Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 530, over HDMI, I believe higher than 1080p is available under two solutions, YMMV:
1. apply patches to properly configure the port type for your HDMI connector, that is, change the connector type for your HDMI port from the default of DP (0004 0000) to HDMI (0008 0000 I believe). There are posts in the forum about how to do that. It's a config.plist patch. You first boot up with just HDMI attached and determine which port is HDMI, then you apply the patch to that port. -- OR --
2. use the pixel clock patch: https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2.
I will show this to my "Computer Men", for me, all this doesn't say anything :(

Thanks you

at 1:12 "Apple is planning a brand new modular Mac Pro".

If what Apple said is correct that means the new Mac Pro IS upgrade able, and this means that Apple should give the chance for people to be able to upgrade to Pascal GPUs, that if not the new Mac Pro is already a Pascal equipped Mac.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say it but... I'll believe it when I see it. We might be interpreting something entirely different. We can't be sure a tower with PCIe is what they mean by "upgradability." The word modular bothers me. That might me thunderbolt eGPU on an iMac "Pro." It's wonderful to actually hear something though.

at 1:12 "Apple is planning a brand new modular Mac Pro".

If what Apple said is correct that means the new Mac Pro IS upgrade able, and this means that Apple should give the chance for people to be able to upgrade to Pascal GPUs, that if not the new Mac Pro is already a Pascal equipped Mac.

I'm sorry to say it but... I'll believe it when I see it. We might be interpreting something entirely different. We can't be sure a tower with PCIe is what they mean by "upgradability." The word modular bothers me. That might me thunderbolt eGPU on an iMac "Pro." It's wonderful to actually hear something though.

At least they spoke up about their 4 years old trash can, I wont lose hopes!

This is really unprecedented by Apple. They never ever talk about any specific product. I assume they're so disenfranchised by all the negativity from the Mac community (especially the Pros)...that they had no choice but to address it to the press.

I'm actually super happy about this. If this means they can give us the option to either pick the latest and greatest AMD or nVidia GPU during checkout, that would be amazing. Especially for this community. Matter of fact I might just go back to a real Mac if they pull this off :D

Apple can't really fight the Pro community anymore, they have to give them what they want and they want a large single fast GPU and the latest CPUs. Even though the Mac Pro is probably below 9% of the Mac sales, it doesn't matter, it's kind of like the glue that holds the longtime community together.

Also Mac Pros are a niche market, and the power users are usually very picky. It's not like the iPhone where you just take what you're given. So "expandability" probably means PCIe slots or quite possibly as mentioned, an eGPU box, but I think it's the prior. Maybe an mATX sized Mac?

People grew up in Mac households and first computers were Macs, it would be disheartening for Apple to let that go and give it away to Microsoft, which we all know has a terrible track record in general.

Let's all take a breath and relax -- I bet next year when Volta comes out, Apple will have a BTO option for the Mac Pros for nVidia and AMD.

In the meantime, people need to get 980Tis or RX480's....

The iMac that comes out this year will probably have an RX480 or equivalent so drivers will be official and people can relax for a bit until things cool down and we can have hot-stinking-beefy nVidia GPUs again in Hackintoshes.

FYI the 980Ti is still an amazing card. Just get the right cooler and you're good to go.

Agreed, I'm thrilled the they spoke up. It's something I'd love to hear from Nvidia as well. Just talk to us. Despite what the trolls on the NVidia site say I know a large number of developer Pros (not in quotes) that use Macs for work and home. I have several and I built a hack out of need. I'm a little too happy with the higher end self created system to want to buy a prebuilt mac at the moment. That said, if they come out with a decent mac Pro I might consider buying one.

At least they spoke up about their 4 years old trash can, I wont lose hopes!

YEAH!!!!!!!!

Open to Mac Community
Speaking of users, we’re also making the new TITAN Xp open to the Mac community with new beta Pascal drivers, coming this month. For the first time, this gives Mac users access to the immense horsepower delivered by our award-winning Pascal-powered GPUs.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/04/06/titan-xp/

<- Opens popcorn and sits back to watch the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back