Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but they do have multi-view cards up to 8 displays.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvs-product-overview.html

However, these are consumer. FirePro is -sortof- consumer and can support 6 displays (with 2GB of gddr somehow.) I've seen the iMac 5K argument for why this is needed. It's interesting the ultrafine is officially only able to handle 5K with the macbook pro/.

Nvidia is the problem, specifically silicon; 6 display support is not available and not in the roadmap.

Bit of a strong opinion there since almost everything we use relies on open source software, even commercial.

But I agree creative wise, no question.

Reason I say is a lot of us on the Mac use them for non-creative work for the unix core and software development. I was bit from the switch to AMD when I jumped into machine learning.

Linux is useless for anything creative.

There are no Adobe or any apps on that are worthwhile.

The open source stuff is useless in the real world.

Linux is useless for anything creative.

There are no Adobe or any apps on that are worthwhile.

The open source stuff is useless in the real world.

It's true, there is no Adobe on linux, but you can use Krita and Blender in some cases (Depends on your job), both are very good programs for design.

I no longer have hope that Nvidia will remove drivers for the 10x0 series, and it is very sad.

Agreed and I've been using Blender for a lot of things. It's fantastic and support GPUs very well. Rendering through the 1080 is ridiculously faster than running via the 6700k even overclocked.

So much is not utilities on the Mac side since stuck at iGPU. I'm so saddened by it. I do, however, have my 5,1 Mac Pro that I maxed out with 12-cores at 3.46GHz X5690s and a ton of ram and SSDs. it has a "modest" 7950 graphics card that runs really well on it. That machine keeps up to my Hack so I guess I'm good. Only issue is it runs hot.

It's true, there is no Adobe on linux, but you can use Krita and Blender in some cases (Depends on your job), both are very good programs for design.

I no longer have hope that Nvidia will remove drivers for the 10x0 series, and it is very sad.

Valmanway007,
Do you have to do anything special to load the GTX1080 in W10 and have W10 bypass the GTX770?
Thanks.

I'm sorry for being so late but no, I just installed the 770 on the first slot and 1080 on the second. W10 recognizes both cards. I use the gtx 770 with the pc.monitor to web browsing, etc and the gtx 1080 is connected to my 4k tv for gaming. It's so simple.

I have a 970 and a 1080... It just happened. But I only have one pc.

Is it possible to just use the 970 on hack and 1080 on win 10? I'm tired of waiting.

As I said earlier, try installing your 970 on the first slot and the 1080 on the second so you can use your hackintosh. I'm using that config with a gtx 770 and I haven't had any problems so far.

I just sold my GTX 1070 and bought GTX 970. This is sad (though I got some cash back which is nice). I think Apple is loosing their professional market bit by bit. Look at the new Razor Blade 2016 laptop. It has a full featured GTX 1080 inside (yes, on the laptop), very cool MacBook-like design and Retina display! It's what MacBook Pro should've looked like by now if Apple was caring. Seems they don't care anymore.

Last edited:
I just sold my GTX 1070 and bought GTX 970. This is sad (though I got some cash back which is nice). I think Apple is loosing their professional market bit by bit. Look at the new Razor Blade 2016 laptop. It has a full featured GTX 1080 inside (yes, on the laptop), very cool MacBook-like design and Retina display! It's what MacBook Pro should've looked like by now if Apple was caring. Seems they don't care anymore.
yes. but thick bezel + high price ... I still prefer a hack :)

As I said earlier, try installing your 970 on the first slot and the 1080 on the second so you can use your hackintosh. I'm using that config with a gtx 770 and I haven't had any problems so far.

Thanks man. I will try when I get some time.

What would be nice if Apple adds a new AMD or NVidia BTO option for the new Mac Pro....so you can max out with a 1080Ti / Titan X Pascal if you choose to or go with lower end AMD. And they need to dump the Xeon server CPUs and ECC ram and Workstation GPUs. This means cheaper components....etc.

This would open up the world to us in the Hackintosh community too.

They only did that because Nuke is also on Linux. Nuke usually runs on spec built Linux boxes for pro level compositing work.

Adobe stuff is not available for Linux, which is like 90% of the creative market.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be nice if Apple adds a new AMD or NVidia BTO option for the new Mac Pro....so you can max out with a 1080Ti / Titan X Pascal if you choose to or go with lower end AMD. And they need to dump the Xeon server CPUs and ECC ram and Workstation GPUs. This means cheaper components....etc.

This would open up the world to us in the Hackintosh community too.

That would benefit nobody. ECC RAM is there for a reason. Hence the Xeons.

What you want is for Apple to support your hardware and put macOS in the same market niche as Windows - which will never happen because it's not what they do and it's not how they market macOS. In fact, they don't market macOS - they market overpriced hardware in a shiny thin slim enclosure. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back