Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, 142 pages of nothing but speculations and moaning. What's the point? It's obvious the real culprit are greedy Apple executives who have long only been interested in making as much money as they can and of course pandering to minorities (except for professionals, sadly).

XQC put it quite well: there are Pascal drivers even for FreeBSD and Solaris, ffs! As if those were huge markets, lol… It's obviously not the cost and it's not like NVIDIA refuse to make the drivers—it's Apple prohibiting them from effectively supporting unlicensed OS X usage which negatively impacts their hardware sales (which however isn't true, just like with piracy—people won't buy it either way) if they want to compete with AMD as their supplier in the future. NVIDIA stay silent because they want customers to buy their cards and we continue to hope that basic human decency that makes great open source projects possible somehow exists in the corporate sphere but guess what—it doesn't! These people aren't going to give you anything for free so unless you can throw a few millions at their faces or they can make money out of pretended philanthropy, don't expect any favours, suck it up, and get used to Linux, because that's what I'm going to do (and without a new NVIDIA card just as my last sulky middle finger to both of them).

I should also point out that Apple has become a greedy SJW-infested corporation which no longer cares about producing cutting-edge products with great user experience. No, they are only interested in selling expensive phones and watches to gullible masses who spend hundreds of pounds on a new iPhone even if they can hardly pay they rent, updating their operating systems with new SJW-compliant emoji, and making their outdated and overly expensive hardware as difficult to upgrade or repair as possible while of course neglecting the Pro line entirely. Marketing MacBook Pros with a touch bar with emoji… What a flipping joke! :D

Save yourselves the trouble and move on. If the support eventually comes, fair enough, if it doesn't, you won't be disappointed.

Apple's main source of income is iOS devices. This isn't Steve Job's Apple anymore.

Also macOS is NOT an open-source operating system like FreeBSD & Solaris....even though it uses open-source counterparts. It's a closed system. I'm not making an excuse for them, just saying how the world functions. They could give a rats ass about 5,000 hackintosh users, when they can get money from 5 million Starbucks loving students who want to buy the TouchBar based MacBook Pro to write their failing movie scripts.

My peers in this business are flying to Windows (even though they hate it). I will kill myself before I go Windows full time.

Last edited:
It's obvious the real culprit are greedy Apple executives
Your arguments and conclusions are based on one assumption; Apple purposely chose not to design Nvidia into new Apple products. The truth, Nvidia does not offer a single graphics product meeting Apple's 2015/16/17 laptop or desktop requirements.

Specifically, no Maxwell/Pascal product supports 3x 5K displays over DP 1.2, a huge Nvidia market/product oversight. The late 2013 Mac Pro made this requirement obvious years ago as do the late 2016 15" MacBook Pro and the unannounced early 2017 27" iMac.

The "greedy Apple executives" had no choice; Nvidia has not and does not offer products that meet Apple's graphics requirements.

I mean why would you kill yourself?

It's a figure of speech, chill out ;).

I hate Windows with a passion. I don't care about any of it's "upsides."

I've been a hardcore PC person starting in the 90s, so please spare me about the "upsides" of using Windows :D

There's nothing "elitist" about being a Mac user. For me, i've always done my best work on Macs because macOS (then OS X) is an intuitive operating system. Shortcuts are great in finder, font management, fun to use, even 18 hours a day/6 days a week. It's elegant, has Terminal, is Unix-like.

Not to mention the great Apple Care if you get a genuine Mac. They've replaced my macs over the years so many times for free -- so I could go back up to running again. I love that with macOS you don't have to be an IT department to keep it running efficient. I could go on and on, but there's plenty of threads about this. The only reason I built a Hackintosh desktop (I have a retina macbook pro and recently sold my 12 core mac pro) is that I just wanted a CUDA capable card for specific software called Octane.

I have no idea- I did read some posts that allegedly inferred that NVIDIA put the idea down. I have considered that. I have read every post in this thread and my feeling is that the more noise we make the better chance there is that NVIDIA might pay attention. Let's just keep posting til we get a definitive answer.

I still have not received a dignified answer to my dignified email to them. It's ok, I realize they shouldn't officially identify me or validate my person but let's just have the facts.

:D

NVIDIA definitely would not want to identify themselves with you, no offense. Would be a bad move for their partnership with Apple.

Your arguments and conclusions are based on one assumption; Apple purposely chose not to design Nvidia into new Apple products. The truth, Nvidia does not offer a single graphics product meeting Apple's 2015/16/17 laptop or desktop requirements.

Specifically, no Maxwell/Pascal product supports 3x 5K displays over DP 1.2, a huge Nvidia market/product oversight. The late 2013 Mac Pro made this requirement obvious years ago as do the late 2016 15" MacBook Pro and the unannounced early 2017 27" iMac.

The "greedy Apple executives" had no choice; Nvidia has not and does not offer products that meet Apple's graphics requirements.

This is true. Also nVidia doesn't have mobile chips for the 1000 series. They're still stuck on the 900 series.

AMD offered Apple more display lanes in a smaller 14nm Finfet package with lower TDP.

I think AMD goes above and beyond to please Apple. Apple never put the greatest and latest GPUs in their Macs.

nVidia has always been this "rough macho" type of company that just releases hardware that has crazy performance. AMD is more of an incremental company.

I don't even think Apple can fit a GTX1060 in an iMac since the thermal envelope is so small. And they're definitely making the next imacs thinner...

At some point they have to release 368.xx driver and Pascal support starts from there.
I must have missed that, but where is the source from Nvidia for that statement? I see it over and over again that we're waiting for a specific version number. Personally I don't think that the correlation between version number and Pascal support is a given.

I must have missed that, but where is the source from Nvidia for that statement? I see it over and over again that we're waiting for a specific version number. Personally I don't think that the correlation between version number and Pascal support is a given.
368 is the revision which had initial Pascal support (judging by Linux and Windows drivers). If Nvidia chooses to make a WebDrivers based on that specific revision, it's likely to contain Pascal support. They may still remove it (like Apple stripped Maxwell supports from their Sierra drivers, although they're based on a revision which should contain it), but Nvidia never did that in the past.

here we go! hope hope hope!

Really what we want is 375.10. That includes the 1050 Ti etc... That would also be the next logical upgrade for Nvidia to make.
here we go! hope hope hope!
Very optimistic - unfortunately at this point, I'm beyond this form of optimism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back