Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 9010
CPU
i5-3570
Graphics
HD 2500
There were at least 2 reports of success on here with this exact machine, so I thought I was home free. Not so...

After booting with my UEFI Unibeast Sierra installer, I get to the Apple logo and a progress bar that makes it almost half way, then it gets a kernel panic. The panic appears to be the same every time - in kernel_task in IOPCIFamily and/or IOACPIFamily. I've tried to follow the Sierra install guide and the other 9010 users as closely as possible. Here's what I've already done:
  • Added cpus=1 to the boot args (otherwise I got a circle with the line through it during boot)
  • Set SATA mode to AHCI
  • Disabled C-States, VT-D, and Speedstep (I know VT-D is supposedly required, the other 2 were out of desperation, none made any noticeable difference)
  • Added -x -v to the boot args (but that just got me one screen of text, which did not scroll. Not sure if it crashed or just didn't know how to scroll correctly so I could see what was going on)
  • Turned off PCI slots in the BIOS
My machine is using on-board Intel video via a VGA cable. It has no cards in any of the PCI-E slots. Is a PCI-E video card required?

Attachments

• 2018-08-16 22.55.46.jpg
    2018-08-16 22.55.46.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 154
My machine is using on-board Intel video via a VGA cable.
It's not going to help with your kernel panic but Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).

Attach your config.plist.

It's not going to help with your kernel panic but Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).

Attach your config.plist.

I've attached the config.plist.

In the meantime, I'll try to track down a suitable ATI card. I know I have a FirePro V3900 and a 7470 sitting around. Are either of these appropriate?

Attachments

• config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 191
After installing an ATI 7470, and editing the config.plist to inject ATI and not Intel, it now boots to the installer!

The install completed, I have Ethernet, and the update to 10.12.6 applied without issue. Here's what I don't have working:
  • sound (tried Voodoo 2.8.9)
  • the ability to change resolution from 1024x768
  • successfully boots only 1/3 of the time (1/3 hangs with 50% boot progress, 1/3 boots to login but no USB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back