Contribute
Register

[solved] NVME Samsung 950 Pro Hardware Fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170MX
CPU
I7 6700k
Graphics
HD 530 IGFX; GIGABYTE RX 460
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there

I had a dual boot MacOS/Win 10 Hackingtosh whereby MacOS was on my NVME M2 950 pro and Win 10 was on an 850 Pro SSD.

I decided it was time for a clean install of both OS's, and because every time Apple update my NVME M2 stops working, I decided in my wisdom to install the other way round and put the MacOS on my SSD.

So I disconnected my SSD and installed Win 10 on my M2, without a hitch. re-connected SSD and installed latest Sierra on the SSD. On first boot without running multibeast yet, I noticed that MaxOS even saw my M2 windows disk in disk utils - bonus I thought. However, after Multibeast the M2 NVME disappeared?

The Windows partitions also disappeared from Clover, so I hit my boot toggle and the NVME M2 isn't listed in BIOS boot options?

My BIOS was at F4,so I upgraded to latest F20 and on first boot NVME M2 was listed, but UEFI boot sector was not so it wouldn't boot into windows. On 2nd BOOT NVME is no longer listed in BIOS?

Am I missing something here or has my NVME M2 packed in? Thanks in advance for any thoughts - just going back to F4 BIOS to see what occurs..........

and because every time Apple update my NVME M2 stops working,

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/

So I disconnected my SSD and installed Win 10 on my M2, without a hitch. re-connected SSD and installed latest Sierra on the SSD. On first boot without running multibeast yet, I noticed that MaxOS even saw my M2 windows disk in disk utils - bonus I thought. However, after Multibeast the M2 NVME disappeared?

You probably have NVMe patches in your config.plist on the USB, but not in the config.plist you're using otherwise.
Or some other problem.

The Windows partitions also disappeared from Clover, so I hit my boot toggle and the NVME M2 isn't listed in BIOS boot options?

My BIOS was at F4,so I upgraded to latest F20 and on first boot NVME M2 was listed, but UEFI boot sector was not so it wouldn't boot into windows. On 2nd BOOT NVME is no longer listed in BIOS?

Am I missing something here or has my NVME M2 packed in? Thanks in advance for any thoughts - just going back to F4 BIOS to see what occurs..........

Do you see it in the PCI device list in BIOS?

Note: No such thing as a "UEFI boot sector".

Yep I found out about the class code spoofs after I decided to do this!

No the NVME drive isn't visible in the BIOS anymore - It will not let me go back to F4 BIOS so I loaded optimal defaults and it came back? I then gradually set my BIOS up for MacOS and now I have NVME showing in BIOS and MacOS loading. However even booting from F12 key it does not show Windows EFI (yes not UEFI sorry!) sector, only partition 1 so it will not boot of course. Only had windows 10 & drivers installed (no progs or data) so I just booted to Windows USB installer for fresh install and we will see if I can dual boot no doubt!!

Your comments appreciated as always.

Yep I found out about the class code spoofs after I decided to do this!

No the NVME drive isn't visible in the BIOS anymore - It will not let me go back to F4 BIOS so I loaded optimal defaults and it came back? I then gradually set my BIOS up for MacOS and now I have NVME showing in BIOS and MacOS loading. However even booting from F12 key it does not show Windows EFI (yes not UEFI sorry!) sector, only partition 1 so it will not boot of course. Only had windows 10 & drivers installed (no progs or data) so I just booted to Windows USB installer for fresh install and we will see if I can dual boot no doubt!!

Your comments appreciated as always.

You can re-create Windows UEFI boot files with BCDBOOT.EXE within a WinRE.

You can re-create Windows UEFI boot files with BCDBOOT.EXE within a WinRE.
Thanks again - yes I thought the boot files may be missing - all re-installed and working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back