Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the card for gaming and Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign, and it would be awesome to use the Adobe suite on Mac OS, that I find a much more better SO than Windows. Even though with 10 I don't really feel the urge to switch to Mac.

I would use the iGPU but I have problems with 4k, so nVidia would make a great gift delivering the Web Drivers.

The problem is Tim Cook.

He's a supply chain guy. It's all about numbers. Under Cook, Apple decides it's products based on sales and nothing more. As a result, Apple is a one product company: iPhone. Everything else exists because it's legacy and they still make _some_ money off it, so there's no rush to kill it. But there's also no reason to add resources to it. So as a result, the entire OSX product line stagnates.

Cook doesn't see the importance of Pro level users. Apple's long term strategy is to migrate everyone to iOS. Not today, not tomorrow, but eventually. They just don't have the path to that goal yet.. But they are working on it.

If you really need a high performance card on OSX, get a 980 ti and hang on for as long as you can.

Otherwise, it's Windows or Cloud computing for you..

J

two posts in 24 hours? come on guys! hope hope hope! 200 pages and nVidia will release the webdrivers! :thumbup:

BTW, 378 for linux was released and it's quite snappy. I've been all over the forums as of late and it's clear Nvidia is not idle, but not even responding to the Mac forum. To be fair I don't seen too many responses from the moderator on the 1000 series forum. You do see activity on the linux forum though. With all the discussion and current machine learning and AI activities at Nvidia I'm not shocked they are active on linux.

More empirical evidence.

Lots of heartache on the Mac Pro forum on Mac Rumours as well. Sigh, I wanted to outfit both my 5,1 and Hack with 1080s but the hack-now-ubuntu box will have to keep it.

We're all on eBay looking for 980Ti and maxwell Titan X's

I have finally decided to move my work to linux. I was pretty scared at first, but things went out surprisingly smooth.

I couldn't decide which Linux distribution to pick, after a long search my choiche ended up beeing Kubuntu 16.04.1 bcause I like the style of KDE Plasma.

After the really simple install and setup I installed nvidia drivers and it's been a great experience since then. The only problem I encountered was getting my files from time machine backup (there is a script on GitHub you have to run to be able to copy it). I even managed to get all my iTunes Library and Playlists into Clementine without any problem at all.

The scariest part for me was finding programs that could replace the one I was using on MacOS, well, it turns out there is a lot of awesome software that would run even better on Linux. (e.g. working and exporting videos with kdenlive video editor is far smoother and faster than Final Cut Pro X on the same nvidia GPU, which we know isn't really made for OpenCL and that's what Final Cut uses). Plus, the above mentioned Kdenlive and a ton of other software is completely open source, so you can get it for free and even modify it to meet your needs.

You will also be surprised about how many programs you already use on MacOS are available on Linux: GIMP, obs studio, sublime text, atom and many more, are open source programs that are great on Linux.

I beg your pardon if I am a little bit off topic but I have been following this thread every day since september, hoping to see a driver beeing released and since this pascal drivers will probably never come out and apple won't be making any professional grade computers as of right now, I wanted to share my experience with you. Hoping that someone will read this post and be less scared about switching to Linux. It was a great experience for me.

We setup a linux thread to talk about our moves to Ubuntu. I'm planning on making some videos as well on how to make life better from the Mac perspective.

I've been wanted to try Kdenlive. I'll check it out. I'm on Unity from base Ubuntu.

I have finally decided to move my work to linux. I was pretty scared at first, but things went out surprisingly smooth.

I couldn't decide which Linux distribution to pick, after a long search my choiche ended up beeing Kubuntu 16.04.1 bcause I like the style of KDE Plasma.

After the really simple install and setup I installed nvidia drivers and it's been a great experience since then. The only problem I encountered was getting my files from time machine backup (there is a script on GitHub you have to run to be able to copy it). I even managed to get all my iTunes Library and Playlists into Clementine without any problem at all.

The scariest part for me was finding programs that could replace the one I was using on MacOS, well, it turns out there is a lot of awesome software that would run even better on Linux. (e.g. working and exporting videos with kdenlive video editor is far smoother and faster than Final Cut Pro X on the same nvidia GPU, which we know isn't really made for OpenCL and that's what Final Cut uses). Plus, the above mentioned Kdenlive and a ton of other software is completely open source, so you can get it for free and even modify it to meet your needs.

You will also be surprised about how many programs you already use on MacOS are available on Linux: GIMP, obs studio, sublime text, atom and many more, are open source programs that are great on Linux.

I beg your pardon if I am a little bit off topic but I have been following this thread every day since september, hoping to see a driver beeing released and since this pascal drivers will probably never come out and apple won't be making any professional grade computers as of right now, I wanted to share my experience with you. Hoping that someone will read this post and be less scared about switching to Linux. It was a great experience for me.

Well, a mint condition Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming came up on ebay and I received it on Monday and installed it with the Nvidia web drivers. Had no audio at first but ran Multibeast again with Optional HDAEnabler>Audio ID: 1 and everything is working now.

Overclocked the card a little without any voltage increase in MSI Afterburner and everything is great now!

Last edited:
Yes, when it's supported it works well. I've considered picking one up but the power consumption is too high for the machine I want to put it in. Plus Nvidia has a habit of dropping support for last year models. It's also possible Apple could do something unfriendly in the next release of macOS.

Well, a mint condition Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming came up on ebay and I received it on Monday and installed it with the Nvidia web drivers. Had no audio at first but ran Multibeast again with Optional HDAEnabler>Audio ID: 1 and everything is working now.

Overclocked the card a little without any voltage increase in MSI Afterburner and everything is great now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back