Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start at 1:13. I were eating rockmelon and dropped it when I heard what Jay said :))

In terms of theory, I see it the slightly differently.

Pro users and high end consumers need powerful PC's and GPU's. Apple's current line does not support the needs of these customers, and hasn't for a long long time. When their (very slow) research demonstrated these customers are getting fed up with Apple, and considering moving to Microsoft, they had to act.

1. Demonstrate a commitment to this market segment by pre announcing lineups, and try to give some faith to users to hold out.
2. Give Nvidia support to this market segment to BUILD Hackintoshes (effectively giving the green light for us). As hack users (and Apple too), our biggest Achilles heel is not the CPU, motherboard, RAM, or SSD, but the GPU power for the past year.

So to stem the haemorrhage to W10 and damage to Apples reputation, they gave us all support. Why? Because they could see it as:

1. Better to keep users on their platform, even if its unofficial, as having customers through some form is better than not having them. These customers (such as myself), go on and buy other Apple products, such as MacBooks, iPhone, iPad etc.. I suspect the Pro and high consumer end is also in this position. The ecosystem strengthens.

2. Any customer moving away from Apple weakens their market position and relevance, and directly increases Windows position, and relevance. Its a duopoly out there. One outcome had a direct opposite effect on another.

Apple did NOT have to give NVIDIA support this early. It is wayyyy too early. If future iMacs and MacPros will have NVIDIA support/products in them, Apple would have announced the drivers (or given NVIDIA to release them) at THAT time in the future, say end of 2017 or at some point in 2018 when the MacPro is released). Its not like these Apple products are going to be released next week. Its months or up to 2 years away.

Giving the green light to release Pascal support is BASICALLY Apple throwing us (hack users) a lifeline, and in some ways trying to say sorry to the high end of Apple power users (to build a hack if they haven't done so yet). Not because they need us (as described, if anything, they still make money off us all, including future pro users turn hack users who are disenchanted with the current pro lineup), but because without a hack community, many users will be angry, frustrated, and upset their loyalty to the brand has been destroyed. They will move to Windows (or already have because until now, Apple and Hackintosh were weak in GPU strength), and as previously mentioned, strengthening their ecosystem, while directly weakening Apples ecosystem.

I am confident the release of NVIDIA drivers (which Im sure were ready to be released by NVIDIA but awaiting Apples direction) and Apples announcement was not a coincidence at all.

Of course the drivers officially support cheese grater MacPro users, but I suspect there aren't many of them left (not as much as Hack users).
That's exactly my thoughts, too.

Now, it has to be said that at some point there are going to be computers in our range again, and when that happens, it's quite likely that Apple will start clamping down on Hackintoshes. But, by that time, I'll be happy to buy an actual Mac because there, once again, will be a Mac that I actually want.

If Apple gives us support while they're working on a new product, and then revokes it once they have a good replacement, they're going to win big. In fact, that's effectively what they did when Steve Jobs came back to the company when they ended the clone program, and only a fool would claim they lost from that.

The only difference between today and back then is that back then Apple only had the Mac. If Apple only had the Mac right now, they'd be in a lot of trouble - but thankfully their other devices keeps them going.

The question is, when are these drivers going to get released! and if they do, do you think it will allow my 1070 to use the DP channel alongside a HDMI monitor? And will it fix the "No graphics card detected issue" It's been so annoying building this hackingtosh. Just when you think you're free apple slap you with their massive di*k. Is it so hard to ask for a windows and mac pc! grrr!

Only reason my current rig isn't a hack isn't running sierra is the GTX1070 I use.

Would love to get my hands on these drivers like anyone else.

Also protip for people getting on the bandwagon of 10xx bandwagon, The Founders edition card designs aka the untouched pcbs will be the best bets to get running. I know my gtx970 msi gaming was abit of a pain to get working in sierra when i was using hack last.

I hadn't thought of this being my first post here, but the search function served me well in my build/install (except sleep wake)

So I guess I'm in waiting with you guys, because amazon has sent me an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 (used, it's called warehouse deals in germany) instead of a used GTX 950

Who is this Mr Manual Guy, he better hurry ;)

Nvidia staff Mr Manual has said the beta drivers can drop next week.

Uh, really? It's awesome!

I hadn't thought of this being my first post here, but the search function served me well in my build/install (except sleep wake)

So I guess I'm in waiting with you guys, because amazon has sent me an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 (used, it's called warehouse deals in germany) instead of a used GTX 950

Who is this Mr Manual Guy, he better hurry ;)
you ordered a 950 and received a 1080? I would let them know so your not liable down the road...

Now, it has to be said that at some point there are going to be computers in our range again, and when that happens, it's quite likely that Apple will start clamping down on Hackintoshes. But, by that time, I'll be happy to buy an actual Mac because there, once again, will be a Mac that I actually want.

I can't see them clamping down on hackintoshes unless it starts to affect their sales, disrupt their reputation, or become a security threat. To date, Apple has tolerated hackintoshes, and there is no reason for that to not continue, unless it starts to affect them in some manner.

I can't see them clamping down on hackintoshes unless it starts to affect their sales, disrupt their reputation, or become a security threat. To date, Apple has tolerated hackintoshes, and there is no reason for that to not continue, unless it starts to affect them in some manner.
Right, but my argument is precisely that, if Apple has a product that directly competes with Hackintoshes (such as a consumer-grade or pro-grade tower with replaceable components, say) then they have good reason to expect that Hackintoshing would affect their sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back