Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK then what about...(looks up price for RX 480) OMG, $350 CAD FOR A GPU!!!!! Alright, I can see where you are coming from, it's just to bad that Pascal GPU's aren't supported on MacOS yet.:(
Oh well, there's always a GTX 970 for MacOS and 2 Titan XP's on Windows/Linux :thumbup:

Alright true but for the "FCPX also isn't the only NLE for OS X." thing, I know, and I know Adobe Premiere and IMovie exist, but according to this video
by HardwareCanucks, FCPX was faster, stable and more reliable than Adobe premiere.
However, if you are right in the fact that Apple made FCPX optimized for both AMD and Nvidia GPU's, it will make my life like, 10 times easier for my future build.:mrgreen:

UPDATE: After checking out this video by Crowdfunding tech and, by looking in the comments,
I can safety say that using a Nvidia card for FCPX is going to be slower than a Macbook Pro. So, I still might get a RX 480 or a RX 280x just for FCPX because, I don't wanna use Adobe premiere or Sony Vegas.

If you're only interested in render time perhaps you should look into Resolve 12.5. It sounds like you've already made you're mind up on which way you want to go though.

Tony, many thanks for writing to NVIDIA. I am also among those dithering, stalling, waiting to see if the 1000 series GTX will be supported. If it will, I have an upgrade/shuffle plan involving an Akitio EGPU built around my existing 970 (to upgrade a 2013 iMac for my spouse), then a GTX10x0 for my flagship Hackie. I would buy the 1060 today if the driver were available -- but in a month or two I might even be tempted to splurge on a 1070 or (gulp!) 1080. I guess I could go AMD but truthfully, I'm intimidated; I have some familiarity with NVIDIA and don't really want to venture into murkier waters.

I know there are only thousands of us, not millions, but thanks for pointing out to NVIDIA that they are losing potential sales. And now we wait...

The difference in performance between AMD cards and Nvidia cards in FCPX seems to have definitely closed over the last year or so. Perhaps it's simply brute force but based on Bruce X the difference seems to have significantly closed and the Nvidia Web drivers seems to have increased performance. I used to get mid 50 seconds for my 970 but since sometime in El Cap those numbers have dropped to the low 20s.

The link you provided is over two years old. I'd imagine there are more recent comparisons between Red and Green on the site which might be more illuminating.

The SLI bridge is included in the box for Nvidia cards so that doesn't really seem like a detractor.

FCPX also isn't the only NLE for OS X.

Don't really want to start a flaming war. Just asking for advise. If this is the case, I will keep the 1070 and play the waiting game. Can you give me any links @emjay96 ? My other build has a 280x so no worries on that. I used 370x OOB couple of years back in my video editing build. Then later I used a 780 ti and fcpx wan't that bad. Although it wasn't up to the cheap 370x performance, but I could live with that, since dual booting and playing wicher 3 with that 780 ti was super fun. I am not a heavy gamer, but I do like dark souls 3 !

Don't really want to start a flaming war. Just asking for advise. If this is the case, I will keep the 1070 and play the waiting game. Can you give me any links @emjay96 ? My other build has a 280x so no worries on that. I used 370x OOB couple of years back in my video editing build. Then later I used a 780 ti and fcpx wan't that bad. Although it wasn't up to the cheap 370x performance, but I could live with that, since dual booting and playing wicher 3 with that 780 ti was super fun. I am not a heavy gamer, but I do like dark souls 3 !

It looks like the major improvement came somewhere between 10.10.5 and 10.11.3.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gtx-970-now-at-parity-with-r9-280x-in-fcp-x.184643/

For me having a card that works well in both windows and OS X is necessary as I dual boot my system.

Hope that helps.

I would like to double check the current limitations for pascal cards

I am planning to configure a game/workstation for development running the following...
Dual boot
-macOS > running parallel > windows 10 > visual studio
-windows 10 + gaming

I understand that pascal does not work for macOS now. I have to configure the iGPU to run for macOS and have to manually remove/replace the physical cable to switch between a pascal card and stock inbuilt dvi. is there any other way that does not involve replacing the physical cable?

It looks like the major improvement came somewhere between 10.10.5 and 10.11.3.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gtx-970-now-at-parity-with-r9-280x-in-fcp-x.184643/

For me having a card that works well in both windows and OS X is necessary as I dual boot my system.

Hope that helps.
Hi,
I also have a dual boot system, but I'm using 2 GPUS : 1st one (Titan X'M) for booting on Mac OS, the second one (Titan X'P) for W10. So far, it works pretty well. Also PCI EXPRESS SSDs are a great improvement, especially for FCPX (on my side).
For MacOS, I managed to install a NVMe SSD and the speed difference is incredible.

I'd rather use the IGPU than buy an AMD card just for FCPX, if only I could get the damn Intel Quick Sync working.

One thing I noticed on my previous build (w/ i7-2600k and GTX 780) is that even though it felt snappier while editing, it was almost 5-6 times slower than my Late 2013 rMBP when it comes to exporting the final video because the rMBP could fully utilize Intel's Quick Sync technology.
Hi, Idid install PCI EXPRESS SSDs especially for FCPX, and it's a great improvement. With a Titan X'M it's 2/3 times faster than my 2012 MBPr 15. Cheers.

I hope this works- I just emailed NVIDIA PR: :thumbup::geek::ugeek::mrgreen:

Big fan of NVIDIA GeForce cards- I run a site called tonymacx86.com which specializes in helping people build computers and install macOS on generic PC hardware. I was hoping to get in contact with someone at NVIDIA regarding macOS Web Drivers.

There is huge pent up demand in our community for your new lineup of cards, the Pascal GeForce GTX 1070 and 1080. Unfortunately there is no Pascal driver included in your Web Driver package, so we are forced to recommend the older 9xx series to new builders. We think if you were to add Pascal support it would help NVIDIA’s manufacturing partners to sell a lot of graphics cards.

If you have any information, or if you can forward this email to the proper channel I’d be very appreciative.

Sincerely,

-tonymacx86

http://www.tonymacx86.com
You forgot the Pascal Titan X!!! (I hope they also support it if they release the drivers, because it's my card)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back