Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is off topic, but I just want to ask
Let's say nVidia will eventually support Pascal on Sierra, the problem I really concern is the mouse acceleration
How do you guys deal with mouse acceleration after SmoothMouse no longer works?
If there's a solution close enough to SmoothMouse I would definitely get 1070
But right now 980ti seems to be a much promising choice?

Could you please elaborate on this? I installed Ubuntu 16.04, which currently means 4.4 Kernel, on my Skylake based computer without any issues (that I am aware of...).
Try and use hibernate or sleep. From my research on the matter the 4.8 Kernel is the first version to have full Skylake support, that means things like EIST & Turbo work properly as well as C States.

Its nothing too serious and you could get by and never really be bothered by it however I use sleep and hibernate a lot on my machine and the lack of support is enough to annoy me.

Combine that with a few other (very specific) niggles that I encountered (not all Skylake related) and the experience was far from perfect.

Try and use hibernate or sleep. From my research on the matter the 4.8 Kernel is the first version to have full Skylake support, that means things like EIST & Turbo work properly as well as C States.

Its nothing too serious and you could get by and never really be bothered by it however I use sleep and hibernate a lot on my machine and the lack of support is enough to annoy me.

Combine that with a few other (very specific) niggles that I encountered (not all Skylake related) and the experience was far from perfect.
I hope my post about this isn't the cause for your impressions. I do need a recent Pascal GPU for my development/research work, so I'll try to follow the advices given here for suspend/hibernate to work on Ubuntu 16.04, as they're also important in my daily work. Even if I felt very disappointed in my last Ubuntu install because it hasn't achieved an OOB working status yet, however I'd never consider Windows as an option, as it isn't a real development machine (even with Cygwin) , and the system installation gets cluttered too soon by third party stuff that turns it slow and with poor behavior. When an OS requires an antivirus, it's a bad OS.

Still, very sad that Pascal isn't supported on MacOS, but I need Pascal, so I've no option but to tune Ubuntu to be stable and comfortable.

"I'm gonna go to Windows cause I can't use my 1070, a card which I knew was unsupported and I still bought it even though it has the same performance as a 980Ti which is supported. Then I'm gonna come here and moan about stuff and threaten to leave hackintoshing"

Well GLHF

Try and use hibernate or sleep.

Is that different than "suspend"? I tried "suspend" just yesterday when asiga mentioned that he had a problem with this and I don't see any issues.

I googled EIST and C states and I am not getting the impression that these are Skylake specific features.

Just to be clear, have you actually tried the 4.4 kernel and you personally experienced problems, or you concluded that it didn't work based on what you read?

I hope my post about this isn't the cause for your impressions. I do need a recent Pascal GPU for my development/research work, so I'll try to follow the advices given here for suspend/hibernate to work on Ubuntu 16.04, as they're also important in my daily work. Even if I felt very disappointed in my last Ubuntu install because it hasn't achieved an OOB working status yet, however I'd never consider Windows as an option, as it isn't a real development machine (even with Cygwin) , and the system installation gets cluttered too soon by third party stuff that turns it slow and with poor behavior. When an OS requires an antivirus, it's a bad OS.

Still, very sad that Pascal isn't supported on MacOS, but I need Pascal, so I've no option but to tune Ubuntu to be stable and comfortable.

Is that different than "suspend"? I tried "suspend" just yesterday when asiga mentioned that he had a problem with this and I don't see any issues.

I googled EIST and C states and I am not getting the impression that these are Skylake specific features.

Just to be clear, have you actually tried the 4.4 kernel and you personally experienced problems, or you concluded that it didn't work based on what you read?

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04.1 yesterday and shared a couple first-minute impressions in THIS thread - so we can keep talking about this there? I am interested in this myself.

Try this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/242045/how...idia-amd-or-intel-graphics-drivers-on-ubuntu/

and use this tool for the kernel:

Ukuu:

https://launchpad.net/~teejee2008/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

You will save a lot of heart-ache

That's it, I'm officially taking a sabbatical from Hackintoshing and moving over to Windows full time.

I didn't want to do that but I have no real choice. Linux is to buggy under Skylake short of compiling my own build around the 4.8 Kernel (I've considered it) plus Nouveau has some serious issues with Pascal making initial install a pain in the ass. I even looked into Debian 9 early release which comes with Kernel 4.8 however its not possible to install the Nvidia GPU drivers on it without it taking a dump which leaves me with the Nouveau issues I mentioned earlier plus if my suspicions are correct Nvidias drivers simply don't support Kernel 4.8 yet anyway so it appears I cannot get a stable Linux install until Nvidia add support for 4.8 into the drivers. In case anybody is interested, on K4.8 the Nvidia drivers install fine but at the end it tries to update initramfs then spews out errors about failed to compile something something kernel 4.8 then it fails the update and if I reboot my system it just black screens, I can't even access a terminal to recover it.

macOS works perfectly with Skylake but has no Pascal support.

At this point Windows is the only OS that will work on my PC without issue, its a shame but hey, it works at least.

I'm gonna keep my macOS install on my HDD (I actually clean installed it recently) and check in every once in a while just to make sure but I'm no longer checking this thread every day as I'm now fairly confident Nvidia are never going to add Pascal support to Sierra.

Its been a blast guys, good luck and have fun. At least I can repurpose my 8GB flash drive for something other than macOS recovery now, every cloud has a silver lining :)

Yup Ubuntu on skylake is very good. 4.8 kernel even better. See above post to help make it wonderful with NVIDIA drivers and 4.8 kernel.

Could you please elaborate on this? I installed Ubuntu 16.04, which currently means 4.4 Kernel, on my Skylake based computer without any issues (that I am aware of...).

Hi Guys.

Been following this thread for a week now and seems like driver for GTX 1070 is not going to be released any time soon.

I have gtx 670, which I was using with Yosemite before upgrading to 1070. My question is: Can I plug both graphics card in my mother board (GA-Z77X-D3H) and switch 670 whenever I want to boot into Yosemite?

Thanks

Well I got my first response from a Nvidia OS X driver engineer. His message started off by saying "I can't comment on Nvidia or the Pascal driver but...". He started talking about the fact they're all disappointed in Apple and where Mac has been heading for the past 5 or so years. He also said he does all development on a Hackintosh! At first I was surprised, but then after thinking about it, it makes sense. A lot of these professional dudes tend to stray away from the Hack topic for obvious reasons. He ended the conversation by saying what we all know - for power users it's obvious that Apple doesn't need or want to cater to our needs/business so maybe it's time to start exploring other options. So again, not a definitive "No" but an insinuation we shouldn't count on it anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back