Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn still no pascal support huh? been waiting a year, i need to run mac os x for certain things and tired of VMs that wontload after changing the slightest thing

Good news, everyone:
http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

Here's hoping that they won't skip Pascal GPUs entirely when the new Mac Pro comes out next year.

You beat me to it. This is big, BIG news for the Hackintosh community. Here's an excerpt from Phil Schiller (emphasis mine):

We’re not going to get into exactly what stage we’re in, just that we told the team to take the time to do something really great. To do something that can be supported for a long time with customers with updates and upgrades throughout the years. We’ll take the time it takes to do that. The current Mac Pro, as we’ve said a few times, was constrained thermally and it restricted our ability to upgrade it. And for that, we’re sorry to disappoint customers who wanted that, and we’ve asked the team to go and re-architect and design something great for the future that those Mac Pro customers who want more expandability, more upgradability in the future. It’ll meet more of those needs.

This means GPUs, guys. Big, hot, fast, expensive GPUs. :headbang:

This could explain why Nvidia has been silent about Pascal support.

More lean towards pascal(or beyond):

TechCrunch
asked Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of software engineering, what the boost in the "pro" aspect of the Mac Pro will mean for the company's power users. In response, Federighi mentioned software capabilities in the virtual reality space, as well as tasks centered on high-end cinema production.
I ask who, exactly, the pro customers are that needed the more powerful GPU in a Mac Pro most.
“There’s certain scientific loads that are very GPU intensive and they want to throw the largest GPU at it that they can,” says Federighi. “There are heavy 3D graphics [applications] or graphics and compute mixed loads. Those can be in VR, those can be in certain kinds of high end cinema production tasks where most of the software out there that’s been written to target those doesn’t know how to balance itself well across multiple GPUs but can scale across a single large GPU.”

The news regarding the Mac Pro is, huge. No question. It means, IMHO, that the Hackintosh has a fantastic future. So, if you bought yourself a 980ti, you did the right thing. ;-)
J

Last edited:
I was wondering when someone would point that out.

Yes, but you are missing a key component.. From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

QnjfuUV.png

80+/- % of all users are using Windows.
11% use macOS.

According to the Stack Overflow survey, approximately 50% of all programmers who filled out the survey use Windows and 26.6% use macOS.

Which means, macOS is punching above it's weight, by 2x with programmers then with regular users.

This is why that poll is interesting. macOS are over represented in regards to programmers by two times.

J

Well it's about time. For a while there Apple seemed to be drifting into a "dumb it down" philosophy, trying to make OSX machines look as much as possible like iPhones, dumbing down the apps to "casual user" quality (and thus we lost Aperture and gained, so to speak, Photos). Noises of support for pro users sound good from where I'm sitting. Still... I'm not buying that GTX1080 I've been coveting for over a year, not until NVIDIA releases :)

Speaking of which, Obduction for OSX finally released (without all that much hoopla that I noticed) and ohboy, does it look like a GPU (and CPU) killer. Haven't fired it up yet, but I think that one release alone may drive a blip in demand for bigger, meaner, faster hardware. The game devs just keep raising the ante.

Yes, but you are missing a key component.. From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

QnjfuUV.png

80+/- % of all users are using Windows.
11% use macOS.

According to the Stack Overflow survey, approximately 50% of all programmers who filled out the survey use Windows and 26.6% use macOS.

Which means, macOS is punching above it's weight, by 2x with programmers then with regular users.

This is why that poll is interesting. macOS are over represented in regards to programmers by two times.

J
Lies, damned lies and statistics... for some jobs programmers need to use a Mac, like making apps for iPhones. For others people might just prefer to use a Mac, like coding on websites. And if you work in an office job you are probably spending some time using Windows. More interesting maybe would be hearing about Linux sysadmins using Macs in their work but haven't found that survey yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back