Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year without macOS! Wow, preparing for installation, never used Sierra with acceleration...)) Just need a new SSD for Mac, my old ones are full)

And the timing couldn't be better since I got used to switching to Ubuntu (Unity) and Ubuntu is dropping the desktop. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to switch too, and this happens! I'm switching back.

Hopefully this is not a one time thing and we get further updates, but I'll take it. For my deep learning box I'll build I'll drop an Titan Xp in now running macOS instead of Linux.

About a year without macOS! Wow, preparing for installation, never used Sierra with acceleration...)) Just need a new SSD for Mac, my old ones are full)

THANK GOD! Geeezzzzuusss Apple finally took their head out of their ...? I got a great idea - MORE NEGATIVE APPLE reviews. Maybe then they'll fix their other broken products.

I was pretty close to buy a 980ti hehe, just about the time! This is BIG news! Hopefully with the new gpu releases and modular mac pro they will keep developing the drivers as well!

I've been lurking on this thread for more months than I can remember as well. Was about to go for an RX 580 when it comes out this month - glad I waited!

Regarding the delay in drivers, considering how close the timing was, maybe they had an agreement with Apple to wait until after the new Mac Pro announcement. Maybe Apple thought if pascal drivers had been available, more pro users would have just built a hackintosh or even assumed a new Mac Pro was in the works and held off buying the trash can model? If the drivers are coming out next week then they must have been in the works for a while now, with help from Apple.

I've been lurking on this thread for more months than I can remember as well. Was about to go for an RX 580 when it comes out this month - glad I waited!

Regarding the delay in drivers, considering how close the timing was, maybe they had an agreement with Apple to wait until after the new Mac Pro announcement. Maybe Apple thought if pascal drivers had been available, more pro users would have just built a hackintosh or even assumed a new Mac Pro was in the works and held off buying the trash can model? If the drivers are coming out next week then they must have been in the works for a while now, with help from Apple.

That was my thought all along. Mutual silence must have been for a reason.

The dawn of hope has finally come. What about time.

It also came paired with the announcement of their $1200 flagship card, a CUDA monster. I still don't buy the scenario where Apple cares about hackintoshes, so their response is to draw a line in the sand with a third party hardware vendor. If they cared enough to do something like that why wouldn't they just make this whole hackintosh way more difficult than it currently is? It's not like they can't detect who is running on one.

I'm not so sure Nvidia needs apple to be involved to write a pascal driver. If it's the same as their current drivers but just with Pascal support that's just a matter of Nvidia supplying the Pascal kext; they already have all the other pieces in place. If it's a driver intended to fix some of the outstanding bugs ('Ibooks bug' etc) then likely yes, Apple has to be involved somehow.

I think the bigger thing here is that they are openly supporting Pascal, which means bug reports won't get met with a 'that card isn't officially supported' from the frontline tech support. Maxwell was never listed as supported by any of the drivers, which could sometimes lead to interesting conversations with their support folks.

I love some of the theories that get posted :lol:

Not sure about this one though. The hackintosh community is just not big enough for Apple to have any concern about. If they did they could shut down a community like this or engineer their software to make it pretty much impossible to do what we do.

I also think it is unlikely they are selling many Mac Pro's right now. Its very dated as we all know, and how many peeps genuinely would want to spend that many $$$ on such a machine? Schiller already aluded to the fact that pro users have been using and switching to iMacs. Delaying the drivers until the new pro was announced ? I just think its unlikely.

Given the time frame for the Mac Pro, Apple have clearly only just started work on it, so it only came onto their roadmap quite recently. Though even with that, Im surprised it is still going to take so long. Most of the technology we are likely to see used in it has already been used by Apple; TB3, the newer USB stuff etc. With the resources and design team at Apple's disposal, how long can it take to design a new chassis/form, modular or not.

Giving a nod to nVidia AFTER the decision to revamp the Mac Pro and iMac makes more sense I think. Apple know with renewed nVidia support including pascal, that it would very quickly get the attention of both the pro and home users. Apple dont want to lose those pro users. Not only could that result in ceding users over to MS, it could also lose the support from business. If that happened, Apple would be left in the position of serving nothing higher than pro-sumers. Whilst that is a highly profitable sector (For Apple at least), it could have a knock on effect for the likes of government, education, carplay, health & medical, planned AR etc in Apple's long term roadmap. Government & business is too important for Apple to lose. Tossing out a new Mac Pro every couple of years (Whether profitable or not) is childs play to Apple and shows at least a degree of commitment. What they potentially stand to lose if they dont is far bigger I reckon.

Whatever the reason though, we as a community can only gain from the announcements :p

Not sure about this one though. The hackintosh community is just not big enough for Apple to have any concern about. If they did they could shut down a community like this or engineer their software to make it pretty much impossible to do what we do.
I think they're very deliberately not shutting us down. There is no doubt they're aware of our existance.

There is also no reason for Apple to make NVIDIA develop Pascal drivers other than to hit their aging Mac Pro customers who use custom GPU's, which I suspect is far less than the number of Hackintoshes.

I actually think the Hackintosh community is quite large. I certainly meet quite a few of them these days in real life and online. I think Apple is very well aware of us, and I actually don't think they mind us, as long as we're not trying to sell this stuff.

What we're doing is spreading Apple's platform in a market segment where Apple does not compete anymore. Why would they be against that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back