Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only problem when using using IGpu is that you can't achieve 1440p or 4k at 60hz, unless you have a displayport connection on your motherboard (OS X won't allow that via HDMI)... And that's a big problem for me.
Yeah tell me about it, I need a 2k 144hz rez, that no mobo is outputing right now.

Last edited:
I manged to get iGPU working for OS X but after a reboot it would not show my Bios screen or boot selection on startup which is annoying. For the short term fix I might just add another monitor to use as the main screen in OS X then use my normal monitor as an additional one.

You don't need an additional monitor, just switch inputs while booting on the current one. BIOS and boot selection screens are there, you are just not seeing them as you have the other input selected on your monitor.

I've given up on trying to get Clover out of low res mode, it's beyond me.

However, I totally see the point of the 1080 now, it's a beast of a GPU. I spent the best part of a day reinstalling my flight sim (Prepar3d) and all its many GB of add-on scenery, and the performance leap is just incredible.

Areas that were giving me 20 fps at best on 2x 670 SLI cards are now well over 50 fps at all times, often up to 70+, and this is with most of the settings turned up much higher than I had them before. I guess it cost about the same as the two 670s, so maybe it wasn't such a bad deal after all.

Got my new box with a 6700K (with HD530) and with a Pascal Titan X. Tomorrow will be install day for me.

I've read that what I've to do for getting HD530 graphics into OSX is setting the IGPU as primary GPU in the BIOS. Do I need to take any extra step?

Also, this is going to be a multiboot box (OSX+Ubuntu+Win10). Will Win10 and Ubuntu work fine with the Titan even if I keep the IGPU as primary GPU in the BIOS? Or can I expect undesired behavior from that BIOS setting?

Thanks!

I've given up on trying to get Clover out of low res mode, it's beyond me.

However, I totally see the point of the 1080 now, it's a beast of a GPU. I spent the best part of a day reinstalling my flight sim (Prepar3d) and all its many GB of add-on scenery, and the performance leap is just incredible.

Areas that were giving me 20 fps at best on 2x 670 SLI cards are now well over 50 fps at all times, often up to 70+, and this is with most of the settings turned up much higher than I had them before. I guess it cost about the same as the two 670s, so maybe it wasn't such a bad deal after all.

Also it's low TDP, so that means less heat/noise/etc.
The Pascal architecture is really something else, for sure. I think the next generation will be 10nm (in 3-4 years) and we'll be hitting some really incredible performance/wattage levels.

If you have a GTX1080 right now it should last you for a very long time.

Got my new box with a 6700K (with HD530) and with a Pascal Titan X. Tomorrow will be install day for me.

I've read that what I've to do for getting HD530 graphics into OSX is setting the IGPU as primary GPU in the BIOS. Do I need to take any extra step?

Also, this is going to be a multiboot box (OSX+Ubuntu+Win10). Will Win10 and Ubuntu work fine with the Titan even if I keep the IGPU as primary GPU in the BIOS? Or can I expect undesired behavior from that BIOS setting?

Thanks!

Congrats on the Titan X, that's an incredible card.

For HD530, you don't have to do anything else, just set it as Primary GPU in BIOS.

Win 10 + OS X work fine as long as you follow a certain procedure....which means you need to boot into Windows with iGPU and then switch to your Titan X. Then switch back to iGPU and shut it down/restart if you want to go into OS X. Your screen will be blank if you try to boot into OS X via nVidia card.

I would assume it's the same for Ubuntu. So you boot into Ubuntu with iGPU and switch to nVidia.

Also it's low TDP, so that means less heat/noise/etc.
Well, I briefly tried Elite Dangerous with the maximum DSR oversampling (4K, I think) and the fans went crazy. There are three of them on this card, it sounded like a hairdryer.

Nothing else has taxed it quite that much, so far. It just cruises through every other game (my monitor is only 1920x1200, so oversampling seems to be the only way to bring this GPU to its knees).

Come on, Apple, they've released the mobile versions now. There's no excuse not to get these in the next generation of real Macs.

Well, I briefly tried Elite Dangerous with the maximum DSR oversampling (4K, I think) and the fans went crazy. There are three of them on this card, it sounded like a hairdryer.

Nothing else has taxed it quite that much, so far. It just cruises through every other game (my monitor is only 1920x1200, so oversampling seems to be the only way to bring this GPU to its knees).

Come on, Apple, they've released the mobile versions now. There's no excuse not to get these in the next generation of real Macs.

I'm not much a PC gamer, but the hardest one I had running was Witcher 3 (I think it tops out the GPU), and the EVGA card I have is OC'd out of the box and it runs around 75c under load. The fans kick in and spin at around 50%, but I set a curve on the fan to hit it higher a bit. It's very quiet.

If your case has decent cooling, the GPU shouldn't be hitting the fans at 100%. I think it's the cooler that matters, and from what I've seen the EVGA ACX coolers are really good and quiet.

Also really well programmed apps/games won't hit the card that hard, this thing is a beast and can run on low power for most 3d games. I run at 1440p.

Also regarding the mobile versions, it's crazy they actually put the FULL 1080 Pascal GPU in laptops now (albeit they're fat and wonky)...but it just shows how far GPUs have come.

I really doubt Apple will use nVidia again for a while, they prefer AMD and I assume they get really good prices en masse from AMD on their lower tier GPUs. They even cut a deal on the Trash Pro GPU's where each GPU cost $600 instead of $3000.

I just really wish Apple would give the option to go between AMD and nVidia on iMacs and Mac Pros. They use Xeon and workstation components so I assume they don't want to move to a full consumer desktop platform with the Mac Pros, which is sad because Xeons are the same as i7s, except they usually have more cores that run at lower clock speeds per core.

Then switch back to iGPU and shut it down/restart if you want to go into OS X.

But why does one have to switch back before shutdown? If the iGPU's set as primary GPU shouldn't it be "fixed" in the BIOS, so that you can shut down, using the GTX switch cables AFTER shutdown and reboot into OS X using the iGPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back