CPU
i5-4460
Graphics
R9 270X
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
Frankly the way things are going, it's their whole Macintosh ecosystem that feels like it's being forced into obsolescence. The main reason I got into Hackintosh in the first place is that Apple is no longer producing systems that meet my needs or can be modified to fit my needs. This ought to be a big deal to them coming from a LONG time and loyal customer going all the way back to the Apple II days. I know I am not alone.
I think you are right sadly, they seem to be placing the MacOs range firmly in the lifestyle make it look slick market and abandoning their power user market. The Mac Pro has not been properly updated for 4 years? and the current one is very much form over function with little way to tailor it to your uses. The iMac has gone down the line of how thin and pretty can we make it that people have reported issues with thermal throttling, not that I am keen on it from a being wasteful of a good screen when it dies point of view, again its a good while since it was upgraded. The mini is too constrained with non changeable ram and using laptop cpu's. I cam understand them putting most effort into laptops as that is where the money is, though the new "pro" is to my mind anything but. I wonder how many people it would take them to keep the desktop lines fairly up to date, Im sure a good while ago they were one of the first to announce machines with new Intel chips. Would it just be a case of having someone keep up with cpu changes so they can just swap them over when they get updated with the exception of times when the socket changes? I was going to but a MacPro until I saw the new one, I wanted to have the ability to put a couple of large capacity hard drives in their and run backups to NAS boxes, not have a load more wires hanging out of it like the last iMac I had (that died wasting a very nice screen). I am beginning to feel tempted by a windows machine, less worry about upgrading the box use any GPU I want and so on. But I work well with Mac Os, I have used it since Photoshop 2 and it is instinctive, I don't need to think where is x on it which I do when using Windows, not that there has been anything wrong with it since Win 7. It feels to me that people like myself and other artists/creatives are being totally ignored by Ive and crew, but it is the same group of us that gave Mac its cool factor and if they still made a machine properly for us would be still there when all the iPhone fans have gone. Dell have announced a 27" graphics tablet that is very similar to being a PC less Surface pro, the Win manufacturers it seems are courting the visual artist. If they can not be bothered making good hardware that they damn well can do as they did it in the past, maybe they should hive off that section to be a separate organisation or release the OS as a stand alone with a list of approved hardware and let others build them. They could have strict agreements on things not looking like a dogs dinner, minimum build standards etc but the Os is too good a thing to lose if their priorities are elsewhere.

No1
Other |  i5 4460 |  HD 4600

Fl0r!an

Motherboard
Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU
Intel i5-6600K
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 280
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@DeviousFusion: This issue exists on all current AMD cards, starting with 2nd gen GCN (Hawaii) through Tonga up to Polaris. It's an issue on our side though, Apple/AMD isn't to blame here. Real Macs won't have such issues.

Motherboard
Asus X-99 Deluxe ||
CPU
Xeon E5-2696 v4
Graphics
2* EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
We get near the 200 pages of speculation of Mac OSX pascal drivers..

I'am glad i have bought first the Evga GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB on the release of the 1000 series
I doubt about to search and find a extra version of this GPU for a SLI setup ( no stock @ shop's here in The Netherlands )

I have also a change to buy a Nvidia Titan X 12GB ( 900 Titan X version )
So i'm curious maybe there are here some video-editors who have experience, and can tell me what's the best option?

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB SLI / EVGA GTX TITAN X SC 12GB

Still mean hoping Apple+ Nvidia will release at some day drivers for the pascal GPU's :shh::banghead:

Motherboard
Asus VIII Hero
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
MacBook Air
Just finished talking to the Nvidia guys in their CES booth and they all seemed to be painfully aware for the demand for macOS Pascal drivers. They said driver development in general was a priority for them and that at this point the holdup was on Apple's end. They also said this was why they were pushing their streaming platforms so that they could operate in a more device agnostic environment.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro RX 480 OC
Mac
MacBook Pro
Sorry @jebuschrast that made my lips into a sad smile. Typical sales rep ********.
Hah yeah. I saw that and thought 'only sales/marketing people would pivot a discussion about OS level drivers to their new shiny (just announced!!!) cloud platform'

Nvidia is guilty of some BS here; but it's important to note that they can't actually ship 100% functional drivers without Apple's help, and Apple has no motivation whatsoever to take on a QA burden for hardware they don't ship. And no, the existing web drivers are not 100% functional.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270 D3H
CPU
i3-7350K OC 4.5GHz
Graphics
RX 580, 1280x1080
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Classic
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes seems like BS as the assumption was about gaming. Apple's sealed box strategy will pretty much remove the Mac from their ecosystem at some point (probably the point) but you still have to develop iOS software from somewhere. I still am confused of the idea if you follow removing creative pros and just about the majority of professional anybody from your ecosystem you leave basic consumer, I still can't see how that gets supported unless they have magic boxes in the future that support their internal dev effort. Or they open XCode.

Either was I don't see any chance on desktop enhancement nor drivers for PCIe display hardware, They haven't made any move in the last few OS revisions indicating they plan to enhance anything related. I'm shocked on how little real GPU enhancement they take advantage of in their apps. I was very excited when they spoke about OpenCL but they've dropped the ball on it. I assumed it was due to NVidia going strong with CUDA.

Hah yeah. I saw that and thought 'only sales/marketing people would pivot a discussion about OS level drivers to their new shiny (just announced!!!) cloud platform'

Nvidia is guilty of some BS here; but it's important to note that they can't actually ship 100% functional drivers without Apple's help, and Apple has no motivation whatsoever to take on a QA burden for hardware they don't ship. And no, the existing web drivers are not 100% functional.

Motherboard
Asus Z170 pro (s1151)
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
Evga GTX 1070 SC 8gb + Asus Strixx GTX 960 2gb OC
After 169 pages, i finally decided not to wait for Pascal drivers and to buy a second Nvidia card (a GTX 960 in second hand, certified by Amazon.fr).

Hack working with:
- GTX 960 in first pcie of my Z170 pro : HDMI (1440p 60hz)
- GTX 1070 in second pcie, for windows only : DisplayPort (1440p 60hz)

Booting in HDMI in Windows (deactivate the GTX 960 in the control panel), select DisplayPort on your screen when you are in Windows to get your 1070 working.

Hack booting so with GTX 960. Installation with i7 6700k with HDMI: select iMac 17.1.
Install Nvidia drivers and booting back: black screen, so reboot without activating the drivers (spacebar when clover menu appears before booting in macOS).
Solution: install AGDPfix, and reboot your hack.

Booting perfectly in macOS 10.12.2 with GTX 960 and fully acceleration in 1440p :)

Last edited:
I have a GTX 1080 and a GTX 960. My monitor is a 34" widescreen with:
  • 1 Display Port
  • 2 HDMI Ports (1 occupied by HTC Vive)
  • 2 Thunderbolt Ports
I was going to ditch my 1080, but is there a way I can use both cards without having to change the display port cable each time I boot into windows? Ideally I would use HDMI for OSX and then DisplayPort for Windows, but I don't think HDMI can do the 3440 x 1440 native resolution of my monitor.