Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple, while tolerating the hackintosh community at the moment, they certainly don't approve it.
It looks like a ship without captain. They won't approve installing Mac OS on third party boxes, but they won't release properly updated Macs either. Unless somebody takes control of the ship, it's going to crash hard.

Isn't it a purely economical decision?
How many expendable MacPros are still in use? Only those count. If the effort to port a stable (!) driver for the Mac platform outweighs the market share of official clients, then why would they care? Why should they care?

If all their decisions were purely economical I have a hard time believing that would involve continuing to update Solaris x86 display drivers, which they still do.

It's a shame that NVidia hasn't released anything for their 1000 series cards. I wanted to get my first Hackintosh with a Pascal card, but now I'm not so sure anymore, because I don't want to end up getting something that won't have any support. Might get something that's supported out of the box instead, despite it being much slower.

For those considering getting a 900 series instead of the 1000, EVGA is having a sale on their B-Stock (refurbished with 1 year warranty) cards today for what seems like dirt cheap. Saw a 980 TI for around $270 after $30 rebate.

Eh, just ordered 2x980Ti's for SLI (Windows) B-Stock for $269 each (if anyone is interested, they have the 970 SC on sale too). About to put up the 1080 on sale.

Really can't use iGPU anymore, it's driving me insane with terrible performance in apps I use the most and super glitchy.

I'll be using Octane (it supports dual GPU even under macOS).

Am a happy camper now. I won't be upgrading to Sierra for a while. El Capitan is fine.

Thanks a lot, Apple/nVidia.

Eh, just ordered 2x980Ti's for SLI (Windows) B-Stock for $269 each (if anyone is interested, they have the 970 SC on sale too). About to put up the 1080 on sale.

Really can't use iGPU anymore, it's driving me insane with terrible performance in apps I use the most and super glitchy.

I'll be using Octane (it supports dual GPU even under macOS).

Am a happy camper now. I won't be upgrading to Sierra for a while. El Capitan is fine.

Thanks a lot, Apple/nVidia.

Nice one!

i guess i am gonna just go for the 1 980Ti (need 2 DP) and also keep my 1080 just incase :p

@GHSTNNJA I'd be really interested in knowing how you're getting them to work together - my hack just selects the 1080

Whoo it's definitely possible!

I got the dual gfx setup working without much trouble in the end. Unsure why it wouldn't work when I first tested.

I have a 950 with 3DP's connected to 3 x 4K monitors (for work) and the 1080 hooked up to an ultra-wide gaming monitor (X34 - for gaming). I'm waiting on a monitor arm but the idea is that the gaming monitor will come down from the top and sit in front of the 4k screens when I want to game.

I have a 1080 and 950 both plugged into the PCIE slots. Even without any display cables plugged in, the 1080 is recognised by both macOS and UEFI so I can't see anything until the OS has loaded.

The first time it loaded the default display was the 1080 and so I couldn't see the login screen. I used the keyboard to login without being able to see what's going on and then used the display preferences to move the default display to be my middle 4k display.

The next time I rebooted the 4k display showed the stage 2 of boot and the login screen (but still not the bios, clover or stage one of the boot).

I'm really happy with this (admittedly extravagant) setup - it started out as a gaming rig then I got rid of my iMac and went to work on the hackintosh side of things.

I'm finding Exposé to be sluggish when I have too many windows open across the three displays (15 - 20 or so), I'm unsure if the 950 is the reason for this or if it's just the software, I may upgrade to a 980 at some point if it continues to annoy me enough.

Something to consider is that my motherboard mentions running the 1080 at x8 speed if a PCIE card is plugged into the second PCIE slot. Unsure if there's a way around it and/or how much impact this will have on gaming on the 1080, I assume the 950 is only making use of the 8x speed anyway so that shouldn't matter. I'll update once I've given it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back