Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC today and while it's working fine in Windows 10, my reason for posting is to share my experience of how it operates in El Capitan (v10.11.6).

I have a UHD monitor plugged in via DisplayPort as the primary and a HDMI monitor plugged in as the secondary. El Capitan does NOT see the secondary and doesn't use the maximum/optimum resolution of the UHD monitor; it's stuck at an old, oddball resolution of 1280x1024. The graphical performance is also sub-par.

I also performed a test where the HDMI monitor was the only one plugged in. While the maximum/optimum resolution of 1920x1080 was used, the graphical performance remained sub-par. I tried "hot plugging" in the UHD monitor and it did NOT result in it being recognized.

This is a far cry from the GTX 780 I used to have in this Hackintosh! I makes me wonder if I should keep using it for El Capitan until Sierra comes out and hopefully there will be resolution (no pun intended) for using the GTX 10xx series.

By the way, has anyone tried the latest Nvidia driver (v346.03.15f02) to see if it makes a difference?

Did you check what's the status of your Pascal GPU when running OSX on the IGPU? Does it get warm? Does the fan spin?

Aarrgh!!! The wait for 1070/1080 Pascal drivers is killing me!!!!
I know that feel bro...
We need to write letters to nvidia and create topics in the nvidia forums

We have new answer from NVIDIA Support in that topic

He sad:

Mac driver support for non-Mac specific GPUs has always been unofficial. With that said, our current web drivers are based on R346 branch. Pascal driver support started with R367 branch so when the Mac drivers are updated with that branch is when it will likely work with Pascal GPUs

I don't think those NVIDIA support guys know a lot more than we do.
As a matter of fact Sierra WebDrivers are already based on the R367 branch, but still don't include Pascal support.

Either the Pascal portion of that branch wasn't ported yet or Apple doesn't want them to release the full drivers.

The "R367" is the Sierra beta drivers (at this date/time). There is no support for Pascal in the latest version, 367.10.10.05b01, to the best of my knowledge.

The "R367" is the Sierra beta drivers (at this date/time). There is no support for Pascal in the latest version, 367.10.10.05b01, to the best of my knowledge.
Well it is at a beta stage, I guess it will come anytime soon :D Just bought my 1070 hehe
one question even thou I can't get full gfx acceleration right now is there anyway to at least make it show 1080p resolution? I'm stuck at 1280x1024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back