Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what kind of "help" Nvidia needs from Apple. I'd understand I he just wasn't interested (for money reasons) didn't want to **** of Apple. But "help"? They obviously know how to make graphics drivers for OS X, the WebDrivers just made a huge version jump with Sierra, and they also ported everything to Metal last year.
Agreed, I'm still a little confused about that as well...

Just wait for Radeon Pro cards. See how they perform, and if the price is right, jam two of them in your system and live happily.

I pray to Hacker GOD !! Please Help Your Hackintosh lover Child !! And give me the driver that will not only work with Pascal but also 1100 Series of Nvdia. lul He He!!! :lol::lol::lol:

IMO, I wouldn't read too much into this. Maxwell cards were never officially supported - Huang would have said the same thing back then and probably still would now. The support came in the driver version number - basically tucked away. Huang can't come out and say "Yeah Nvidia will support cards that aren't officially licensed Apple hardware". That would NEVER happen and has never been publicized. I can guarantee Apple had ZERO part to do with previous web drivers like Huang described needing for Pascal. There was never a Maxwell chip in an Apple machine and they were 100% supported in later driver versions under the radar. Remember officially these are beta drivers for chips present in Mac machines, nothing else. The beta drivers officially only publicly support the following cards: GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce GT 120, GeForce 8800 GT, Quadro K5000 for Mac, Quadro 4000 for Mac, Quadro FX 4800, and Quadro FX 5600. It has been a gift that we had support for newer cards. It also took around 6 months for support for Maxwell... The last supported Nvidia chip in an Apple machine was the Nvidia 780M - that was Kepler. They are still updating drivers with every OS X update therefore they have the source code they need to publish them. That is promising to me.

I think a more appropriate question for this Richard Goga to have asked is if drivers above 368.whatever would be released as the Beta version for Mac, ignoring the Pascal identifier. Before everyone starts throwing their 1060/1070/1080s on eBay, lets just take a step back and take the wait and watch approach a bit longer. 10.12.2 should be out in a couple of weeks...

Just wait for Radeon Pro cards. See how they perform, and if the price is right, jam two of them in your system and live happily.

You are kidding right? These GPU's are pathetic.

Unfortunately there is no way in hell I am downgrading my watercooled Titan X Pascal back to my old 980ti, either this driver happens or I'm jumping ship soon, hackintosh isn't what it used to be anyways. I have tried the internal GPU route and it is simply too buggy, display constantly blacks in and out at random and sick of moving my display port cable between cards.

I would happily crowd fund a driver development program but lets be realistic here people, making a driver from scratch for a small team even if it is possible would be 6 months at least if they didn't run off with your money in the first place. 6 months is unacceptable to put up with this unfortunately.

I'm not sure what kind of "help" Nvidia needs from Apple
No Nvidia/Pascal product solves a 2017 Apple discreet graphics problem. Ars Technica/Andrew Cunningham makes the requirements clear:
Late 2016/MacBook Pro 15": 5x DP1.2 (internal + 2x 5K external), 35W (Radeon Pro)
Early 2017/iMac 27": 6x DP1.2 (5K screen + 2x 5K external), 75 - 125W (Radeon Pro)
2017/Mac Pro: 6x DP1.2 (3x 5K external), 2x 100 - 130 W/GPU (Radeon Pro WX)

Pascal issues: no 35 W, no 6x DP1.2, $$$$ Quadro/Pascal

It's sad what's happening to the Mac. I was waiting until the last minute in order to see if I should buy another SSD for moving my Linux installation to it (it's on HDD now) and using it as my primary OS in my box instead of MacOS. And it certainly seems I have to take that step. It's going to be uncomfortable to live outside MacOS, but I need top graphics performance for my work, so I don't see any other option.

I feel ya aokman! I am in a similar predicament - heavily invested in Apple (software AND hardware) but several machines are now outdated and the two primary ones are (a) DEAD! and (b) unreliable... about to die any time.

So I have moved to Workstation with (ta-da) a 1060GPU (power and efficiency) - but then stone me, bloody nVidia does not support them despite this unified driver architecture theyŕe always bragging about.

Of course, I have GNU+Linux boxes to fall back on (this is a Mate 16.04 station) but some of my software ONLY runs on node-locked Mac licenses and/or is only available for Macs. This is infuriating and even Windows is not a viable option even if I was prepared to go that route (which Iḿ not).

Ever since Steve Jobs got poorly, the firm has gone to hell and from what Iḿ seeing, things are only getting worse. You can only rely on your reputation and customer good will for so long before people start looking elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back