, requires some reading of the Intel HDA spec, and lots of testing/experimenting.
Keep in mind combo jacks are tricky (especially combo mic input).

So finishing this thread, after some help from Mirone, we managed to figure out that what is causing my issue is the micInput, because my laptop have a combo HP jack, there might be some conflict going on that is making my CPU freak out.

The easiest solution was to remove the MicInput lines from Layout3.xml and Platform.xml from AppleHDA.kext,

after that, my internal microphone works great, as well as internal speakers and HP Detection.

And thats for the best anyways, cuz I believe that if I setup my AppleHDA to use the external MIC form the HP combo jack, it would not know whether or not the headphone I plugged in has a mic on it or not.

So using only the internal mic is for the best.

im attaching my Patched Kexts, for macOS 10.12.2.

Attachments

• ALC255 Dell 15-7558.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 167
So finishing this thread, after some help from Mirone, we managed to figure out that what is causing my issue is the micInput, because my laptop have a combo HP jack, there might be some conflict going on that is making my CPU freak out.

The easiest solution was to remove the MicInput lines from Layout3.xml and Platform.xml from AppleHDA.kext,

after that, my internal microphone works great, as well as internal speakers and HP Detection.

And thats for the best anyways, cuz I believe that if I setup my AppleHDA to use the external MIC form the HP combo jack, it would not know whether or not the headphone I plugged in has a mic on it or not.

Marked solved.

Why are there 2 kexts in your upload?
Which one is to be used?
What other changes were made to get audio to work? Any DSDT or config.plist changes or additional kexts?

Frank

Why are there 2 kexts in your upload?
Which one is to be used?
What other changes were made to get audio to work? Any DSDT or config.plist changes or additional kexts?

Frank

This thread is already marked as solved, if you need help regarding this topic, create a new thread linking to this one.

Both kexts are almost the same, with minimal diferences on the Platform.xml files, this kext must be used in conjunction with Audio Layout injection, you should read more about it.

BTW this kexts are ony for 10.12.2, it might not work on newer OS, you will need to extract the Platform.xml files from those kexts and patch the new Apple HDA.

Oh thanks a lot! My Inspiron 13 7348 with ALC255 has exactly the same problems now (bad earphone, slow cpu, reboot into Dell test utility), I'm trying to follow up with this thread...

Update: CPU and headphone problems fixed (still have some other issues about headphone but forget about it now). Thanks to your patched AppleHDA. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Is this problem fixed yet? Is it about your SSDT-8 or USB stuff?
It is probably related to USB, I am redoing my hackintosh now that my dell DW1560 wifi card have arrived, so I still have to work my usb issues.

i Belive that the most recent dell UEFI/BIOS implementations has a feature to turn that self test off, mine doest even on the latest bios, yours might.

I've had similar issue on a Acer E5-575-51GG laptop too, and solved using the same method. The codec is also ALC255.

I'll write down the detailed steps below, in case someone got to this thread via Google search too:
  1. Run AppleHDA Patcher & follow instructions. I used Clover with aDummyHDA.kext + KextsToPatch + DSDT patching. After reboot, audio kind of works, but the headphone outputs distorted sound, and kernel_task is consuming very high CPU and RAM
  2. Install CodedCommander.kext. It seems to alleviate the issue a bit but kernel_task is still running wild
  3. Edit layout3.zlib (decompress with https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/tools/zlib, or https://github.com/Mirone/Zlib) inside aDummyHDA.kext and remove "LineIn" under PathMapRef.Inputs, and the entire "LineIn" entry under PathMapRef. Then everything worked as expected after a reboot

I've had similar issue on a Acer E5-575-51GG laptop too, and solved using the same method. The codec is also ALC255.

I'll write down the detailed steps below, in case someone got to this thread via Google search too:
  1. Run AppleHDA Patcher & follow instructions. I used Clover with aDummyHDA.kext + KextsToPatch + DSDT patching. After reboot, audio kind of works, but the headphone outputs distorted sound, and kernel_task is consuming very high CPU and RAM
  2. Install CodedCommander.kext. It seems to alleviate the issue a bit but kernel_task is still running wild
  3. Edit layout3.zlib (decompress with https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/tools/zlib, or https://github.com/Mirone/Zlib) inside aDummyHDA.kext and remove "LineIn" under PathMapRef.Inputs, and the entire "LineIn" entry under PathMapRef. Then everything worked as expected after a reboot

Very well done man, I incorporated your reply on the first one of this topic so it would be easier for people to solve this.

Jed 852 your applehda.kext is to be install in S/L/E . or put in clover/Kexts/other folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back