Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad theres no feedback from Nvidia. As I mentioned many pages ago, i suspect this is all just a political play to remain on Apple's good side. Nvidia really does not have much to lose by NOT releasing a driver on OSX (and driving up sales) but if they want business from Apple, its possible they don't want to be seen as 'promoting' unofficial hardware and hackintoh.
They also don't have anything to gain by creating 10 series drivers. It's not going to add a whole lot to their bottom line. It's the same reason Apple doesn't refresh the MP or Mac Mini. It's such a miniscule part of their total revenue that they give it very low priority and focus on watches and tablets, phones and laptops that have the high 30% + profit margins.

and this person told me there will never be a 1080 driver.. As he told me they support till 600 series and never officially supported 700 and 900 cards.. they only make a 'simple' driver he said that will make OSX recognise the card and does not take full advantage of the cards capabilities.

If they were standard support, they're not going to be privvy to upper decision making. From all signs, the 9 series cards are fully capable, so it's not a simple driver that we're using now. Not to get people's hopes up, but I would take what the support person said with a grain of salt.

They also don't have anything to gain by creating 10 series drivers. It's not going to add a whole lot to their bottom line. It's the same reason Apple doesn't refresh the MP or Mac Mini. It's such a miniscule part of their total revenue that they give it very low priority and focus on watches and tablets, phones and laptops that have the high 30% + profit margins.

I would agree with this. Hackintosh community is small in number and generally keep their GPU much longer than Gamers. nVidia efforts right now is trying to maintain lead against Vega and Navi. We are small potatoes. I am certainly entertaining and looking forward to AMD RX* support, also speaking as a non-gamer.

I know this is a large thread so it's hard to keep up, but just to reiterate some things:

1) It's highly unlikely anyone will ever be able to port a linux video card driver to OSX. You may have seen drivers for other things (network cards etc) that people 'ported' to OSX, but those are much simpler things than video card drivers. The kernel architectures are completely different, not to mention you have to deal with the whole 'how do I make a metal driver' thing; which you aren't going to get any guidance for from a linux driver. I mean it's possible some rock star will come along and pull it off, but that's a long long shot.

2) The frontline support people don't know anything about this stuff. You're lucky if they even know there's an OSX driver to begin with. Do not believe anything they say about releases or the lack of them. In the same quoted passage above that claimed there is never going to be a 1080 driver, they immediately said something incorrect about the current one. To call the existing web drivers 'simple' and the bare minimum for the OS to recognize the card is pretty out there. I mean, it has G-SYNC support (added when Sierra released, I believe); that's going a bit beyond 'bare minimum'.

The only way anyone is going to know the fate of Pascal drivers is if they somehow manage to get someone in mid to upper nvidia management to make a statement. Companies tend to be pretty tight lipped about this stuff, though.

hey also don't have anything to gain by creating 10 series drivers. It's not going to add a whole lot to their bottom line. It's the same reason Apple doesn't refresh the MP or Mac Mini. It's such a miniscule part of their total revenue that they give it very low priority and focus on watches and tablets, phones and laptops that have the high 30% + profit margins.

I completely agree its a very small gain by releasing drivers but at the same time how hard can it be for a very small team to do this? It could be a 2-4 person job surely spread over some months. Hardly a cost reason to reject developing drivers. Love to be proven wrong and they do release the damn thing.

Just built my first Hackintosh this weekend. I decided to take a risk and go for the GTX 1080 for Windows gaming and the Intel HD 530 (i7 6700k) for work stuff on macOS.

So far it seems to be working. Setup was tricky since the HDMI port on my mobo doesn't support 3440x1440, so I had to change the port to `01` in Clover for DisplayPort. I also have Inject Intel enabled.

Only issues I'm having now are the widely reported top left screen flickering. Annoying, but if you set your menu and dock to dark theme it's much less noticeable.

Sound and iMessage are also not working, though I haven't put much effort into that yet.

Can you explain that how did you change the port to 01 in clover for DisplayPort? I need to set the start up port to DIV.

I'm using the nVidia 710 DIV port. My primary GPU is 1080, but as driver are not available for it, that's why I'm using the 710 as secondry.
System is working perfectly, with few minor issues, Bigger one is that every time system starts from my GTX 1080 DispalyPort and then I have to manually (from my LED options menu) change the port to DIV. Which is quite annoying.
So is there a way that I can force the system to use the DIV port of my secondry GPU at startup?

My System Specs are:
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1.0 w/intel 5390
Dominator 3200 32GB DDR4 Ram
Asus MG278 LCD
Primary GPU 1080 G1 (at DisplayPort)
Secondry GPU in 4th PCIe slot: nVidia 710 (DIV port)

using the Colver
Windows 10:

Video (710)
LAN
Wifi
Sound (with some issues)
Sleep
Bluetooth

Both Mac and Windows boots with the 1080 GPU, but in mac I had to change the display port to DIV on every boat (from LCD options menu) as 1080 loaded without acceleration

Everything is working correctly.
Except the issues which I mentioned above

Last edited:
I was talking to a friend that works at Nvidia and he said that from what he knows is that the next Cuda for MAC driver will include Nvidia 375 driver. He thinks that includes pascal support.

CUDA installers do not contain the graphics driver. They would be separate releases and 99% of the time the graphics driver is released first.

CUDA installers do not contain the graphics driver. They would be separate releases and 99% of the time the graphics driver is released first.

All I have to say is:

upload_2016-11-12_0-29-48.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back