Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
ThAnk you, I was afraid of that! The 980's are so expensive compared to my 1060 right now.

Buy them second hand on eBay... They will last for an eternity. Even my dual 970 Strix are overpowered now.

Even if we still don't have Pascal drivers on MacOS, my experience with Linux is that I wasn't able to get suspend/hibernation working, and that there's no true official bug support from NVIDIA. The best you can get is a half-working Pascal-based box. Quite disappointing, I hope NVIDIA releases MacOS Pascal drivers at some point. I posted my preliminary conclusions with Linux here.

NVIDIA is really missing here and it's interesting that they are. It appears they lack the software ability to match their very capable hardware.

Even if we still don't have Pascal drivers on MacOS, my experience with Linux is that I wasn't able to get suspend/hibernation working, and that there's no true official bug support from NVIDIA. The best you can get is a half-working Pascal-based box. Quite disappointing, I hope NVIDIA releases MacOS Pascal drivers at some point. I posted my preliminary conclusions with Linux here.

NVIDIA is really missing here and it's interesting that they are. It appears they lack the software ability to match their very capable hardware.
To be honest, with current Apple's decision nVidia giving support is nearly meaningless for them

Mac Pro looks like a dead project, iMacs/Macbooks are not using their card(despite NV's performance/watt is better)

The only Mac Pro still serving is just too old

And mostly Apple is the only mainstream OS does(or will) not support vulkan

Or nVidia is just simply want to wait till their all Pascal cards are released so they can save some dev resource for other projects

And after 10.12 they remove a mouse API which makes SmoothMouse no longer works

That makes mouse heavy games impossible to play

I'm going for team red for their next year card but will pull back my main works from Hackintosh to Windows

I'm going for team red for their next year card but will pull back my main works from Hackintosh to Windows
It's very good that you develop your source code in several OSs, but let me say something I learnt from the past, when SGI IRIX died: More than 90% of your source code should always be OS-independent. Just plain standard C and C++. And always access the hardware through either multiplatform libraries, or by heavily encapsulating OS-dependent code. Mind you, my current source code tree should be able to build on IRIX with little or no effort (in fact I plan to build for NeXTSTEP through Previous in the near future, just for the sake of ensuring that I'm being true to my commitment of standard coding).

While this is off-topic, I couldn't resist, because it's usually very sad to see good apps and good games that cannot easily support other OSs just because the coding strategy wasn't clearly established. So, yes, it's good if you can continue development on Windows, but keep your OS X backend alive, and test building on OS X from time to time. Just my 2 cents.

Protip for anyone using 980/980Ti or 9xx series in macOS.

Disable Intel inject in clover completely and remove all traces of intel from the config file and any nVidia/CUDA related glitches will go away.

Also make sure Intel is disabled in the UEFI. Either use "Auto" or "PCIe" for boot GPU.

Last edited:
I have a gt 640 in my hack and i like put a 1070 to game in windows until we receive drivers from nvidia..
in osx i will be using only the gt 640.. but my question is.. the 1070 will be off by default ? or i need disable in the bios or else ?

Last edited:
I have a gt 640 in my hack and i like put a 1070 to game in windows until we receive drivers from nvidia..
in osx i will be using only the gt 640.. but my question is.. the 1070 will be off by default ? or i need disable in the bios or else ?

I have my strix970 in slot1 and strix1070 in slot2, set bios to use slot1 and turned off intel gfx completely, the 1070 is 'on' but not used in macOS and I disabled the 970 in windows, works great. Unfortunately my 27" Wacom only has one output so I have to switch the DP from one card to the other depending on OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back