Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to support Sierra & Driver xxxx....

That does not mean contains driver xxxx unless your suggesting the 26mb download also contains Sierra?

I think what he was trying to say is that the CUDA interface withing System Preferences will be the new way to download and install WebDrivers from now on? .. at least that's what I got out of it.

Nope and never has been. They are separate and CUDA is 100% optional. Every time there is a new driver update it is followed by a CUDA update. This has been explained 100s of times.

I can confirm this because I am running a GTX 970 and just using that CUDA driver by itself does nothing for me.

I think what he was trying to say is that the CUDA interface withing System Preferences will be the new way to download and install WebDrivers from now on? .. at least that's what I got out of it.

Nope because CUDA is optional and can be installed without the Web Driver.

Nope because CUDA is optional and can be installed without the Web Driver.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest something ridiculous here:

What if with 10.12.3 we get support for Pascal and NVidia decided to update web drivers through the CUDA interface as a means to skip the whole "go online and find your driver" thing and basically just simplify things for users?

I know this is a large thread so it's hard to keep up, but just to reiterate some things:

1) It's highly unlikely anyone will ever be able to port a linux video card driver to OSX. You may have seen drivers for other things (network cards etc) that people 'ported' to OSX, but those are much simpler things than video card drivers. The kernel architectures are completely different, not to mention you have to deal with the whole 'how do I make a metal driver' thing; which you aren't going to get any guidance for from a linux driver. I mean it's possible some rock star will come along and pull it off, but that's a long long shot.

2) The frontline support people don't know anything about this stuff. You're lucky if they even know there's an OSX driver to begin with. Do not believe anything they say about releases or the lack of them. In the same quoted passage above that claimed there is never going to be a 1080 driver, they immediately said something incorrect about the current one. To call the existing web drivers 'simple' and the bare minimum for the OS to recognize the card is pretty out there. I mean, it has G-SYNC support (added when Sierra released, I believe); that's going a bit beyond 'bare minimum'.

The only way anyone is going to know the fate of Pascal drivers is if they somehow manage to get someone in mid to upper nvidia management to make a statement. Companies tend to be pretty tight lipped about this stuff, though.

1: I was afraid so.. so I guess that's the end there?

2: this guy made me look on the website and asked me to tell me where it say that 900 cards are supported.. and yes.. it was not there only 600 cards.. and he said there will never be drivers for pascal like they made for 900 series.. I still don't believe they will never release it.. but he was quite convincing :/

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest something ridiculous here:

What if with 10.12.3 we get support for Pascal and NVidia decided to update web drivers through the CUDA interface as a means to skip the whole "go online and find your driver" thing and basically just simplify things for users?

There is already the Nvidia Driver manager that is installed with the driver so there is no need to "go online and find your driver". They are kept separate because not all GPUs need the Web Driver and not everyone needs CUDA.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.17.59 AM.png

There is already the Nvidia Driver manager that is installed with the driver so there is no need to "go online and find your driver". They are kept separate because not all GPUs need the Web Driver and not everyone needs CUDA.

View attachment 220181

So what if NVidia have decided to change things? The fact that it has always been a certain way does not mean it will never ever change ;)
Maybe they could merge the NVidia driver manager with the CUDA management interface.... who knows.

1: I was afraid so.. so I guess that's the end there?
Hacking drivers from another OS is harder than writing an OpenGL gfx driver for an OSX guest virtual machine, and nobody has been able to achieve that (both because of lack of time and lack of real interest). As you noticed, Pascal drivers for Linux aren't open source, so the reverse engineering effort needed would be overwhelming.

But back to your words, "that's the end there?", I've realized I want to dump Apple completely. Apple has a new direction completely (and I mean completely) opposite to my computing and life interests. I'll try to get running in Linux all the software I need, and I hope to be able to move in a few months timeframe.

So what if NVidia have decided to change things? The fact that it has always been a certain way does not mean it will never ever change ;)
Maybe they could merge the NVidia driver manager with the CUDA management interface.... who knows.

If you want to argue about it, anything is possible but it has been this way for 10+ yrs.

I was talking to a friend that works at Nvidia and he said that from what he knows is that the next Cuda for MAC driver will include Nvidia 375 driver. He thinks that includes pascal support.
All replies to this post have focused on the "will include" rather than on the "375" number. The later is more important. The "will include" can be a misunderstanding after reading the CUDA release notes. But it's more difficult that the "375" be a misunderstanding, and it's the important bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back