Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wrap my head around how and WHY would an iMac need 5 additional displays... doesn't make much sense.

Besides - even if they support 10 displays with the number of ports rapidly decreasing it won't make much difference soon :D

True but doesn't change this part: "A series of new available positions advertised by Nvidia seek software engineers for the company's Mac graphics drivers team. Qualified applicants should have experience with Apple's Metal cross-platform application programming interface, featured on new Macs as well as iOS devices."

We all know they are working on a new Mac Pro. Just because they went AMD for their laptops doesn't mean it will be the same situation for their desktops.

Maybe is for this?

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...nounced-at-ces-2017?ncid=so-twi-cs27gnnc-4946

(Some) Pascal cards support dp1.3 which can support a 5k 60z signal in one port/cable
True, Polaris does support DP1.3 as well, but it's useless for Apple since TB3 spec doesn't include DP1.3. They have to rely on two DP1.2 streams per display instead.

so can we expect webdriver release soon ? There new Geforce Now support WIndows and MacOS is that the sign for upcoming webdrivers ?

I can't see how Geforce now would have any relevance to webdrivers; the whole point of geforce now is you don't need to have a powerful gpu in your local system.

so can we expect webdriver release soon ? There new Geforce Now support WIndows and MacOS is that the sign for upcoming webdrivers ?

Actually, I would think the introduction of Geforce Now would mean that the drivers are NOT coming. If you think about it, there's no point in diverting resources/personnel in order release (and continue updating) pascal drivers for Mac when you got Geforce Now. I know it's not an ideal solution.

Actually, I would think the introduction of Geforce Now would mean that the drivers are NOT coming. If you think about it, there's no point in diverting resources/personnel in order release (and continue updating) pascal drivers for Mac when you got Geforce Now. I know it's not an ideal solution.
I don't agree.

GeForce Now is only for gaming. It let's you stream the games you own from another server equipped with an high end graphics card (NVidia talked about GTX 1060 or 1080 option).

People that use MacOS, or at least most of them, do not use it for gaming. As windows and even linux are far better supported.

This is why the webdriver could still be released in my opinion: MacOS users won't subscribe to GeForce now, or at least most of them won't because they are not into gaming that much.
Mac users need to have 10 series drivers because they need the power for professional work, a power that neither AMD cards nor Apple itself are delivering yet.

About GeForce Now:
It is very expennsive. I read about 25$ for 2500 credits and one minute will cost you 4 credits for the GTX 1080 and 2 credits for the GTX 1060. This means that 25$ will buy you a bit more of 10h of usage, so in a long term, buying a physical card would be a lot more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back