Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to swallow a scenario where Apple feels threatened enough by hackintoshes the they apparently lean on Nvidia to not release Pascal drivers (yet let them continue to release Maxwell drivers, an architecture that has never existed on a mac ever), but don't implement 'anti hackintosh' measures in the base OS to any real degree. They're clearly not THAT threatened here.

Also no one (except for a handful of Nvidia engineers) knows how hard it would be to move to 371 on OSX. OSX has the added complication of requiring they write a Metal driver, which doesn't exist on any other platform. Maybe they could reuse a lot of what they've done for maxwell/kepler/fermi, or maybe it's way more complicated than that. Who knows. Certainly not us.
Yes, that's my impression too. What Mac model exactly is threatened by Hackintoshes? Supposing there's a model that could be hurt by hacks, it would be only the Mac Mini and the New Mac Pro, which are precisely the models that Apple seems to not care at all. Neither none of the Macbooks (which some people buy for installing even Linux on them[*], so their sales aren't threatened by hackintoshes at all), nor the iMac (bought by people who want a great and slim display and don't need cutting-edge performance), have any sales loss at all from hacks.

My feeling is that Apple isn't preventing NVIDIA from releasing Pascal drivers (what's the deal they supposedly made if we are three months away from the date Pascal support was expected to be released, and we still have no evidence of new NVIDIA GPUs in new MacOS betas, and if there are no current NVIDIA GPUs capable of being shipped with current ultraslim Macs? Did they make a deal for buying NVIDIA GPUs in 2018 if they won't release webdrivers?? Come on, it's totally ridiculous!!)

So, I think this looks like if we were in a plane, we notice strange and risky maneuvering, and we start to imagine there's a fight in the cockpit, or the captain got ill, or whatever. But the reality is that the cockpit is empty. Sorry guys, but I think this is the truth: If you open the Mac cockpit, you won't see neither Apple nor NVIDIA, nor Tim, nor anybody there. It's plain empty. Nobody cares.

[*] P.S: In fact, even if I manage to get a Mac-friendly Ubuntu installation, my next laptop will likely be an Apple one, because no other laptops in the market have such a high performance/lightness ratio, and I really need very light laptops -and very heavy desktops-. So, I conclude Apple doesn't care at all about hackintoshes: they'll still get Macbook purchases (they'll lose purchases of heavy desktops but they don't care about that)

Last edited:
Yes, that's my impression too. What Mac model exactly is threatened by Hackintoshes? Supposing there's a model that could be hurt by hacks, it would be only the Mac Mini and the New Mac Pro, which are precisely the models that Apple seems to not care at all. Neither none of the Macbooks (which some people buy for installing even Linux on them[*], so their sales aren't threatened by hackintoshes at all), nor the iMac (bought by people who want a great and slim display and don't need cutting-edge performance), have any sales loss at all from hacks.

My feeling is that Apple isn't preventing NVIDIA from releasing Pascal drivers (what's the deal they supposedly made if we are three months away from the date Pascal support was expected to be released, and we still have no evidence of new NVIDIA GPUs in new MacOS betas, and if there are no current NVIDIA GPUs capable of being shipped with current ultraslim Macs? Did they make a deal for buying NVIDIA GPUs in 2018 if they won't release webdrivers?? Come on, it's totally ridiculous!!)

So, I think this looks like if we were in a plane, we notice strange and risky maneuvering, and we start to imagine there's a fight in the cockpit, or the captain got ill, or whatever. But the reality is that the cockpit is empty. Sorry guys, but I think this is the truth: If you open the Mac cockpit, you won't see neither Apple nor NVIDIA, nor Tim, nor anybody there. It's plain empty. Nobody cares.

[*] P.S: In fact, even if I manage to get a Mac-friendly Ubuntu installation, my next laptop will likely be an Apple one, because no other laptops in the market have such a high performance/lightness ratio, and I really need very light laptops -and very heavy desktops-. So, I conclude Apple doesn't care at all about hackintoshes: they'll still get Macbook purchases (they'll lose purchases of heavy desktops but they don't care about that)

Hang on, just to be clear, you think Nvidia won't add Pascal support because they don't care about Macs anymore and don't want to spend the effort updating the drivers?

Then why continue to release Maxwell support? If they've really given up on macOS as a platform why bother releasing web drivers at all anymore.

If they had stopped releasing drivers I'd be inclined to agree but they haven't, they continue to update 367 to include support for new OS versions which is where Im struggling. They are putting effort into updating old drivers and that's just baffling.

Hang on, just to be clear, you think Nvidia won't add Pascal support because they don't care about Macs anymore and don't want to spend the effort updating the drivers?

Then why continue to release Maxwell support? If they've really given up on macOS as a platform why bother releasing web drivers at all anymore.

If they had stopped releasing drivers I'd be inclined to agree but they haven't, they continue to update 367 to include support for new OS versions which is where Im struggling. They are putting effort into updating old drivers and that's just baffling.

367 drivers are _old_ The effort was already done when they included Metal support within it. But once it's done, I'm guessing they're just recompiling the same source over and over, only doing fixes in case of compiler error.

Recompiling for any 10.12.x release means clicking a button. No more effort than that.

I feel there're only two possible scenarios: a) NVIDIA recently decided to reduce the investment on MacOS drivers, or b) NVIDIA is trying to use this for telling Apple "look how many MacOS users get angry if you continue to ignore NVIDIA in new Macs". The rest of scenarios suggested in the thread (Apple forbidding webdrivers or NVIDIA trying to "play nice", look nonsense to me, for the reasons I wrote above).

Only one flaw with that, metal support is already in 367 and given Nvidia share the codebase across all platforms it stands to reason that metal support is already partially done in 371 too, I mean its not like they would remove the metal libraries during the update to 371 and its not like 371 brought any major changes to the codebase so it would mean hardly any more work than what you described, few minor code changes to address any changes then recompile 371 for macOS, job done.

In actuality it would be much more work for the driver team to remove metal from the code entirely so the metal excuse doesn't hold true for me.

I keep thinking there's something we are missing here:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't nVidia use to release Mac version of their GPUs? Designed specifically for the Mac with custom made BIOSes, etc...

Since we do not have a single Mac Pascal card on the market - how are we to expect drivers to ever appear?

I keep thinking there's something we are missing here:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't nVidia use to release Mac version of their GPUs? Designed specifically for the Mac with custom made BIOSes, etc...

Since we do not have a single Mac Pascal card on the market - how are we to expect drivers to ever appear?
Because they released drivers for Maxwell despite there never being any official Maxwell card for macOS either.

Because they released drivers for Maxwell despite there never being any official Maxwell card for macOS either.

I am not googling any of what I'm writing in here (as usual) so my question might come across as a little dumb, but:

Wasn't the 750 in the MacBook Pro (I want to say 2014?) a Maxwell-based card? And as such - why wouldn't it get support?

And not to trough cold water on this as well but, what would NvIdia test on? The only thing they could target and test on officially in 5.1 and I would suspect it could be EOL next release. That would also assume this is a valid enough platform for them to support. Ultimately nothing exists in the Apple product line that supports GPUs.

Like someone else said it's eGPUs or 5.1 that they can even target, hacks they can't really.

And this of it this way as well, you are a hardware company that has resources dedicated to supporting you hardware on target platforms. The only platform on Apple's side is outdated (5.1) and you don't want to support it due to the outdated architecture. I don't think anything officially saids you CANT run a PC with PCIe 2.0 and Westmere/Nahalem XEON with the 10 series but I thinks it's "unsupported" aka "not tested."

But I'm talking out of me bum as I don't have a clue what they are doing internally.

I find it hard to swallow a scenario where Apple feels threatened enough by hackintoshes the they apparently lean on Nvidia to not release Pascal drivers (yet let them continue to release Maxwell drivers, an architecture that has never existed on a mac ever), but don't implement 'anti hackintosh' measures in the base OS to any real degree. They're clearly not THAT threatened here.

Also no one (except for a handful of Nvidia engineers) knows how hard it would be to move to 371 on OSX. OSX has the added complication of requiring they write a Metal driver, which doesn't exist on any other platform. Maybe they could reuse a lot of what they've done for maxwell/kepler/fermi, or maybe it's way more complicated than that. Who knows. Certainly not us.

Laptop purchase, totally agree. If I buy a new one it's an Apple laptop. For my desktop dev system it won't be Apple for a while.

What's funny is that they're even updating 10.11.6 El Cap drivers.

After the last Security Update from Apple 2 days ago, nVidia updated the drivers within 36 hours....so they have people working on Macs for sure...and they probably love macOS, just that they're limited by how Apple handles the pro-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back