Contribute
Register

[Solved] NVIDIA Web Driver iBooks Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, same problem here on 10.12.1, this looks like an nvidia driver bug... When looking at errors in the console while trying to open an ebook, I see those errors:

Code:
Library Validation failed: Rejecting '/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriverWeb' (Team ID: 6KR3T733EC, platform: no) for process 'iBooks(596)' (Team ID: none, platform: yes), reason: mapping process is a platform binary, but mapped file is not

Code:
Library Validation failed: Rejecting '/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb' (Team ID: 6KR3T733EC, platform: no) for process 'iBooks(596)' (Team ID: none, platform: yes), reason: mapping process is a platform binary, but mapped file is not

Code:
Error loading /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb:  dlopen(/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb, 265): no suitable image found.  Did find:

/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb: code signature in (/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceMTLDriverWeb.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceMTLDriverWeb) not valid for use in process using Library Validation: mapping process is a platform binary, but mapped file is not

Code:
Unable to create basic Accelerated OpenGL renderer.
Code:
Core Image is now using the software OpenGL renderer. This will be slow.

Those are files from the NVIDIA pkg. Apparently they have an invalid signature or something... :/

If anyone finds a fix, please share !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 01.27.46.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 01.27.46.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 01.29.41.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 01.29.41.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Is it at all helpful to anyone that my workstation is fine with iBooks and doesn't seem to have the issue described here? I'm using the Nvidia Web Driver on a Kepler-family GPU and 10.12.1 16B2555.

Possibly relevant I still have SIP disabled from when I configured SwitchResX. So another interesting point is that I have HiDPI enabled on two displays that are not 4K displays; I run a 30" Cinema Display at HiDPI 1920x1200 and a 24" Samsung at 1680x1050 at HiDPI.

Thanks for the info @inc. Nvidia does not really do such a good job of developing those drivers, there are always tons of problems ! :( Screw them... Would really be cool if one of the lead hackintosh driver developers were to take on the project of translating this open source linux Nvidia drivers over to Mac. Unix -> Unix. Different driver mechanisms sure, but I guess it will still remain C or C++ code. Would be amazing, and when this happens we be fully indepandant from Nvidia's half baked mac drivers ! https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

So much of those drivers have to be oriented around Xorg and other uses for the framebuffer devices, I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how likely a port would be. The bottom line for me is that I stick to cards that are supported with the Apple-supplied drivers. If Nvidia makes a faster/better one, fine, I'll use it, but it would suck to not have use of it or even worse make software unusable.

Alright folks, Good news !

Nvidia support just confirmed me that they are working with Apple to find a fix for this bug.

---

Hi _,

The case was escalated to me for review. We have received report of this issue from other customers and currently engaged with Apple to investigate. This is a known issue we are actively working on and hope to provide a solution soon. I will certainly notify you as soon as a solution is available. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Best regards,
_

---

Lets cross our fingers now for the next update.

Alright folks, Good news !

Nvidia support just confirmed me that they are working with Apple to find a fix for this bug.

---

Hi _,

The case was escalated to me for review. We have received report of this issue from other customers and currently engaged with Apple to investigate. This is a known issue we are actively working on and hope to provide a solution soon. I will certainly notify you as soon as a solution is available. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Best regards,
_

---

Lets cross our fingers now for the next update.

Thanks for the update, hope it's soon :)

What other apps aren't working?

It appears to be anything that uses Metal with shaders. In my case, the two that are giving me the most frustration are Apple's Instruments.app (part of Xcode), various aspects of Xcode.app itself (the memory debugging view for example) and an app I help develop, Reveal (http://revealapp.com/).

I've ordered a new MacBook Pro. Running a Hackintosh is fast, and a lot of fun, but ultimately I need to be able to do my job. The NVIDIA web drivers aren't being updated at any kind of meaningful pace (the updates we see appear to just be bumps to the plist to allow the drivers to load under new macOS builds). Oh well, I knew that was a possibility going in - I'm not complaining.

Yes @tonyarnold ! Indeed it's a problem with Metal... Some libraries of the driver fail to load because of signature problems, see my earlier posts for the console errors that get generated by iBooks.

I fully agree with you, the update pace for Nvidia drivers is a joke. The only way to use a hackintosh in a professional setting is to use a graphic card already compatible with Apple vanilla drivers.

Enjoy the new Macbook Pro, it's a jewel... Nothing can beat that !

It appears to be anything that uses Metal with shaders. In my case, the two that are giving me the most frustration are Apple's Instruments.app (part of Xcode), various aspects of Xcode.app itself (the memory debugging view for example) and an app I help develop, Reveal (http://revealapp.com/).

I've ordered a new MacBook Pro. Running a Hackintosh is fast, and a lot of fun, but ultimately I need to be able to do my job. The NVIDIA web drivers aren't being updated at any kind of meaningful pace (the updates we see appear to just be bumps to the plist to allow the drivers to load under new macOS builds). Oh well, I knew that was a possibility going in - I'm not complaining.

Some libraries of the driver fail to load because of signature problems, see my earlier posts for the console errors that get generated by iBooks.

That explains an awful lot. I've not looked into library validation too much, but it appears that the code signatures need to be generated differently. Hopefully NVIDIA have the permissions necessary to do this (not sure how they're even allowed to install in `/System/Library/Extensions/` under SIP…). They must have some kind of exemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back