Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080/1070

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look here for a very good explanation of why they have chosen a AMD GPU instead of a NVIDIA:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/16/macbook-pro-why-amd-gpu/

Judging by Jensen's comments and Apple's current endeavors, it seems the most sensible direction for the time being would be in the optimization of dual cards for respective operating systems.

Of course, downgrading to 9xx series cards and lessening performance on the Windows side would be the easiest solution, but is inevitably less ideal than one or possibly two current gen cards working together (e.g. 10XX/9XX, 10XX/AMD).

I agree. Think for the foreseeable future Its going to be a individual preference if the user wants a 9 series or AMD for their MacOS side and whatever they want for windows. Dual switch will be the way forward.

Lets assume that email from the CEO of Nvidia is legit, this implies that they haven't EVEN STARTED on drivers for macOS yet. First, they need the collaboration, then develop and test before release. Imo, assuming Apple gets on board with Nvidia, the earliest we see drivers for will be in next year's macOS.

Bad, it's a higher chance, that new MacPro will be with AMD as last one(

However.... Nvidia has great GTX1060 GPU, this one can fit small MacPro case, performance is almost the same with Radeon 480, but much lower TDP.

1060 compute performance is too low. Apple don't care about gaming. There care about compute and video rendering etc.

Now Who is going to make Pascal Driver for us? :banghead:
Loss of :crazy: $300 bucks !! :banghead:

Is it possible to make them if we are not Nvidia? If so, we should do a fundraising!

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nvidia-gtx-1080.1971528/page-16#post-24011049

So the CEO of Nvidia implies that without support from Apple no support for GTX 1xxx series on MacOS.
Looking at Apple's current strategy we really might be screwed. Only hope is now that Apple remembers again in 2017 that they have Mac Pros and maybe (maybe) a refreshed iMac with Nvidia GPU... I seriously doubt it though.

$729 here (EVGA GTX1080 FTW). But I got good use of it outside of macOS :D

I might just get a used 980Ti or a Maxwell Titan (theyre a bit pricey tho).

Since I use an mATX mobo, I don't really have space for a second PCIe card.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nvidia-gtx-1080.1971528/page-16#post-24011049

So the CEO of Nvidia implies that without support from Apple no support for GTX 1xxx series on MacOS.
Looking at Apple's current strategy we really might be screwed. Only hope is now that Apple remembers again in 2017 that they have Mac Pros and maybe (maybe) a refreshed iMac with Nvidia GPU... I seriously doubt it though.

I'm not sure what kind of "help" Nvidia needs from Apple. I'd understand I he just wasn't interested (for money reasons) didn't want to **** of Apple. But "help"? They obviously know how to make graphics drivers for OS X, the WebDrivers just made a huge version jump with Sierra, and they also ported everything to Metal last year.

So looking at this thread, it appears NVIDIA doesn't want to release the Pascal drivers. Does this mean they're not interested in the Hackintosh community?

So looking at this thread, it appears NVIDIA doesn't want to release the Pascal drivers. Does this mean they're not interested in the Hackintosh community?
Nvidia wants business with Apple in the future and is playing nice.
Apple, while tolerating the hackintosh community at the moment, they certainly don't approve it. So if Apple offers no Pascal option with recent Mac hardware, doesn't support eGPU and doesn't update the Mac Pro, Nvidia has little excuse for releasing pascal drivers at the moment.

If anything, the comment from the CEO gives us a peace of mind that Pascal isn't on the horizon as long as Apple doesn't offer any hardware option with Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back