Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that different than "suspend"? I tried "suspend" just yesterday when asiga mentioned that he had a problem with this and I don't see any issues.

I googled EIST and C states and I am not getting the impression that these are Skylake specific features.

Just to be clear, have you actually tried the 4.4 kernel and you personally experienced problems, or you concluded that it didn't work based on what you read?
I have tried Ubuntu 16.04 & 16.10 but both of the suffered from a Nouveau bug where my cursor was stuck in the top left of the screen. Easily fixed that one by installing Nvidia drivers but sleep & hibernation do not work at all.

Moved onto Linux Mint Sarah, wouldn't even boot the installer. I tried it in UEFI & Legacy boot modes but both had the exact same result, boot from USB, select install, screen goes black and nothing ever happens.

Moved onto Debian 8, realised it has Kernel 3.12 (didn't detect my lan and even a USB WiFi wouldn't work without additional software) and stopped so finally moved onto Debian 9 preview. Thing only comes as a net installer, no biggie but it did take hours to install. Exact same Nouveau issue (cursor stuck in top left hand corner) only this time installing the Nvidia drivers spewed out errors about failed to compile something something kernel 4.8, initramfs update failed then reboots and just hangs on a black screen.

Honestly I'm just being picky, I was able to get Ubuntu to a very usable state very easily but the lack of sleep and hibernation is a big deal to me as I literally use hibernate every single day. I've done the due diligence and asked around and was told that full Skylake support is only present in 4.8 and higher, I have no idea how true that is mind.

As for EIST & C States, those are most certainly not Skylake specific but support for them on the Skylake platform was patched into Kernel 4.7 and native in 4.8. Running an earlier kernel means they don't work properly.

Excellent stuff, I'll certainly give that ppa a look over the weekend, guess I'm installing Ubuntu again. If I can get Ubuntu to 4.8 without having to rebuild everything from scratch then I'll be a happy chappy. Heck I'd be happy just to get hibernate working.

Well I got my first response from a Nvidia OS X driver engineer. His message started off by saying "I can't comment on Nvidia or the Pascal driver but...". He started talking about the fact they're all disappointed in Apple and where Mac has been heading for the past 5 or so years. He also said he does all development on a Hackintosh! At first I was surprised, but then after thinking about it, it makes sense. A lot of these professional dudes tend to stray away from the Hack topic for obvious reasons. He ended the conversation by saying what we all know - for power users it's obvious that Apple doesn't need or want to cater to our needs/business so maybe it's time to start exploring other options. So again, not a definitive "No" but an insinuation we shouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Would you care to copy/paste your entire chat into the thread or is that confidential?

That's very interesting actually! Didn't expect you'd get such an honest reply. I wonder what Nvidia would think about him sending this kind of reply though. Perhaps you'd better not share the entirety of this conversation for the sake of this honest developer. Just my two cents.

That's very interesting actually! Didn't expect you'd get such an honest reply. I wonder what Nvidia would think about him sending this kind of reply though. Perhaps you'd better not share the entirety of this conversation for the sake of this honest developer. Just my two cents.

Yeah let's not share the full email, they're usually under NDA.

I think Apple just won't approve their drivers because it eats away from the Mac sales.

If you check the latest Sierra drivers, it just has Mac Pro 5,1 listed as "compatible". After Sierra, the 5,1 will probably be deemed as "end of life" and that means nVidia can't release any drivers.

If you look at the WebDriver Kexts, they are all signed and approved by Apple. nVidia, as a big company, can't just release unsigned drivers....unless some disgruntled employee leaves and releases the source code for the community to work off of...but even then, what happens after Pascal?

It's just a rocky time right now. I think the only reason we're still seeing Maxwell updates is because Apple "approved" Maxwell back whenever and since Apple still has 1 Mac Pro series supported that actually has PCIe slots, nVidia is able to release driver updates for them.

We are royally screwed, guys.

Yeah let's not share the full email, they're usually under NDA.

I think Apple just won't approve their drivers because it eats away from the Mac sales.

If you check the latest Sierra drivers, it just has Mac Pro 5,1 listed as "compatible". After Sierra, the 5,1 will probably be deemed as "end of life" and that means nVidia can't release any drivers.

If you look at the WebDriver Kexts, they are all signed and approved by Apple. nVidia, as a big company, can't just release unsigned drivers....unless some disgruntled employee leaves and releases the source code for the community to work off of...but even then, what happens after Pascal?

It's just a rocky time right now. I think the only reason we're still seeing Maxwell updates is because Apple "approved" Maxwell back whenever and since Apple still has 1 Mac Pro series supported that actually has PCIe slots, nVidia is able to release driver updates for them.

We are royally screwed, guys.

I don't see anything special about the kext signatures that indicate they are 'approved' or signed by Apple any more than any other signed bundle/kext released by anyone else. They're just signed with Nvidia's dev key, that obviously has kext signing capabilities. Apple DOES approve the addition of kext signing to a cert, but they do it primarily to prevent people from signing kexts that bypass system security.

So essentially it's up to apple then ? And by the looks of things, that's a very very bad thing...(touch bar and all...)

Because Apple doesn't support it and condones it, nVidia can't "support" it.

Once the 5,1 Mac Pro is unsupported, it will get worse for nVidia.

The ONLY thing I see that will be "officially supported" will be the eGPU market -- because eGPU is an official part of Thunderbolt 3.
things do not need to be recognized by Apple. Do you think every usb device/product that works in os x was made by people that sat down with Apple and got their blessing? Apple wouldnt survive in the desktop market if every developer needed to kiss their ring. I have a yamaha usb device, and im pretty sure the kext to make it run was developed without having to go through apple. NVIDIA doesnt need apple. Apple is the one that will potentially need NVIDIA. Why? NVIDIA can make their cards run on Apple without apples permission. Apple will only order mass NVIDIA cards when the NVIDIA cards make the most economical sense. This will happen even if Apple is "mad" at NVIDIA over "supporting hackintosh" (which merely making cards work in Macos does not innately equal "they support hackintosh!", but even if they openly did), since Apple has to choose the best card at any given moment despite their "feelings". Apple isnt going to lose millions over a tantrum. They have investors. In any case, I said **** it, and got a 980 ti (selling my 1070).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back