HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm not getting anywhere applying the 10.3.3 supplemental update. I noticed clover has defaulted to a boot entry titled, "Boot macOS Install from System" (System being the name of my boot disk). If I start that, the machine starts to boot then panics and reboots. If I select the original boot entry, "Boot macOS from System" (without the word Install in it) the system boots fine but does not appear to have taken the update. I'm left with a folder, "macOS Install Data" on the root of my drive. I'm using intel integrated graphics and APFS on an NVME ssd if that matters.

Attachments

• efi.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
I'm not getting anywhere applying the 10.3.3 supplemental update. I noticed clover has defaulted to a boot entry titled, "Boot macOS Install from System" (System being the name of my boot disk). If I start that, the machine starts to boot then panics and reboots. If I select the original boot entry, "Boot macOS from System" (without the word Install in it) the system boots fine but does not appear to have taken the update. I'm left with a folder, "macOS Install Data" on the root of my drive. I'm using intel integrated graphics and APFS on an NVME ssd if that matters.
  • Remove that offending "macOS Install Data" from the root of your drive and then Empty >Trash
  • Update APFS in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI with apfs.efi (from Tonymac )
  • Re-download 10.13.3 Supplemental
  • Start installation
  • On reboot press F-12 to open the " Select Boot disk screen"
  • Select your "System Disk with macOS High Sierra 10.13.3" to enter CBM screen
  • In CBM screen go to the "Install macOS....." (Not your System disk) and boot "Install macOS .. " to continue the installation to the HDD
  • Repeat this F-12 routine with every reboot needed for the installation to the hard disk from this Install Fragment is completed, for entry to CBM screen to switch back to installer.
  • Final reboot after the last few "seconds remaining " screen, you enter CBM through the main disk and abandon the 'macOS Installer' if still present on CBM , select the main disk - macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 disk, to boot to the login screen.

Thanks cmn699 but I get the same results. I did update apfs.efi and I rebooted just to make sure that didn't cause any problems. Everything there was fine. I started the update, it reboots and when I boot to the install selection it starts up but reboots shortly there after. I let it do that several times just to be sure. Build number in "About This Mac" still shows 17D47.

Thanks cmn699 but I get the same results. I did update apfs.efi and I rebooted just to make sure that didn't cause any problems. Everything there was fine. I started the update, it reboots and when I boot to the install selection it starts up but reboots shortly there after. I let it do that several times just to be sure. Build number in "About This Mac" still shows 17D47.
Since your answer is so brief and skipped to refer to several things in my bulleted list , I got to ask them again

Did you
  • Remove that offending "macOS Install Data" from the root of your drive and then Empty >Trash
  • Re-download 10.13.3 Supplemental
  • On reboot in the first few minutes of starting installation, press F-12 to open the " Select Boot disk screen"
  • Select your "System Disk with macOS High Sierra 10.13.3" to enter CBM screen
  • In CBM screen go to the "Install macOS....." (Not your System disk) and boot "Install macOS .. " to continue the installation to the HDD
  • Repeat this F-12 routine with every reboot needed for the installation to the hard disk from this Install Fragment is completed, for entry to CBM screen to switch back to installer.
  • Final reboot after the last few "seconds remaining " screen, you enter CBM through the main disk and abandon the 'macOS Installer' if still present on CBM , select the main disk - macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 disk, to boot to the login screen.

Sorry about that.
Yes, I removed the "macOS Install Data" folder and emptied trash.
Yes, re-downloaded the 10.13.3 supplemental install package and launched the install.
On reboot at the bios post I press F12 and select my boot disk.
At CBM I selected "Boot macOS Install from System" which starts to load and then reboots.

Sorry about that.
Yes, I removed the "macOS Install Data" folder and emptied trash.
Yes, re-downloaded the 10.13.3 supplemental install package and launched the install.
On reboot at the bios post I press F12 and select my boot disk.
At CBM I selected "Boot macOS Install from System" which starts to load and then reboots.
  • Could there be any issue with the downloaded 10.13.3 Supplemental file?

Could there be any issue with the downloaded 10.13.3 Supplemental file?

I don't see how. I emptied the trash and downloaded it again, actually tried that probably 3 times now. I also tried the update from the App Store and got the same behavior.

Also just for the sake of it I tried the update on a Carbon Copy backup I made of my fresh install using a separate HDD. I got the same results. I'm not sure what that tells me. I think it's something with my system but I don't know what. I used manoj.admlab's guide to set up my system but I didn't do the optional patching he outlined.

I don't see how. I emptied the trash and downloaded it again, actually tried that probably 3 times now. I also tried the update from the App Store and got the same behavior.

Also just for the sake of it I tried the update on a Carbon Copy backup I made of my fresh install using a separate HDD. I got the same results. I'm not sure what that tells me. I think it's something with my system but I don't know what. I used manoj.admlab's guide to set up my system but I didn't do the optional patching he outlined.
I don't have an Intel 300 Series to test.
  • But in all my systems ranging from Intel 6, 7, 8, 9 100 and 200 Series, I had no problem with update when I followed my routine as suggested in my post at #2
  • In most of the above my major installation was through "macOS Install Media" Terminal cmd and manual Clover install method. In a few I have used Unibeast multibeast method to install on System disk .
  • My update steps are as shown in #2

I don't have an Intel 300 Series to test.
  • But in all my systems ranging from Intel 6, 7, 8, 9 100 and 200 Series, I had no problem with update when I followed my routine as suggested in my post at #2
  • In most of the above my major installation was through "macOS Install Media" Terminal cmd and manual Clover install method. In a few I have used Unibeast multibeast method to install on System disk .
  • My update steps are as shown in #2

Yeah it's weird. I haven't had any problems on previous systems either. I've seen a few folks with 300 series post their success on the main 10.13.3 supplemental thread. Everyone else seems to be having problems with NVIDIA drivers which I'm not using.

SOLVED!!!

I read somewhere that FakeSmc.kext should not be in /Library/Extensions/ but should be moved to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. I tried that but didn't help.

Eventually I realized I had duplicates of additional kexts in both folders. I removed everything from /Library/Extensions/ that was ALSO in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. Making sure that the newest version was in the EFI location.

I deleted the stalled "macOS Install Data" from the root of my system disk and then relaunched the 10.13.3 Supplemental install.

Everything's finished successfully and I'm now showing build 17D102.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back