Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you with new builds WITHOUT IGPU or with improper connectors, I would recommend the route I took. I have my old GTX 660s lying around from before the upgrade. I simply use those to drive my displays in OS X and the 1080 to drive my displays in Windows. Requires a few more cables, but it's a cheap, elegant solution. If you don't have an older card lying around, grab something off eBay for a few bucks. Unless you're trying to drive a 4K monitor or something, anything will really do.

Also some of the AMD GPUs have native UEFI, so you'll also get proper resolution in Clover and Boot, if that matters.

Last edited:
Just my personal experience, using clover's csmvideodxe-64 caused my hack to immediately kernel panic with with the 1070 installed even with nv_disable=1. Simply removing it from the EFI partition didn't fix it; had to uninstall the 1070, rebuild the kext cache, then put the 1070 back in for it to even boot without kernel panic. Working fine now though. Wish nv would release a driver for it. iGPU kinda sucks.

Just my personal experience, using clover's csmvideodxe-64 caused my hack to immediately kernel panic with with the 1070 installed even with nv_disable=1. Simply removing it from the EFI partition didn't fix it; had to uninstall the 1070, rebuild the kext cache, then put the 1070 back in for it to even boot without kernel panic. Working fine now though. Wish nv would release a driver for it. iGPU kinda sucks.

The Haswell CPU you have had an ok iGPU, not sure if you're trying to run at 4k.

The newer Skylake and Broadwell iGPUs are pretty decent. Matter of fact a lot of recent mobile workstations use the iGPU and it works fine.

I have a Haswell CPU in my 2014 Retina MacBook Pro and I force it to run iGPU all the time and it works pretty well at higher resolutions.

So, if I only need the GTX for Windows, but I'd be fine with the Intel HD 530 in OS X, what and how should I set it up?
I've heard about using a discrete graphics card "over the iGPU", like connecting a DP/HDMI cable to the MoBo, and setting the iGPU the primary device for proper use with OS X while changing primary GPU to the GTX with the Nvidia Driver in Windows so that the GTX "sends" the frames to the iGPU an therefore's no need of switching cables physically. Does this work?

So, if I only need the GTX for Windows, but I'd be fine with the Intel HD 530 in OS X, what and how should I set it up?
I've heard about using a discrete graphics card "over the iGPU", like connecting a DP/HDMI cable to the MoBo, and setting the iGPU the primary device for proper use with OS X while changing primary GPU to the GTX with the Nvidia Driver in Windows so that the GTX "sends" the frames to the iGPU an therefore's no need of switching cables physically. Does this work?

Yes, only it isn't necessary to ever set the primary GPU as the GTX if you can get an HDMI switch. They're inexpensive, have one cable go into the switch from the MoBo and have another cable go to the switch from the GTX. Whenever you boot into windows you can just use the included IR remote with the HDMI switch to switch from the iGPU to the GTX and Windows will automatically push the pixels through the GTX when it detects that your monitor is using it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B46XUQU/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I have my old GTX 660s lying around from before the upgrade. I simply use those to drive my displays in OS X and the 1080 to drive my displays in Windows.

Did you have to config anything special in OSX/clover or did this setup just work?

I have a 1080 I want to use, but had to revert to my 770. Mostly because I was trying the 1080 + iGPU setup with cable switch...iGPU for Mac, 1080 for windows. I couldn't get dual monitors off the iGPU to work reliably and I need it for work.

I could add the 1080 and move my 770 down a few PCI slots and then maybe even use that for a PhysicsX card in Windows. I will have to run some benchmarks to check how that affects the PCIe lanes and whether it's a performance bump or not. (I'd think my 850 power supply could handle it?)

No, you can't "push" discreet GPU through iGPU. Only something like a MacBook Pro can do that (the ones with discreet GPUs).

In plain English, at the moment, you will need to use the iGPU for OS X and GTX10x0 for Windows via a cable swap.

JSAlvarez already mentioned an HDMI switch, but I will recommend an affordable DisplayPort switch for an elegant solution.

See these two posts:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070.192399/page-27#post-1294568
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070.192399/page-29#post-1295934

Note, if your monitor has 2x HDMI/DisplayPorts, then you can definitely run 1 DP wire from iGPU port and 1 DP wire from GTX10x0 and switch between inputs. This will cost you nothing but 1 extra DP cable (grab one from Monoprice or Amazon or your local store).

I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display (non Thunderbolt) which obviously has 1 input, so I use the Lindy DP switch to switch between iGPU and GTX1080.

Last edited:
Hey, im a total noob on this website. This is my first post, i just built a pc with i5 6500 and GTX 1070, and I wanted to know if there is any way i can install osx? The only reason is because i produce music on the side and i want to use Logic Pro X

Did you have to config anything special in OSX/clover or did this setup just work?

I have a 1080 I want to use, but had to revert to my 770. Mostly because I was trying the 1080 + iGPU setup with cable switch...iGPU for Mac, 1080 for windows. I couldn't get dual monitors off the iGPU to work reliably and I need it for work.

I could add the 1080 and move my 770 down a few PCI slots and then maybe even use that for a PhysicsX card in Windows. I will have to run some benchmarks to check how that affects the PCIe lanes and whether it's a performance bump or not. (I'd think my 850 power supply could handle it?)

You have to run 2 separate DP cables. One from iGPU and one from your GPU into your monitor.

What are your system specs? It works perfectly on my end.

I basically use iGPU port all the time. If I ever need to go into Windows, I just boot into Windows via iGPU...and once everything is fully loaded I then "switch" to GTX and Windows works perfectly and I can do my thing.

If I need to shutdown from Windows, I just "switch" back to iGPU while under Windows, then when monitor detects the input, I just shutdown/restart back into OS X. You can't miss this step.

Hey, im a total noob on this website. This is my first post, i just built a pc with i5 6500 and GTX 1070, and I wanted to know if there is any way i can install osx? The only reason is because i produce music on the side and i want to use Logic Pro X

Please take out your GPU and install OS X using one of the many guides on this forum. Use the DisplayPort/HDMI port on your motherboard to install OS X fully.

FYI GTX1070/1080/1060 does not work under OS X at the moment.

You can start here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back