Intel HM76
CPU
Core i3 M110
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm very new to Hackintosh, and I've recently installed Mavericks on my HP Probook 4540s. The optical drive does not seem to work when I insert DVD's, and no longer runs CD's (it ran one when I tested it earlier in the week). Whenever I insert a disk, it spins inside of the unit until it gives up and ejects it. In my admittedly limited knowledge, I've tried cleaning the lens and inserting different disks, but nothing changes. The system seems to recognize the drive properly as Disk Burning hardware: "hp DVD-RAM UJ8D1". Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Optical Drive Not Working

Hi,

I'm very new to Hackintosh, and I've recently installed Mavericks on my HP Probook 4540s. The optical drive does not seem to work when I insert DVD's, and no longer runs CD's (it ran one when I tested it earlier in the week). Whenever I insert a disk, it spins inside of the unit until it gives up and ejects it. In my admittedly limited knowledge, I've tried cleaning the lens and inserting different disks, but nothing changes. The system seems to recognize the drive properly as Disk Burning hardware: "hp DVD-RAM UJ8D1". Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds like theres either a fault with the drive. Could be the type of disks your using. Try a different type of disk. i.e DVD R or DVD RW. (Not many people have optical drives in there Probooks no more)

Hi,

Thanks

Test the hardware on Windows.

Both DVDs and CDs worked when I had windows 8 installed. What might this mean?

Did you try a fresh install?

Perhaps a clean install with Yosemite would help. After some research, it looks like even regular Macbooks have this problem with their SuperDrives after updating to Mavericks. I was just wondering if this was normal or not for hacked ProBooks?

How long ago did you test on Win8?

December 22nd, and I installed Mavericks a week ago using your guide (great resource btw, thanks). I got it to run some CD's today (the same ones I've been testing), and even import some mp3's. It still won't run DVD's, but it's at least stopped ejecting them after a minute or so. Seems a bit temperamental at the moment. :roll2:

December 22nd, and I installed Mavericks a week ago using your guide (great resource btw, thanks). I got it to run some CD's today (the same ones I've been testing), and even import some mp3's. It still won't run DVD's, but it's at least stopped ejecting them after a minute or so. Seems a bit temperamental at the moment. :roll2:

DVD movies are DRM-protected. Not expected to work on hacks due to missing parts of the "protected path" puzzle. You might be able to play a DVD with VLC.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

The problem was the optical hardware itself. It didn't seem to have the power to spin the disks fast enough to read them, so I opened it up and took a look. There was a bit of paper debris clogged in there, probably from the previous owner. Luckily, a buddy of mine had an old Lenovo IdeaPad V750 lying around, and she let me have the optical drive off of it. With a bit of modification to switch the tray cover, I've got it fitted and working perfectly in my Probook. Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back