Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been months, im starting to think we will either never get drivers or we might just get new AMD cards and drivers before the NV Pascal ones, if that happens ill switch to AMD.

I just can't understand why to ignore the hackintosh market, altho is a smaller niche market it would get a lot more cards sold.

I just can't understand why to ignore the hackintosh market, altho is a smaller niche market it would get a lot more cards sold.

There's literally dozens of pages in this 164 page thread talking about this.

Moaning and complaint really won't get us what we need, but it's worth a try -- Apple doesn't care and never has -- they move to the beat of their own drum.

The only PCIe slot Mac Pro left is the 2010-2012 5,1 Mac Pro, and Apple will definitely drop support for it in the next release of macOS, so it wouldn't make sense for any GPU manufacturer to make drivers for this market when they have millions of PC users that they can cater to.

It's unfortunate, but it's reality.

Sadly Apple is gimping all those eGPU solutions in OS X, support for TB3 eGPUs is actually worse than TB1/TB2 was (although it should be the other way around). It will be very hard to provide professional-level support until Apple stops doing so.

All TB3 chassis with "old" TI chipset (Akitio Thunder3, Razer Core) will be rejected by OS X for unknown reasons, which can be fixed with a binary hack though, enabling at least Nvidia GPUs (no AMD yet).

The only TB3 chassis with the "new" TI chipset (Akitio Node) is OOB supported by OS X, but OS X won't detect any GPUs (no workaround yet).

Pretty ironic that a TB3 eGPU setup on a genuine Mac requires more hacks and fiddeling than my Hackintosh. :lol:

Damn, what a weird move by Apple. Maybe they are cooking something up themselves or that want to control, per usual, the experience as tightly and having eGPUs running fine would diminish the incentive to buy a) a more expensive GPU and b) upgrading less frequently.
But still weird. Can they command via Firmware if the controller chip ignores an eGPU?

Tired to wait for the drivers. So I rebuild the main machine with the fanless gt 730 and now have the perfect computer for working (i7 6700K/64 GB DDR4 2666)/ASUS Z170 Deluxe. Sierra works perfect.

Left my GTX 1080 for Windows gaming and CUDA programming with hardware from the shelves (i5 6400/32GB DDR4/ASUS Z170-P).

But I still hope to get the drivers =)

@Gymnae: I have no idea why they're doing this, as they're not into eGPU business themselves (and I honestly don't expect them to enter as they didn't care about expandability for a looong time now).

The strategy which sounds most logical to me would be ignoring any eGPU approaches (like they're ignoring us...), but they're actively setting up road blocks. Looks like they want to be in 100% control over their hardware...

Apple doesn't care and never has -- they move to the beat of their own drum
Apple is not the problem, the real problem is technical. Nvidia does not offer 6 display support, full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back