Graphics
NVidia GeForce GTX 560-Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok so, i'm a first timer in hackintosh and i was planning on getting a new hackintosh with
a 3770k ivy bridge CPU and the soon to be released GA-Z77X-UP5 TH mobo and i had two questions:

First, The Graphics:
Ok so i know that the motherboard has the intel hd4000 graphics so i was wondering do i need a graphics card to support it? (or do the hd4000 graphics even work with hackintoshes) and if i'm going to get a graphics card i'm probably going with the GTX 560 Ti ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130604 )
i mainly need the hackintosh for 3d work and i'm hoping to start learning video editing and some casual gaming so i think i HAVE to have a video card
btw, if i have both the intel hd4000 and the gtx 560 which will the computer choose or what exactly will happen

Second, The SSD:
Ok so looking through the mobo product page i starting learning what mSata was and i found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0S2%2064GB in the compatible mSATA's for my mobo
i'm planning to use it to speed up booting
would anyone of you recommend also putting the 3d software so it can open quickly?
Last Question, will this mSATA work on 3gb/s or 6gb/s because if it's on 3gb/s isn't just faster to get a 6gb/s normal SSD? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE SPEED :beachball:

Thanks, and please i wan't SURE answers since this is my first time and i don't want a lot of trouble! :thumbup:

Re: NOOB: Graphics Card & mSata advice

To do Intel HD and a Discrete GPU to work I believe you need AMD cards. However, this was for HD3000 so I won't say if it works with HD4000. If this build is for 3D, then consider a little bit older card like a GTX470,480.

mSata, will run at 3GB speed. If this is for a boot drive only then don't worry about 3 or 6 GB. Unless, a few seconds faster boot matters that much.

If you will be running lion then you will need a GPU because the HD 4000 isn't supported in lion but it should be in Mountain Lion.

If you do have a GPU then in the BIOS you can choose to use the HD 4000 or the descrete GPU. Just make sure you plug your video cables into the GPU and not the motherboard.

Albertsw said:
If you do have a GPU then in the BIOS you can choose to use the HD 4000 or the descrete GPU. Just make sure you plug your video cables into the GPU and not the motherboard.

Ok so which would you say is better staying with the hd4000 or a descrete GPU ?
and if u choose the latter, then any GPU suggestions

Thanks again!

Solidww said:
mSata, will run at 3GB speed. If this is for a boot drive only then don't worry about 3 or 6 GB. Unless, a few seconds faster boot matters that much.

so a seperate 6gb/s ssd would technically be a few seconds faster?
(it's not a matter of life and death, but i wanna feel i did the best i could choosing components)

I thought I read somewhere that the mSata really only improves your boot up time if you're running a mechanical drive where you would normally boot off of. Not so much if your are already running an SSD with your OS on.

Im running SSD and boot up time is ~8-9 secs from boot. if i'm not mistaken mSata also makes use of caching for programs use frequently use...

chingon said:
I thought I read somewhere that the mSata really only improves your boot up time if you're running a mechanical drive where you would normally boot off of. Not so much if your are already running an SSD with your OS on.

Im running SSD and boot up time is ~8-9 secs from boot. if i'm not mistaken mSata also makes use of caching for programs use frequently use...

Wow?? 8-9 secs? my computer just clocked in at 90 secs

hmm but which is faster a mechanical drive on mSATA or an SSD? i don't think it will make a big difference but i just want to know so i can have the best i can :)

YK97 said:
hmm but which is faster a mechanical drive on mSATA or an SSD?

mechanical drives are way slower. SSD is the way to go ...you actually cant plug a mechanical drive to your mSATA port...

this port is for an mSATA drive which plug into the mobo directly....rather than using a sata cable

of course SSD drives are a bit more expensive ....

ill have to do a little bit more reading to see if you can even boot off the mSATA...

if you're thinking about the newest upcoming GA-Z77X-UP5 TH... you might want to wait and see what ML will support as far as thunderport ports...

from the specs....audio and LAN should work fine...and wait for ML for the full support on HD4000 video

Use your SATA 6Gbs ports for reading your media files while editing or as a scratch disk for those 3D animations you plan to do. The mSATA port will serve best as another drive to boot or just simply another SSD.

Just an FYI, the amount of time you will save going with a GTX 570 vs. a GTX 470 when your doing rendering will also only be seconds. :clap: :banghead: :clap: So, their really isn't a need to go and get the bestest, fastest, most expensive parts.

Solidww said:
Use your SATA 6Gbs ports for reading your media files while editing or as a scratch disk for those 3D animations you plan to do. The mSATA port will serve best as another drive to boot or just simply another SSD.

Just an FYI, the amount of time you will save going with a GTX 570 vs. a GTX 470 when your doing rendering will also only be seconds. :clap: :banghead: :clap: So, their really isn't a need to go and get the bestest, fastest, most expensive parts.

Wait so what you're saying is having the mSATA for booting and another SSD for storing my video editing files? that's hard for me since it's a bit too expensive and well ML (if i will use ML) is 4gb and all my media programs and such are all about 25gb so i don't think i need 2 64gb SSD's
Here's the Question 1 large 64G SSD (if so mSATA or Normal) for both booting + files or two smaller SSD's (capacity ideas?) one mSATA for booting and normal for files

Ok so you recommend using a discrete graphics card rather than the intel hd4000 is better/faster, and let's say if anything happens to the graphics card i'll have the hd4k as a backup?

Sorry for the trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back