Gigabyte H170N
CPU
6700K 4GHz, 32Gb DDR4
Graphics
Nvidia GTX980ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

I built my first Hack about 3 weeks ago and love it. I have a 970 graphics card, how likely is it we can use one of the new 1080/1070 cards early on? Will the Nvidia drivers be updated quite quickly or is it a long wait? Obviously interested in a 1070 but never been around with a Hack after a major GPU refresh so curious to what happened before.

I have the same problem. I just purchased GTX 970 and I'm thinking of returning it. Can anyone predict how long will it take to get it working on a Hack?

I've been waiting for the Pascal cards to upgrade my 660Ti, so I'm also interested in knowing this. I'm also still running Yosemite though, so my additional query would be whether the Pascal cards would work without El Cap (since I've had trouble getting Clover to run).

OS X support might arrive somewhere between "next WebDriver update" and "never".

If history repeats, OS X support (through WebDrivers) will arrive with the next major OS X update (10.12). Maxwell was introduced in February 2014 (GTX 750) and OS X support first appeared with Yosemite Beta drivers end of June.

But since Apple chose AMD as their primary GPU manufacturer some years, Nvidia might also say "F*ck Apple" and never bother to write Pascal drivers. I don't think this will happen, but we can't be sure without any insider information from Team Green.

Yosemite will most certainly never see Pascal support, since Nvidia doesn't back-port their drivers.

Ok Fl0rian thanks for the insight.

I recently bought a GTX 970, still unboxed, was actually going to put it onto the hack this weekend.
Thought about it for a bit and while I could sell this and put a bit more in June to get the 1070, I'm going against it because, with the GTX 970:

1. I can run whatever is sold via Steam on Mac. And gaming on Mac is at a laughable state and I use consoles primarily, and I don't dual-boot.
2. I'm able to easily run all the emulators up to Wii with no fuzz, which is what I intended.
3. It's plenty of power for my -hobbyist- video editing needs.
4. I got a third party 4th or 5th iteration card, so it may take 6 months or so for new 1070 cards to come out with cooling improvements and whatnot vs v1.0.
5. I wanna stop procrastinating and get rid of the little pending tweaks I have with the hackintosh.
6. Like Fl0rian said, it may be a while before we can even get stable kexts for the 1070, so it may be a long shot instead of the "now". Also, since I'm running sound via HDMI, it's not guaranteed Toledo will release a hack soon to do this (or whoever does it), so it may also take a while for sound via HDMI to work with the new babies.
7. I'm still running Haswell, don't drive a 4k monitor, and will be a while before I do, so it would be financially smarter to wait for 1 or 2 new batches of Intel processors after Skylake, when I'd upgrade the system (or rather, build a new hack) along with the "GTX 1170".

As a tech addict sometimes I've rushed into new things, ditching not-so-old perfectly-working ones and then spending months in debt through irresponsible purchases.

This is actually what I'm worried about too as a Mac Owner. I'm hoping that nVidia will provide drivers for these cards to Mac Owners. That would be a lifesaver. I assume that without proper drivers, the card won't work right?

This is actually what I'm worried about too as a Mac Owner. I'm hoping that nVidia will provide drivers for these cards to Mac Owners. That would be a lifesaver. I assume that without proper drivers, the card won't work right?
Yes, for the near term there will be no support for the Pascal chipset Nvidia cards. tonymacx86 and the moderators, who specialize in graphics cards, will post in thid forum section when the Pascal cards are supported in OS X.

I, too, own a couple of Mac Pros, and am like a "horse chomping at the bit" to see Pascal support by either Apple and/or Nvidia. However, the prices on these cards will be outrageously high (to recover R&D costs) for the next year. So, I'm actually going to await the release of the 1070 and 1060 versions to see if there's a better price/performace ratio for my requirements. ( I have a HD 7850 in my 2008 Mac Pro and a R9 280x in my 2010 Mac Pro, both of which run great.)

Don't forget to factor in the upgrading the Pascal card's BIOS with the Mac compatible EFI BIOS for your Mac Pros. MacVidCards (Rominator) and netkas will no doubt market an upgrade. (I've bought my PC cards and sent them to MacVidCards to install the EFI VBIOS add-on, and they work great in my Mac Pros.)

That's too bad! I have been waiting with my Skylake build until this week so I could bridge the (as I hoped, short) waiting time till the 1070 comes out with the built-in Intel GPU.

Would it be possible, though, to e.g. only use the 1070 on Windows and the Intel GPU on OS X instead? I would be fine with swapping between the graphics port on the graphics card and the motherboard when switching operating systems, but opening the case and physically unplugging the graphics card every time would be a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back